• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

NI Thumpers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

K9-70

They have actually scrapped or retired all of them already.

They are holding a class80 rail tour later next month http://modernrsi.webs.com/upcomingtours.htm

but not sure if that will actually go ahead now :/

There is a class80 in service with the East Lancs Railway in england.

Not yet scrapped, stored at BA unserviceable, 8082, 8089 & 8093.
In service, 8090 & 8094, 8069 stored OOS, 8097 Sandite in the paintshop.

Only if the 80's remain in service, AFAIK, if the 80's fail, then the railtour won't run.

The 80 Class #8099, at the ELR is non operating. Bought for spare parts only.

No plans at present to save a 80 Class for preservation, though plenty of crap talk.

89-763-733

I think what K9 means is that there is plenty of talk about preserving an 80, none of which develops into a serious proposal, much like all the hot air that is expanded by those allegedly campaiging for the Derry/Londonderry to Coleraine line.

It does not help that the one place where it is likely a preserved 80 could run, Downpatrick, REJECTED THE DONATION OF AN 80 CLASS AT NO COST TO THEMSELVES in 2005

102 fan

I think what K9 means is that there is plenty of talk about preserving an 80, none of which develops into a serious proposal, much like all the hot air that is expanded by those allegedly campaiging for the Derry/Londonderry to Coleraine line.

It does not help that the one place where it is likely a preserved 80 could run, Downpatrick, REJECTED THE DONATION OF AN 80 CLASS AT NO COST TO THEMSELVES in 2005

Seriously? I didn't know that. Did they give a reason?

4SRKT

Established Member
In 2005 it will likely have been in good nick. I don't think it was a specific 80, just a case of 'you can have one when we've finished with it.'

89-763-733

It would have been 92 plus 752 which were adjudged to be in the best condition at the time (indeed 752 is still in service)

Downpatrick claimed that they were short of space but this did not stop them taking the ITG locos later when they had not gained any additonal space. (There is an additional shed currently under construction)

K9-70

Downpatrick claimed that they were short of space but this did not stop them taking the ITG locos later when they had not gained any additonal space. (There is an additional shed currently under construction)

That is correct, but the other side of the story is, steam brings in customers, diesel railcars don't, plus at the time, the 80 Class where still in service with N.I.R.. So why would anyone want to travel on a preserved 80 Class railcar?

Also, back in 2005, the ITG had discussed about the possibility of some of their locomotives operating at D/Patrick. The option wasn't taken up then due to lack of a secure storage area.

4SRKT

Established Member
That is correct, but the other side of the story is, steam brings in customers, diesel railcars don't, plus at the time, the 80 Class where still in service with N.I.R.. So why would anyone want to travel on a preserved 80 Class railcar?

Frankly, if that attitude were common, virtually nothing would ever have been preserved. Such organisations as the DPS and CFPS were formed years before either Deltics or 40s were taken out of service. The amount of commitment and organisation required, plus an eye on what the future may hold, means foresightedness is essential. Turning down the offer of a FREE train seems madness, especially as that train has been the default backbone of railways in NI for 30 years. The more I hear of railway groups in Ireland, the more I want to tear my hair out and smash my skull into the table.

89-763-733

90+94 update on behalf of ITS:

The set has been in service today but 90 has not been loading properly. 90 is now attempting to get the 1715 back to Belfast on its own as 94 failed at Larne Town!

UPDATE: driver managed to restart 94 at Magheramourne.

Also today 459 worked 1158 Coleraine-Derry/Londonderry and 1310 return because somebody in Belfast sent a 6 car CAF on the 1040 ex Central by mistake !!!!!!

Last edited:

K9-70

Frankly, if that attitude were common, virtually nothing would ever have been preserved. Such organisations as the DPS and CFPS were formed years before either Deltics or 40s were taken out of service. The amount of commitment and organisation required, plus an eye on what the future may hold, means foresightedness is essential. Turning down the offer of a FREE train seems madness, especially as that train has been the default backbone of railways in NI for 30 years. The more I hear of railway groups in Ireland, the more I want to tear my hair out and smash my skull into the table.

Your forgetting one thing, this is Northern Ireland your talking about, not the Uk. Around 90% view the steam train operating on the mainline as a novelty and may or may not travel on it. The other 10% are either operating it or working on other projects supporting it.

Many will bring there kiddies to see and ride behind a steam locomotive, especially around Easter and Christmas time. The rest of the year, you rarely see them out watching/photographing or travelling on other trains.

Yes, that was a good move by the DPS and CFPS. Those two locos had a good following, also helped by coverage in the magazines of the day.

Sadly, unlike a certain origination in Northern Ireland, who's views back then and up to a point today, still maintain that if it's not steam, it's not worth bothering about saving. However, that is slowly starting to change as younger members come on board.

Many years ago, a friend and I visited Whitehead. I inquired about the LMS/NCC diesel railcar No.1 that I had seen stored out in the open back in 1979 when I first visited Whitehead. I was told it was in very poor condition and dumped in the back of the shed. My friend then asked about a certain steam locomotive that he'd seen when he was a kid, he was taken by the hand and shown around while I was left standing wishing I had never asked the question.

"Turning down the offer of a FREE train seems madness" I agree.
They may have been the backbone of services in Northern Ireland for over 30 years, but there were other railcars and one diesel locomotive before that, that could have been saved.

102 fan

I assume your referring to 102? When talk of restoring her first was first discussed, I remember the wave of negativity there was. I remember at one point being told to start my own heritage railway to restore it! I got so disenchanted with Irish preservation that I started restoring vintage farm machinery.

To get back on topic, the Class 80's are what I grew up with, my earliest rail memories are going to bangor on one, and I heard thier engines and saw them and travelled on them whilst visiting my grandparents. They are MY nostalgia, and it really annoys me that one isn't going to be preserved. <(

K9-70

I assume your referring to 102? When talk of restoring her first was first discussed, I remember the wave of negativity there was. I remember at one point being told to start my own heritage railway to restore it! I got so disenchanted with Irish preservation that I started restoring vintage farm machinery.
No, earlier than that, the GNRI 800 Class "The MAK"
One of the reasons why I never joined them. They had no interest back then in the modern railway scene.

To get back on topic, the Class 80's are what I grew up with, my earliest rail memories are going to bangor on one, and I heard thier engines and saw them and travelled on them whilst visiting my grandparents. They are MY nostalgia, and it really annoys me that one isn't going to be preserved. <(

Never liked the 80's when they first arrived. You couldn't see the track ahead when travelling in the power car or mule end.:(
My earliest rail memories are, watching steam locos on freight and passenger service. Travelling to Bangor on a MED, Carrickfergus on either a MED or MPD, and Lisburn on a Blue & Cream GNRI AEC or BUT railcar.:D

K9-70

I did 90+94 last week. It was my 1st ever trip to Ireland & I was very impressed, and I was aware of their relability issue's, but thought it was worth going over. I was also hoping to do a 450 to Derry, but it was only a single caf, but really it should have been a pair, as it was full & standing.

Enjoyed the 450's aswell.

I T S

Last 80 class passenger service under NIR's revenue earning timetable should be the 1715 Larne Town/Belfast Central on Friday 23rd September. 2 days later a charter is penciled in to run as the last passenger service ever. But for NIR's last passenger service with the 80, 23rd September.

Sandite duties commence on the 25th September (Nightshift) and will run until mid-december. The 80 class will then be withdrawn and ..... well what will happen?

4SRKT

Established Member
Why not convert a 450 now in that case, since they'll be getting phased out soon anyway? Would save converting the 80 this year and then a 450 next year.

D6700

Just for info, 90+94 were out today until the 12:12 Belfast Central to Carrickfergus, after which the set returned ECS to Yorkgate depot. This was not due to a fault with the units, but as a reaction to an incident on the line. I don't know if they returned to service later in the day.

Bobbie

I think its total craziness that a class80 wont be preserved!!
Alot of memories of her when i was a child, first rail experience and going to portrush for the summer holidays every year.
These rolling stock have been with the network for years, I dont understand why no one will preserve one ?
Would anyone be willing to help me preserve one if that is even possible?

GM078

These rolling stock have been with the network for years, I dont understand why no one will preserve one ?

Would anyone be willing to help me preserve one if that is even possible?

Probably because the existing preservation groups (or at least the three that I can think of) are stretched for volunteer resources to keep their operational stock going (trust me, I know from experience!), with many already preserved carriages and locos awaiting restoration as it is. As far as mainline running is concerned, railcar by its nature as less opportunity to earn its keep. I agree it would be nice to see one preserved, I don't think there's ever been any doubt as to them be worthy of preservation.

It's admirable that you're willing to try though, there does seem to be a bit of interest in them on this and other forums, one suggestion might be to set up a working group of potential volunteers. Not too long ago a similar group did this hoping to preserve some Small GM locos, and they successfully persuaded the RPSI that the project was viable. I can see issues with the 80 class in terms of mainline running (limited ability to market frequent tours using these, whereas diesel locos can use existing carriages and operate the likes of "Mystery trains" which appeal to general public). For these reasons I would suspect an 80 class would have more chance at a preserved railway than it would with a mainline organisation. Might be worth a shot at organising such a group though. There seems to be a few people who want an 80 preserved so there's a potential volunteer base to start off with.

electra27000

Probably because the existing preservation groups (or at least the three that I can think of) are stretched for volunteer resources to keep their operational stock going (trust me, I know from experience!), with many already preserved carriages and locos awaiting restoration as it is. As far as mainline running is concerned, railcar by its nature as less opportunity to earn its keep. I agree it would be nice to see one preserved, I don't think there's ever been any doubt as to them be worthy of preservation.

It's admirable that you're willing to try though, there does seem to be a bit of interest in them on this and other forums, one suggestion might be to set up a working group of potential volunteers. Not too long ago a similar group did this hoping to preserve some Small GM locos, and they successfully persuaded the RPSI that the project was viable. I can see issues with the 80 class in terms of mainline running (limited ability to market frequent tours using these, whereas diesel locos can use existing carriages and operate the likes of "Mystery trains" which appeal to general public). For these reasons I would suspect an 80 class would have more chance at a preserved railway than it would with a mainline organisation. Might be worth a shot at organising such a group though. There seems to be a few people who want an 80 preserved so there's a potential volunteer base to start off with.
The reliability of the 80 class also makes running a preserved one on the mainline difficult.

MK Tom

Established Member
What about the 80 class trailer that's at the ELR? Fit standard gauge bogies to that and run it on one of Britain's eight million preserved lines? I think it's sad that Ireland as a whole only has one Irish gauge preserved line. Narrow gauge to spare but only one line capable of running ex IE/NIR stock.

I T S

Several rumours circulating the rails today, about Sundays tour being doubtful with regards to operating. The stock is available at present, (Just departed Whitehead 5 down with the 1342xBelfast). I would encourage anyone in GB who wants to travel on this tour to make plans as I can't see a reason the stock won't be available. As qouted, from the MRSI, to ensure the tour runs on Sunday throughout, a on board fitter will be present to resolve any problems which occur.

102 fan

I'm working on Sunday. I hope to travel on the last Timetable run on Friday.

GM078

What about the 80 class trailer that's at the ELR? Fit standard gauge bogies to that and run it on one of Britain's eight million preserved lines? I think it's sad that Ireland as a whole only has one Irish gauge preserved line. Narrow gauge to spare but only one line capable of running ex IE/NIR stock.

There is another group looking into the possibility of setting up a 5'3'' gauge heritage line in the Irish Republic. Link. I think they're still at the research stage though.

It's indeed a pity there's only one Irish standard gauge preserved line, although there were some well meaning attempts to set up other ones by groups like the GSRPS and West Rail back decades ago. I suppose the enthusiast fraternity just isn't big enough in Ireland, and of those enthusiasts even less are willing to get their hands dirty by getting involved in preservation. I hope there is some eleventh hour reprieve for the 80s all the same... in many ways there were NIRs equivalent of CIÉ's 141 class, a workhorse that kept the system going for decades.

06:25 Belfast Central > Whitehead
07:30 Whitehead > Central
08:20 Central > Whitehead
09:00 Whitehead > Central
09:42 Central > Larne Harbour
10:57 Harbour > Central
12:12 Central > Carrickfergus
13:00 Carrickfergus > Central
13:42 Central > Harbour
14:57 Harbour > Central
16:12 Central > Larne Town
17:15 Town > Central

Failing this the other possible diagram is:

06:57 Great Victoria Street > Whitehead
07:56 Whitehead > Central
08:42 Central > Harbour
09:57 Harbour > Central
15:30 York Road > Carrickfergus ECS
16:00 Carrickfergus > Central
16:42 Central > Town
17:43 Town > Central
18:50 Central > Town
19:50 Town > Central.

Both of these are M-F only, and the first one is much more likely and has been the regular turn since last Autumn. Prior to that it worked the peak time only one regularly. It never works diagrams that either start or finish at Larne.

If your boat gets in at 17:00, your only hope for an 80 class that day is to take the 17:47 450 class north from Yorkgate (much nearer docks than Central) to Greenisland for a plus two into the 17:15 Larne Town > Central.

On the second day you should be cool for almost the whole diagram. I wouldn't risk an arrival back at Yorkgate at 18:18 on the 17:15 ex-Larne for a 19:00 boat, but you can bail from the 16:12 at either Carrickfergus or Downshire for a move back to Yorkgate. Leaping at Whitehead (passing place on single line) is a move to oblivion so do not risk it. It looks good in the book, but doesn't work for Belfast > Whitehead > Belfast moves. The train from Larne is let in first, and departs as soon as the train from Belfast arrives.

Hi folks,

I've been reading this site on and off for a while now and thought it was high time I create an account.

Can anyone confirm that the last remaining 80 class set WILL work this diagram on Friday ending with the 17:15 Larne Town - Belfast Central?

I was aware that the 80's and 450's were on the way out but I thought that they would at least be around until the end of the year so It came as quite a shock to find that this was the final week when I first read this a few days ago!
I have Friday off so I'm considering coming over to spend the day riding around on the set for its last day in service as I cannot make the tour on Sunday.

So my question is, is it worth taking the risk and coming over then only to find that it has failed?! I plan to get the 03:30 ferry over from Stranraer and maybe join the set at Yorkgate whilst its working the 07:30 Whitehead - Central. The ferry docks at 06:30, I think Yorkgate is the nearest station to the docks?
Then after a day of thumper bashing I'd get the Voyager back to Stranny at 17:00. I've not booked ferry tickets yet as I'm not sure if its worth the risk?
So does anyone have any idea if this will run? I know reliability has not been the best in recent months.

Any advice very much appreciated.

Oh, and hello from Glasgow!
:)

Cheers,
Kris.

Status
Not open for further replies.