• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nick Names for lines in the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim

Established Member
Nick Names for lines in the UK:

What do you call your local rail lines, "The Misery Line?" "Wessie Line"???

Tell me

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
There's an almost complete list here:-

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/named_lines.htm

Some are historical/well used, some are not.

E.g. the "York Line" is only called that by Metro, I've never heard anyone call it that and people in York would probably be unaware it's even called that.

Also CityFlier/CityMetro refers to the service, not the lines. There is no "CityFlier" line; the City Fliers use the MML and London-Brighton main line.

joy54.gen

Far North Line- Inverness- Wick
West Highland Line- Glasgow- Malliag (via Fort William)

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I call my local line the WCML :D although its the line via birmingham

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
matt said:
That's not the WCML, which goes via the Trent Valley. ;) You'll join the WCML at Stafford (northbound) or Trent Valley Jn, Rugby (southbound).

Techniquest

Veteran Member
As yorkie has pointed out a flaw with what I was about to post (man he's got some brilliant mind-reading power!), I will first now explain how I came to use the name 'City Flyer', the line named so being most of the FGW network, mainly the Swansea/Cardiff Central to Paddington line:

At Royal Oak a while ago, on diversions that Sunday a HST left for Swansea at 1200 (M-F the Inverness HST also runs at this time, we'll get to that in a minute). It stormed out of Paddington as if there was no tomorrow. As it ran extremely quickly, I started calling it 'The 1200 City Flyer'. As the Inverness HST also runs at this time, this is the train the term, when used by me, refers to usually. It will also be used for the 0530 Swansea to Paddington, the reason for this being that it skips Swindon and DP as stops, running non-stop from BP to Reading!

Please note: This will no doubt cause confusion with the TL services with CityFlyer on them. Hence, I will always describe TL services not as CityFlyers, ALWAYS CityCrawlers. This may confuse you more, but when I am talking about, say, services from Bedford to Brighton, I will say something like 'The 1208 CityCrawler off Bedford was rather late by the time it reached West Hampstead'.

Also, you will come across heart-of-wessex and I using the term 'The Misery Line'. This refers to the Newport to Crewe section of the Marches route from Cardiff to Manchester. We named it so because we've both done it so much (I more so) it became really boring.

Another phrase either of us will use occasionally is The Timeless Line. This came about from having to do Hereford to Oxford, on the way to Paddington, on a 165. It took so very long I was falling asleep before Oxford. Time seemed to not exist on this line, that or it never moved, we felt a little (I did at least) as if we'd be on it forever.

I'm sure heart-of-wessex may have more to add.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
yorkie said:
matt said:
That's not the WCML, which goes via the Trent Valley. ;) You'll join the WCML at Stafford (northbound) or Trent Valley Jn, Rugby (southbound).

I still consider it to part of the WCML

Techniquest

Veteran Member
yorkie said:
matt said:

He uses the WCBL, ie the West Coast Branch Line! ;) :D

Sprinter

GOBLIN- Gospel Oak Barking LINe (heart of Wessex calls it the "NLL diesel"). I also use the name NLL Barking Line sometimes too.

The Misery Line- I give that to CTs BNS-WFS-Hereford route, too many short turns at Ledbury, even at the slightest delay. The timetable at Hereford (should a train ever reach Hereford.....) is timed so that the CT service comes in a few minutes after the ATW service leaves for Cardiff!
Also the lack of passing loops between Hereford and G Malvern means that if a train is late, the other train is held. I could go on...

Dave A

I use "Fun Rail Network", even though using it is far from fun :roll:

One Rail Network, for the dimwits out there! :D

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Very true regarding BNS to Worcester to Hereford.

I was witness to a curtailment at Ledbury not long ago, how angry was I? Very.

jonb

Established Member
I call mine the GEML (Great Eastern Mainline) Even though it is'nt!

joeholmes

Mine is called the Marlow Donkey!

Many people call it this due to its a) speed and b) Marlow Station is next to a pub called the marlow donkey!!!

Regards
Joe

P.S Marlow to Maidenhead route!!

Jim

Established Member
I call

Line What I call it

Waterloo - Weymouth Wessie Line
Waterloo - Portsmouth Dessie Line
North London Line I don't want to live line
Melksham Line Trainless Line
H-O-We Ped Line

David

Established Member
Scunthorpe - Doncaster = The Misery Line.

(If you have seen the condition of the line & stations, you will understand! :) )

Galvanize

Lewisham-Hayes "Mid Kent line"

It runs through South East london, places like Leafy ladywell, Industrial estates of Lower Sydenham, the suburbs of beckenham, Tramlink at Elmers End etc.

AlexS

Established Member
Technically Matt, the Stafford to Rugby via Brum line is the Stour Valley :)

Personally, I consider just as important as the mainline, it breaks less often, and has more trains at some points!

Jim

Established Member
YOU DON'T GET IT. What you call them not what they are actually called

Harold

I thought of a name for London to Portsmouth harbour via GUILDFORD line

the "lon polly" line

HBA135

T

Tom

Harold, via where? Better not be via Eastleigh. ;)

London - Weymouth is generally unknown as the SWML. And I call it that, hah!

Harold

tubechallenger said:
Harold, via where? Better not be via Eastleigh. ;)

London - Weymouth is generally unknown as the SWML. And I call it that, hah!

right, lets think about this TC, if it was london to pompey via eastleigh, i would have said, but it is infact london to portsmouth (via GUILDFORD)

does that help?

HBA135

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
generally I refer to mine as the GWML but sometimes "the line I've travelled to many times" or "the line to cardiff" depending on my mood I suppose

Status
Not open for further replies.