• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nice quiet journey on GA ETC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I Had to travel yesterday from Liverpool Street on the Enfield line on GA, (using their rather basic 4 car units-<Which are very like the suburban trains we had on SWT < 3 x 3 seat with low seat backs, before they were painted red and renovated>) Anyway it was wonderful on GA not to have all the on train loudspeaker announcements that we have on SWT. No one missed their stop, had safety issues etc. So if GA can do it, SWT please take note!

On a seperate note, when steam was phased out on the surburban lines from Liverpool St and Fenchurch St, did it go straight to electric traction or was there a period when Diesesl were used. (I know that until only a few years ago Norwich & Kings Lynn trains were diesel loco hauled.)

Finally, where and what were the "Jazz" trains that went from Liverpool Street. Were they local steam services.

Tks & Rgds.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ah, announcements on S.W.T. You're talking my language! F.G.W. suburban services are no better either.
Suburbans at Liverstreet Pool went straight from steam to electrics. They were originally at the L.N.E.R.'s preferred 1,500 volt but changed to the standard 25.000 volt exept for Liverstreet Pool itself which was at 6,250 due to reduced clearances but it was later realised that the clearance was sufficient so the voltage was upped to match (as a side note it was the same at the newly electrumfied Euston - the early locos of clases 81-85 had dual voltage).
The Jazz trains were the suburbans. They had colour coded painted doors to indicate the class and these brightly coloured doors gave them a jazzy look - hence the title. As far as I'm aware the steam hauled suburban trains in and out of the Street were the most intensly operated steam trains in the world and certainly when I was there in the early seventies the electrics in and out of the east side were at an intensity that to-day's service doesn't come close to.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Ah, announcements on S.W.T. You're talking my language! F.G.W. suburban services are no better either.
Suburbans at Liverstreet Pool went straight from steam to electrics. They were originally at the L.N.E.R.'s preferred 1,500 volt but changed to the standard 25.000 volt exept for Liverstreet Pool itself which was at 6,250 due to reduced clearances but it was later realised that the clearance was sufficient so the voltage was upped to match (as a side note it was the same at the newly electrumfied Euston - the early locos of clases 81-85 had dual voltage).
The Jazz trains were the suburbans. They had colour coded painted doors to indicate the class and these brightly coloured doors gave them a jazzy look - hence the title. As far as I'm aware the steam hauled suburban trains in and out of the Street were the most intensly operated steam trains in the world and certainly when I was there in the early seventies the electrics in and out of the east side were at an intensity that to-day's service doesn't come close to.

Thanks for this interesting info. Re Jazz trains etc. (I just tend to turn my headphones up when on SWT to drown out the announcments, I think many people do.)

Status
Not open for further replies.