• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

NI Thumpers

Status
Not open for further replies.

4SRKT

Established Member
If the 80 is working on Friday it will almost certainly work that diagram. It can only work diagrams that start and end in Belfast (no Larne overnights), so that's the one. 450s have more life in them yet, so if you don't get any 80 class action you'll still have a great day. Reliability being what it is nothing is guaranteed, but NIR are so short of sets that anything gets pressed into service.

Yorkgate is the nearest station to the docks. It's about a 40 minute walk from the ferry terminal (bring a map!). If the boat's on time you will be able to pick up the 07:29 Central > Larne Harbour at Yorkgate (450 class) out as far as Greenisland and take the 07:30 Whitehead > Central back in from there for a bit more DEMU action (and a lot less hanging about at Yorkgate, surely the ugliest location on the Irish railway system).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I T S

If the 80 is working on Friday it will almost certainly work that diagram. It can only work diagrams that start and end in Belfast (no Larne overnights), so that's the one. 450s have more life in them yet, so if you don't get any 80 class action you'll still have a great day. Reliability being what it is nothing is guaranteed, but NIR are so short of sets that anything gets pressed into service.

Yorkgate is the nearest station to the docks. It's about a 40 minute walk from the ferry terminal (bring a map!). If the boat's on time you will be able to pick up the 07:29 Central > Larne Harbour at Yorkgate (450 class) out as far as Greenisland and take the 07:30 Whitehead > Central back in from there for a bit more DEMU action (and a lot less hanging about at Yorkgate, surely the ugliest location on the Irish railway system).

With regards to diagrams, the 80 class is only allowed to work that diagram as it as a dedicated crew and that's the roster for them.

At present, the 80 class didn't leave York Road. Unconfirmed reports that it's testing with Sandite unit 97 for next week hence it's not out today. All being well it should be out for Friday for the last NIR passenger service worked by an 80.

I'll post more gen tomorrow once I hear if it's done testing with 97

Thanks so much for the info 4SRKT and I T S.

I'm just booking my Stena etickets atm. I think I'll take the metro into town from the docks and go on hunt down an Ulster Fry! - (Can you recommend anywhere good?!):D Before taking the 450 up to Greenisland at 07:29 to join the 80 back into town from there.
Btw I have heard there’s something along the lines of a 'freedom of NI' ticket I can get for £15 to use all over NI on all the trains and buses? Does anyone know more?
Also, am I right in thinking that everything on the Larne line through the week is currently worked by 450's or 80's atm?

Thanks again guys, local knowledge is always helpful!

Cheers,
Kris.

I T S

Unconfirmed, but sounds pretty solid enough gen. The 80 class has been removed from passenger service. It is currently on test with the Sandite for next week's spraying, however the 80 Class 4 car set will be reformed for Sunday's Charter.

Thanks so much for the info 4SRKT and I T S.

I'm just booking my Stena etickets atm. I think I'll take the metro into town from the docks and go on hunt down an Ulster Fry! - (Can you recommend anywhere good?!):D Before taking the 450 up to Greenisland at 07:29 to join the 80 back into town from there.
Btw I have heard there’s something along the lines of a 'freedom of NI' ticket I can get for £15 to use all over NI on all the trains and buses? Does anyone know more?
Also, am I right in thinking that everything on the Larne line through the week is currently worked by 450's or 80's atm?

Thanks again guys, local knowledge is always helpful!

Cheers,
Kris.

So does does this mean that Fridays Diagram will be a 450?
I'm going to be back in Belfast for a few days in late November, will there be any 450's still in service then?

Also, do you know what the latest is with the Gatwick set? I take it it no longer works the Portadown - Belfast morning run?

I T S

Gats will never return id say

Friday's diagram most likely a 450 but that could easily change if they get the sandite testing completed quick enough,

beside's that - we shud have a 450s until next feb/march

I T S

80 class was not out today. Currently testing with 97 for Sandite. Should be reassembled for Sundays tour!

So no 80 action for me today then..? :( Too bad... I'm inthe middle of the North Channel atm on the good ship Stena Ngavigator! Guess 450 will have to do for today then. Anyway, time for some doss!

I T S

80 CLASS IS OUT ON PASSENGER SERVICE FOR THE LAST TIME UNDER NIR's timetable

The following:

0942 CL/LR 1041
1057 LR/CL 1156
1212 CL/CS 1239
1300 CS/CL 1326
1342 CL/LR 1441
1457 LR/CL 1604
1612 CL/LN 1709
1715 LN/CL 1821

102 fan

We're at the belfast end
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Its the end.:cry:

GM078

Pity to finally see them go, but I suppose that's progress. One might well raise the question as to whether or not NIR truly got their money out of them after spending money on their refurbishment? True they need SDL to continue but was sending them away for refurbishment really necessary? Of course this is the same company that brought you the "Gatwick DVT". Glad I'm not a NI taxpayer that's for sure!

4SRKT

Established Member
Its the end.:cry:

The end of (for me) a lifelong association with these trains. A very sad day. R.I.P. They will be sorely missed.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Glad I'm not a NI taxpayer that's for sure!

There's no such thing! These excesses like any other in peripheral parts of the UK were paid for by the good ol' South East of England taxpayers!

Railexcited

Does anyone know the times in which the class 80 will be heading back through Ballymena? Or maybe it has already.

4SRKT

Established Member
Thanks for uploading those so quickly. I couldn't be there today but I had a real lump in my throat looking through these shots remembering so very many wonderful times over the last 35 or so years. R.I.P.

MarkyMarkD

Also today 459 worked 1158 Coleraine-Derry/Londonderry and 1310 return because somebody in Belfast sent a 6 car CAF on the 1040 ex Central by mistake !!!!!!
By some amazing coincidence, I was on that journey!

As non-rail enthusiasts I have to confess that my family and I were not too impressed! Lovely scenery along that route but hard to see anything out of the windows from where we were sitting.

4SRKT

Established Member
Hard to believe that it really can actually all be over. My once deep association with Northern Ireland is now very tenuous indeed :(

Is 82101 on board?

Yes we were there!

Was a nice surprise to see the last 80 class appear in place of the 450 I was expecting.
Did the 12:12 to Carrick and back and then the last run to Larne Harbour.
Had to bail at central for the 17:00 boat home or we would have stayed for the last run in service.

Had a great day, so thanks very much for all the Gen and info guys.

So sad it's all over... :cry:

GM078

It seems that NIR are tendering for the disposal of 80 and 450 class vehicles again, tenders to be in by 27/10/11. Link

Status
Not open for further replies.