• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"Nice" and "Not so nice" units working in multiple

Status
Not open for further replies.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
4EPB (Class 415) - Commuter cattle truck
4CIG (Class 411) - express unit (4 across)
4VEP (Class 423) - in between!
Correction alert: 4CIGs were class 421, Class 411 were (older, but heavily refurbished) 4CEPs.

Main difference was the CIG and CEP units were 2+2 seating with doors at carriage ends and in the middle of each car only. VEPs had very similar cabs to CIGs but were 3+2 with a door to every bay of seats.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mikey C

Established Member
Correction alert: 4CIGs were class 421, Class 411 were (older, but heavily refurbished) 4CEPs.

Main difference was the CIG and CEP units were 2+2 seating with doors at carriage ends and in the middle of each car only. VEPs had very similar cabs to CIGs but were 3+2 with a door to every bay of seats.
Sorry, typo :D

From memory, the CIGs and VEPs had more modern bogies than the earlier CEPs and hence rode better. The refurbished CEPs did look quite nice inside as they had IC70 seats (or similar) though!

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Sorry, typo :D

From memory, the CIGs and VEPs had more modern bogies than the earlier CEPs and hence rode better. The refurbished CEPs did look quite nice inside as they had IC70 seats (or similar) though!
I always preferred CIGs to CEPs as they had the old-fashioned slidey windows rather than hoppers, and nice old springy seats!

southern442

Established Member
The Class 456 interiors seem to be in better shape than the Class 455 sets they're being used to extend on SWR. I'd pick the 456 because not only is it plusher, less people will pass through the unit looking for seats as it doesn't have a connection to the rest of the train. Wonder if any regular SWR commuters have picked up on this?
When I was younger and they used to run on Southern it was a similar story.
If there was a 455 and a 456 I would choose the 456. I was much shorter back in year 7 so seat pitch and legroom mattered less, and the 456s had softer seats. Plus at the extreme end either side on a 456 there was a pair of airline seats, which I liked. Faced with the same choice now I would probably go for the 455 if it was busy because of the slightly less appalling legroom.

Mikey C

Established Member
When I was younger and they used to run on Southern it was a similar story.
If there was a 455 and a 456 I would choose the 456. I was much shorter back in year 7 so seat pitch and legroom mattered less, and the 456s had softer seats. Plus at the extreme end either side on a 456 there was a pair of airline seats, which I liked. Faced with the same choice now I would probably go for the 455 if it was busy because of the slightly less appalling legroom.
The BR spec 455s had horrible low seating like the PEPs, the 319 style higher backed seating (which the 456s had) wasn't great but at least it made a bit more effort...

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Thanks. But didn't EPBs have those seats that run the full width of the train where you can lie down for a nap?

In Southern Railway days, saloon accommodation was only in the end cars, Pullman cars, and catering vehicles of the COR, PUL and PAN families. Everything else was in compartments, with a side corridor only if there was a lavatory in that car. Suburban units (3 SUB and 4SUB) were all compartment until 1946, after which most new units had one trailer with an open layout. From 1948 the motor coaches were also open. The SR design (but BR built) 4EPBs followed the same layout as the last 4SUBs, with one trailer car with full width compartments, whilst the BR design 53xx units had half of each trailer (and half of the driving trailer of the BR design 2EPBs - 57xx) in compartments. Most units were refurbished in the 1980s to an all-open layout. Following a murder in one of the remaining compartment vehicles, the units were reformed so that each unit had either two or none, those with two being restricted to use in the peak hours.

In postwar longer distance units (2HAP, 4VEP, 4CEP, 4CIG, and the two generations of Bournemouth line stock), the first class accommodation was in compartments with a side corridor whilst, with two minor exceptions, second class was all open saloon*. Indeed, other than the sleepers, the Class 442s were the only Mark 3 stock to be built with any compartments.

* Two exceptions: the SR-design 2 HAPs (56xx) and the 4TC Bournemouth trailer units both had four 2nd class compartments

Last edited:

MB162435

Established Member
The only GWR DMU formations possible now being:

158+143
158+150/2
143+150/2

Last time I seen people deciding where to sit base on traction was at Penzance on the way back from the Long Rock Depot Open Day, with 158961 and 150266 and the majority of the waiting crowd went for the 158 as did I, as it was my first trip on a 158 since 2007, the 158s seem to be in much better nick than the 150s, less rattly and more spacious

THC

Surprised the Renatus vs. unrefurbed 321s haven't yet been mentioned. When I used to commute to the City of London I'd always make a beeline for any Renatus units as the seats are more comfortable, although plenty of others clearly did the opposite. That's something I could certainly understand on hot days, as the aircon wasn't always working properly on the refurbed units.

THC

xotGD

Established Member
Can we extend the scope of this thread to include locomotives? Nice and not-nice double-headers. For example, I have had a 40 paired with a 47, and a 20 paired with a 47.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Can we extend the scope of this thread to include locomotives? Nice and not-nice double-headers. For example, I have had a 40 paired with a 47, and a 20 paired with a 47.
Both would be unusual, as class 47s were not fitted with "blue star" multiple operation.

py_megapixel

Established Member
When I'm in Northern land I will choose an unrefurbished Sprinter over a refurbished one (even though the unrefurb would be the "not so nice" unit in this case)

Why?
To avoid having to listen to "BEEEEEP...BEEEEEP...BEEEEEP...BEEEEEP...BEEEEEP...This is...... Man Ches Ter Picc A Dilly.... This train is the NORTHERN service to... Wigan North Western... The next stop is... Man Ches Ter Oxford Road... BEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEP" at each station.

The engines are loud enough as they are, we don't need painfully loud door alarms added to that. Oh, and make the PIS sound a bit less nastily distorted.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
I think the average joe would get in the nearest door regardless of unit type, or potentially the quietest carriage.

Status
Not open for further replies.