• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nice Towns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Makenzie

Llandudno is definitely one of my favourite towns in North Wales! Plenty of stuff to offer and brilliant beaches too; it puts Rhyl to shame, not that Rhyl's any good to begin with :lol: Bangor is definitely up there, especially considering I used to go to school there during my later secondary school years! It has city status (oldest city in Wales) even though it's a similar-ish size to other major towns on the North Wales coast, but it actually makes sense (unlike the other 'city' in North Wales, St Asaph) considering it packs pretty much all the elements you'd expect from a city into the size of a modest town - an established university (my dad used to work there) which puts Wrexham's Glyndwr to shame, the busiest train station in North Wales (only C1 category station within North Wales too), major hospital, pretty much every chain supermarket available within the city, two retail parks, two shopping centres (granted they are small but do the job), longest high-street in Wales, plenty of tourist attractions like Garth Pier and the Menai Suspension Bridge, nice public spaces throughout the city centre, overall it does a lot for somewhere with under 20k residents and it's surprisingly cosmopolitan especially for somewhere in Gwynedd, which is otherwise the most Welsh part of Wales! It certainly stands out as a regional hub, which is what a city should do. St Asaph needs to up its game ;)
I've never been to Bangor, I've always focused on Llandudno, i did go to Rhyl as a child but it does nothing for me now! :rolleyes:
I do plan to go to Talacre in a few weeks time, my friend has just moved there and i want to visit her and see the beach.
I remember going to campsites too as a child but can't remember where they were, i did love it though.

sprunt

Rawtenstall is lovely too, especially now with its new bus station!

Ooh, where's the new bus station? I lived in Rawtenstall from the ages of 5-16, but I've not been back for ages.

Am I the only one who actually likes Bolton town centre? Victoria Square is lovely to walk around in and Le Mans Crescent just behind the town hall adds to the charm, especially the architecture and all that.

It seems to me that it has the potential to be good - lots of great architecture as you say - but the last time I visited, it seemed very run down. Do they still have the old steam engine (not as in locomotive, sorry to get anyone excited :D) in a glass case?

Altrincham

My home town (my profile name) has always been nice, which seems to have been the reason for a massive influx of people wanting to move here in the last 5-10 years or so. (Schools also play a big part in its attraction too for those who move to the area).

So my home town is at the top of my list of nice towns:

Altrincham
Knutsford
Lytham
Beaumaris
North Berwick
Yarmouth (IoW)
Freshwater (IoW) (quite possibly a large village rather than a town)

C J Snarzell

Established Member
Ormskirk springs to mind if I pick a town out of the hat.

It has still got a traditional smaller market town appeal to it - there are no empty business premises, there is a nice selection of independent retailers, the town centre itself appears to be well maintained and tidy. It isn't plagued with vagrants begging in shop doorways or other general lowlife walking around with bottles of Frosty Jack in their hands!!! The town centre is easy to travel around, car parks are plenty & next to nothing in charges. There is a nice selection of pubs, coffee shops and restaurants to take your fancy and there still seems to be a close knit atmosphere in the town where generations of people still know one another. Another great aspect of the town is that it hasn't been ruined by over redevelopment and is still surrounded mainly by the scenic plains of West Lancashire. The town however has become a very desirable place to live because of it's strong commuter links to Liverpool & the M58, so generally house prices in Ormskirk are not cheap. In my own opinion it has taken on something of a cosmopolitan feel to it in a way. I believe a couple of Premiership footballers live here along with the odd face from Hollyoaks so clearly the place is a haven for the celebrity circles.

CJ

Howardh

Established Member
My home town (my profile name) has always been nice, which seems to have been the reason for a massive influx of people wanting to move here in the last 5-10 years or so. (Schools also play a big part in its attraction too for those who move to the area).

Altrincham
Knutsford
Lytham
Beaumaris
North Berwick
Yarmouth (IoW)
Is that Belgian beer pub still around?

Howardh

Established Member
I love Longridge, and for rail fans used to be linked to Preston and the trains went downhill without power! Nice pubs and on the edge of a beautiful area, Bowland fells. Also a regular bus back to Preston, the No1. Which sadly replaced the trains :(.

gazthomas

Established Member
I've never been to Bangor, I've always focused on Llandudno, i did go to Rhyl as a child but it does nothing for me now! :rolleyes:
I do plan to go to Talacre in a few weeks time, my friend has just moved there and i want to visit her and see the beach.
I remember going to campsites too as a child but can't remember where they were, i did love it though.
Talacre. Crikey. Interesting choice of somewhere to live.

Apart from Conwy and Llandudno most of North Wales is a shadow of its former, pre-Spanish holiday-self. I'm from just outside Conwy and it has down a great job in the last 10-15 years to become a great place to be day or night.

Altrincham

Is that Belgian beer pub still around?

Yes, the Belgian Bar is still there. I’ve been in a handful of times, and it seems to always have people in when I pass. I think it’s been a little overshadowed in the last few years because the Market Hall opposite has become a trendy food-hall venue

Makenzie

Talacre. Crikey. Interesting choice of somewhere to live.

Apart from Conwy and Llandudno most of North Wales is a shadow of its former, pre-Spanish holiday-self. I'm from just outside Conwy and it has down a great job in the last 10-15 years to become a great place to be day or night.
Isn't Talacre very nice then? I've seen some of it in pics but not sure what it would be like to visit. Wales just isn't what it used to be.

gazthomas

Established Member
Isn't Talacre very nice then? I've seen some of it in pics but not sure what it would be like to visit. Wales just isn't what it used to be.
Just a bit of a non place. Small village near the muddy part of the Dee estuary. Not awful, probably nice and peaceful but not much else.

Many parts of North Wales have suffered from the decline in seaside holidays in the UK, Rhyl and Colwyn Bay principally, but some places have responded well such as Prestatyn and parts of Anglesey. Llandudo is in decline in my view which is a big shame given everything it has to offer. While Conwy is a great little town now with great local food and drink to be enjoyed in lovely surroundings.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Is Llandudno in decline? I thought it was more that it had changed from being for "a week's bucket and spade, walking down the pier and fruit machines" (as we went there for as a kid) towards an adult weekend break destination. The changing eating and drinking scene certainly seems to reflect that.

gazthomas

Established Member
Is Llandudno in decline? I thought it was more that it had changed from being for "a week's bucket and spade, walking down the pier and fruit machines" (as we went there for as a kid) towards an adult weekend break destination. The changing eating and drinking scene certainly seems to reflect that.
If the number of.empty shopping units in would say yes but I accept many town centres have the same issue. I wish the estate owners, Mostyn Estates need to do more to make empty shops more presentable or fill them up. The former M&S extension is a disgrace. They could create a fake shop facade or display some local artwork on it. I agree that the demographic is changing, particularly when it comes to more diverse dining and drinking options which I fully appreciate it, but I was surprised to see the Cambridge, an old stalwart is now a Thai restaurant

Makenzie

Just a bit of a non place. Small village near the muddy part of the Dee estuary. Not awful, probably nice and peaceful but not much else.

Many parts of North Wales have suffered from the decline in seaside holidays in the UK, Rhyl and Colwyn Bay principally, but some places have responded well such as Prestatyn and parts of Anglesey. Llandudo is in decline in my view which is a big shame given everything it has to offer. While Conwy is a great little town now with great local food and drink to be enjoyed in lovely surroundings.
I'm having second thoughts now about visiting Talacre! :rolleyes:
Maybe I'll stick with Llandudno instead, i usually stay at The Grand, right by the pier, fantastic views from the bedroom balcony, i went a lot with my husband but he died last year so going back will bring back happy memories. 8-)

gg1

Established Member
One more to add to the list is Lyme Regis, one of the few traditional British seaside towns which is still a pleasant place to visit in the 21st century.

cactustwirly

Established Member
One more to add to the list is Lyme Regis, one of the few traditional British seaside towns which is still a pleasant place to visit in the 21st century.

The smaller seaside towns are quite nice, such as Tenby, Rye, Poole etc.
It's the bigger resorts that are bad, such as Blackpool, Skegness, Ramsgate etc

gazthomas

Established Member
I'm having second thoughts now about visiting Talacre! :rolleyes:
Maybe I'll stick with Llandudno instead, i usually stay at The Grand, right by the pier, fantastic views from the bedroom balcony, i went a lot with my husband but he died last year so going back will bring back happy memories. 8-)
I'm sorry to hear about your loss and I hope you do have a great time enjoying the present while fondly remembering happy times past.

Makenzie

I'm sorry to hear about your loss and I hope you do have a great time enjoying the present while fondly remembering happy times past.
Ah thank you, that's sweet. My husband was a tram driver, i get free travel on them so whenever I'm in Blackpool i ride the golden mile and take in all the scenery, sometimes go as far as Fleetwood too.

Makenzie

I've never been to Lyme Regis, my sister went last year and she loved it.

Makenzie

The smaller seaside towns are quite nice, such as Tenby, Rye, Poole etc.
It's the bigger resorts that are bad, such as Blackpool, Skegness, Ramsgate etc
Blackpool has really gone downhill now. The stag and hen parties ruin it for families. I once saw a massive brawl outside one of the pubs in the afternoon, and the town centre is a no go area of an evening.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
The surburbs of Blackpool are great. If you speak to anyone who lives outside the town centre, they will tell you they love it but they never venture near ''the front''. They will openly admit they hate the actual town for what it's become.

Given what has happened in Manchester & Rochdale recently with the child grooming stuff, I'm very surprised Blackpool has not flagged up on that same radar. The seedy B&Bs that are frequented by life's undesirables and the fact many teenage runaways have ended up there (and one or two have disappeared!) it's quite clearly a place for vulnerable people to stay clear of.

CJ

d9009alycidon

My recent experiences of Blackpool have been reasonably pleasant, that said I know where I like to go and know where to avoid. I stay at one of the larger hotels just north of Gynn Square, it is a quiet part of the town and the hotel has entertainment every night so I don't need to venture out into the centre. The day rover tickets on the trams make it cheaper to shuttle back and forth to the tower, pleasure beach and town centre. The things that hack me off are the many and varied "offers" for attractions that the ticket office staff don't seem to understand, they are worse than train tickets. Last time I went to the tower there was a mass shouting match because the staff refused to recognise a newspaper discount voucher that several in the queue wanted to use.

Re Llandudno, I havn't been there since July 1984, I found it a quiet place, mainly enhabited by the over 65s. Highlight of the week was the 5.4 magnitude Llŷn Peninsula earthquake that woke us up on the Thursday morning, fairly shook the hotel we were staying in, and I got to ask the wife the cliche "did the earth move for you darling!"

Makenzie

Altrincham
Knutsford
Lytham
Beaumaris
North Berwick
Yarmouth (IoW)
I've sailed past IoW on my way to Spain but I've never actually stepped foot on the island. I lived in St Annes too for a short time but i wasn't keen on it.

Makenzie

My recent experiences of Blackpool have been reasonably pleasant, that said I know where I like to go and know where to avoid. I stay at one of the larger hotels just north of Gynn Square, it is a quiet part of the town and the hotel has entertainment every night so I don't need to venture out into the centre. The day rover tickets on the trams make it cheaper to shuttle back and forth to the tower, pleasure beach and town centre. The things that hack me off are the many and varied "offers" for attractions that the ticket office staff don't seem to understand, they are worse than train tickets. Last time I went to the tower there was a mass shouting match because the staff refused to recognise a newspaper discount voucher that several in the queue wanted to use.

Re Llandudno, I havn't been there since July 1984, I found it a quiet place, mainly enhabited by the over 65s. Highlight of the week was the 5.4 magnitude Llŷn Peninsula earthquake that woke us up on the Thursday morning, fairly shook the hotel we were staying in, and I got to ask the wife the cliche "did the earth move for you darling!"
Haha! :E What was your wifes reply? :E

I don't really mind being amongst pensioners in Llandudno, i like a quiet life anyway so that's probably why.

I've stayed in a b+b in Gynn Square, it was run by an Irish lady, that must be about 10yrs ago, i remember on the corner of the street there was a block of flats which looked very unsafe as it looked lob sided!

C J Snarzell

Established Member
The North Wales coast in general is nice. Colwyn Bay is not as bad as people think & Llandudno has had a few ups & downs.

From my own experience of that neck of the woods, the place to avoid is Rhyl. I can honestly saw the whole place felt like the people that time forgot the last time I went - it was the Sealife Centre about 2004. One of my Welsh mates says the are two dangerous factions in Rhyl - thieving drug addicts & pissed up travellers.

CJ

Status
Not open for further replies.