• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nice journey to school

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJ

Established Member
On Thursday I decided to get up early and get the train. I arrived at Forest Hill station at 06:50, where I got my ticket. When I stepped into a station, a double 455 rushed past on the up slow, followed by a single 319 on the up fast. A few seconds later, a double 319 passed on the down slow. I crossed the bridge and waited for the Guildford bound 06:59. I last did this a few months ago when the service was slammer operated. I was expecting an Electrostar, but better still, an ex-Brighton Express turned up!
As it arrived, the 07:00 double 455 service from Sutton pulled into the station. Anyway, I boarded the 319, which left at 06:58 on the dot :shock: . I got myself a jacuzzi style seat. I looked at my watch, it was 07:00, and we were already pulling into Sydenham :shock:. An 8 coach Electrostar whizzed past heading towards London Bridge. Once again, we left the station early. Just as we arrived at the deserted Penge West, the 06:57 London Bridge to Uckfield Turbostar passed us.

Between Penge West and Anerly, we were overtaken by a 319, and another double 319 was heading into London. Just as we arrived at Anerley, the 06:10 Paddock Wood-London Bridge 508 passed us. We were late into Norwood Junction, I think we were held up by a train which was supposed to leave there at 07:06.

When we finally arrived at Norwood Junction, the driver was in a hurry to leave. I hung around to see another 8 coach Electrostar heading into London (reminiscing the days when it was a 12 coach slammer). My usual train (the 07:07 from Forest Hill) arrived, formed of a 455+456 for Caterham and Tattenham Corner. Then the 07:16 triple 456 arrived, causing one HUGE spark when it left. Finally, the 455+456 07:20 and the 456+455+455 07:23 service came and went, not before yet another Electrostar passed heading north. Then I went to school!

Also, I saw an MPV pass there at 16:30, and I saw an MPV pass Lewisham today at 15:25.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Southern

joea1 said:
On Thursday I decided to get up early and get the train. I arrived at Forest Hill station at 06:50, where I got my ticket. When I stepped into a station, a double 455 rushed past on the up slow, followed by a single 319 on the up fast. A few seconds later, a double 319 passed on the down slow. I crossed the bridge and waited for the Guildford bound 06:59. I last did this a few months ago when the service was slammer operated. I was expecting an Electrostar, but better still, an ex-Brighton Express turned up!
As it arrived, the 07:00 double 455 service from Sutton pulled into the station. Anyway, I boarded the 319, which left at 06:58 on the dot :shock: . I got myself a jacuzzi style seat. I looked at my watch, it was 07:00, and we were already pulling into Sydenham :shock:. An 8 coach Electrostar whizzed past heading towards London Bridge. Once again, we left the station early. Just as we arrived at the deserted Penge West, the 06:57 London Bridge to Uckfield Turbostar passed us.

Between Penge West and Anerly, we were overtaken by a 319, and another double 319 was heading into London. Just as we arrived at Anerley, the 06:10 Paddock Wood-London Bridge 508 passed us. We were late into Norwood Junction, I think we were held up by a train which was supposed to leave there at 07:06.

When we finally arrived at Norwood Junction, the driver was in a hurry to leave. I hung around to see another 8 coach Electrostar heading into London (reminiscing the days when it was a 12 coach slammer). My usual train (the 07:07 from Forest Hill) arrived, formed of a 455+456 for Caterham and Tattenham Corner. Then the 07:16 triple 456 arrived, causing one HUGE spark when it left. Finally, the 455+456 07:20 and the 456+455+455 07:23 service came and went, not before yet another Electrostar passed heading north. Then I went to school!

Also, I saw an MPV pass there at 16:30, and I saw an MPV pass Lewisham today at 15:25.

Sounds like quite an intresting journey had there :) . I never knew their was a 456+455+455 combination than ran in passenger service.

Julian G

Established Member
ooooooooo, a 319 <D
the WLL always have them ex-Brighton express ones during vices <D
have you seen this recently? :P

Julian G

Established Member
Seth said:
1288gaje said:
ooooooooo, a 319 <D

Why the sudden love of 319s? :?

They're no different to most 2nd Generation EMUs & DMUs...
but at least they went through the Channel Tunnel before the Eurostars did
The class' chief claims to fame come from glamorous workings away from their normal territory - indeed from working outside of the UK. On 10 December 1993 units 319 008/09 operated a special train from Dollands Moor (Cheriton) to Coquelles (Calais) during the hand over of the Channel Tunnel from its contractors to its operators. Subsequently a 319 unit transported HM The Queen through the Channel Tunnel during the official opening ceremony.

Met Driver

Established Member
1288gaje said:
but at least they went through the Channel Tunnel before the Eurostars did

Ah yes, that makes them far superior to any other class of EMU ever built. :roll:

Southern

1288gaje said:
ooooooooo, a 319 <D
the WLL always have them ex-Brighton express ones during vices <D
have you seen this recently? :P

That passed through new cross gate on saturday night, about 21:15. It was coupled to an ordinary TL 319.

Julian G

Established Member
joea1 said:
Seth said:
1288gaje said:
ooooooooo, a 319 <D

Why the sudden love of 319s? :?

They're no different to most 2nd Generation EMUs & DMUs...

No, but they're better than all the equivalents - Table seats! Well, at least some of them are. Today the service was operated by an ordinary South Central 319.
319/2 do have them table seats
but 319/0 don't :(

Met Driver

Established Member
joea1 said:
No, but they're better than all the equivalents - Table seats! Well, at least some of them are. Today the service was operated by an ordinary South Central 319.

But most routes they cover offer relatively short journey times (London-Brighton for example), and at the same time are often vastly over-crowded. If anything a lack of tables would allow for more standing room, so there's good and bad points as far as tables are concerned.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
:( Oh how I would love to travel to college on a good train or bus service

Never mind, only 2 years to go! :roll:

RJ

Established Member
Decided to take the 07:07 from FOH today. It had some serious wheelslip problems leaving Sydenham, it sounded funny! I saw 319001 (White with blue doors) and 456024 on that triple 456 formation. While we're on the topic of 319s, what is happening with 319 001 and 319 010 (Blue with yellow doors)? I'm guessing that 319 005 (now in Southern livery) was the yellow one with the blue doors.

Also, I saw a southbound GE 460 pass Norwood Junction just before 7:20 today :shock:.

But most routes they cover offer relatively short journey times (London-Brighton for example), and at the same time are often vastly over-crowded. If anything a lack of tables would allow for more standing room, so there's good and bad points as far as tables are concerned.

I think that they are only pre scheduled for use on Horsham, Guildford, Smitham and the Sutton loop services and they're usually doubled up, so it's not that bad!

Julian G

Established Member
joea1 said:
Decided to take the 07:07 from FOH today. It had some serious wheelslip problems leaving Sydenham, it sounded funny! I saw 319001 (White with blue doors) and 456024 on that triple 456 formation. While we're on the topic of 319s, what is happening with 319 001 and 319 010 (Blue with yellow doors)? I'm guessing that 319 005 was that yellow one with the blue doors.

Also, I saw a southbound GE 460 pass Norwood Junction just before 7:20 today :shock:.
cl319 005 is in Southern livery
that is cl319010 which is the Blue one with Yellow doors?
cl319001 is still in service with a White livery with blue doors

It's probably the leaves at Sydenham

That cl460 must have been diverted due to problems between London Victoria to East Croydon

Julian G

Established Member
joea1 said:
I think that they are only pre scheduled for use on Horsham, Guildford, Smitham and the Sutton loop services and they're usually doubled up, so it's not that bad!
i've seen a cl319 on the fast lines once

Southern

The Surrey Hill's 319 is a regular at London Bridge. It's booked on the 15:52 Victoria - London Bridge Via Crystal Palace service, previously worked by a Slammer(I think it was a VEP).

Status
Not open for further replies.