• We're pleased to advise that our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk, which helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase, has had some recent improvements, including PlusBus support. Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nicola Sturgeon mask regulation breach

Status
Not open for further replies.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
(sorry it's the Sun :oops:)

NICOLA Sturgeon breaks her own Covid law by chatting to pensioners in a pub without wearing a face mask.

The First Minister apologised over the embarrassing blunder at a funeral wake.

Ms Sturgeon — who repeated rules on covering up during a parly speech today — said of her gaffe in Edinburgh: “This was a stupid mistake and I’m really sorry.”

The First Minister admitted she was "kicking herself" and said she was “in the wrong” and had no excuses after breaching her own Covid rules.

It came after The Scottish Sun obtained a photo of the Nats leader standing and chatting to three elderly women following a funeral last week in Mortonhall, Edinburgh.

Under a law passed by SNP ministers, customers in hospitality settings must cover up unless seated at a table.

After we flagged up the snap to the Scottish Government, Ms Sturgeon said: “Last Friday, while attending a funeral wake, I had my mask off briefly. This was a stupid mistake and I’m really sorry.

“I talk every day about the importance of masks, so I’m not going to offer any excuses. I was in the wrong, I’m kicking myself and I’m sorry.”

The photograph showing Ms Sturgeon leaning on the back of a chair with her left hand was taken at the Stable Bar and Restaurant.

The First Minister was at the venue following a funeral of a senior Scottish Government civil servant at nearby Mortonhall Crematorium. She is pictured without a mask while looking towards the table of pensioners.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bussnapperwm

Established Member
She should be forced to immediately resign, potentially spreading a plague by failing to follow her own laws.

devon_metro

Established Member

Lucky she wasn't speaking to an at risk age group, oh... Maybe she needs an easy to remember tag line. They could try "hands, face, space".

Scotrail12

Wow - I didn't actually expect her to break the rules.

Just sums it up - these rules mean nothing.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I wonder how she will like a taste of her own authoritarianism?

She wasn't even near anyone; she acted within WHO guidance (face coverings are only recommended where social distancing is not possible) but but she broke nonsensical rules that she is responsible for.

She did nothing materially wrong on the day; the thing that she has done wrong is impose crazy rules. The only logical course is to admit the rules are ludicrous and rescind them.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
If it was Bozza or Hancock or any other opposition member who did it, she'd be calling for them to resign. Blimey she even asked her own MP (Margaret Ferrier) to stand down when she blatantly broke the rules. I can't wait to see Devi Sridhar's calls for Nicola Sturgeon to stand down, just as she called for Cummings to!

So...

matacaster

On Moderation
Quite frankly I consider that all high profile people including elite sports types, politicians, royalty, TV, newspaper, doctors and other leaders in media etc should be given immediate mandatory 7 days in prison. They are setting the bad example and other people think if its OK for them it's OK for us. They always seem to have a very weak excuse and include Stephen kinnocks, Dominic Cummings, Nicola sturgeon, royalty, celebrities etc. That would indicate that the situation Is serious. Until that happens many will just pay lip service.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation

*try not to laugh, try not to laugh, try not to laugh*

1608678758581.png

Oh dear, oh no Nicola, how could this happen? I thought these covid rules were for safety. Aren't you supposed to be setting an example to the Scottish people? :lol::lol::lol:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I have no issue with what she did at all; my issue is that the rules are nonsensical and overly authoritarian.

The rules are very easily broken by anyone, including people who make them, advocate them and demand them.

As she was socially distanced she had no material need to wear a mask; the only apparent need is because people like her dictate there is a need, and then fail to do as they dictate.

I don't think she should be blamed for breaking the rules as such; she should be blamed for imposing bonkers rules that even she can't follow. That is the issue here.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
I have no issue with what she did at all; my issue is that the rules are nonsensical and overly authoritarian.

The rules are very easily broken by anyone, including people who make them, advocate them and demand them.

As she was socially distanced she had no material need to wear a mask; the only apparent need is because people like her dictate there is a need, and then fail to do as they dictate.

I don't think she should be blamed for breaking the rules as such; she should be blamed for imposing bonkers rules that even she can't follow. That is the issue here.
She broke the law. Simple as that.

I have to wear a face covering if I am 2 meters, 4 meters or 8 meters away from someone on the bus. If I didn't, I would be breaking the law and liable to a fine.
Yes cue John Swinney with some more bad news lies
Fixed that for you.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
If nothing else, this event shows how human we all are. I've been making a fair effort to support my local pub, and while I'm supposed to wear face coverings when leaving my seat to either go outside for a smoke, or take a leak, I often forget. And it's no big deal, either.

Was this a bit of an own-goal? Yes. Is it the end of the world? No.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
If nothing else, this event shows how human we all are. I've been making a fair effort to support my local pub, and while I'm supposed to wear face coverings when leaving my seat to either go outside for a smoke, or take a leak, I often forget. And it's no big deal, either.

Was this a bit of an own-goal? Yes. Is it the end of the world? No.
Agree, it's easy to forget. I went to get on a bus a few months back and didn't realise i didn't have my mask on until i was just about to get on. Luckily there was other people there, so i stood back and let the person behind go on while i put on my mask.

bengley

Established Member
She broke the law. Simple as that.

I have to wear a face covering if I am 2 meters, 4 meters or 8 meters away from someone on the bus. If I didn't, I would be breaking the law and liable to a fine.

Fixed that for you.
If you read what Yorkie said you'd know he already stated that he doesn't disagree with what she did, but merely the fact she imposed the law in the first place, then broke her own law.

Bantamzen

Established Member
In a daft kind of way this has slightly improved my opinion of her, it shows there is some human in there. However given how sanctimonious she has been stuff her, let the media wolves do their worst!

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
In a daft kind of way this has slightly improved my opinion of her, it shows there is some human in there. However given how sanctimonious she has been stuff her, let the media wolves do their worst!

Its a consequence of her own actions - if you make aspects of "being human" effectively illegal then what do you expect?

nedchester

Established Member
An over reaction to a simple human mistake.

She’s apologised that should be the end of it.

Bantamzen

Established Member
An over reaction to a simple human mistake.

She’s apologised that should be the end of it.
I disagree, she broke her own rules. As I said earlier had she not been the way she was about restrictions like masks, most of us would have brushed it off. But the way she has been she literally deserves to be berated for it, perhaps even asked to step down.

duncanp

Established Member
One would hope that Police Scotland take a similar view when questioning ordinary mortals who are not wearing a mask when they are supposed to (eg. on a train or in a shop)

I can imagine there may be some conversations along the lines of "..Well officer, if it's OK for Nicola Sturgeon not to wear a mask, and she doesn't get fined, surely you can let me off just this once.."

When Dominic Cummings broke the lockdown rules, the police stated that they got a lot of push back from the public along the lines of "..well why should I obey the rules if Dominic Cummings doesn't, and he gets away with it.."

Not wearing a mask for a few minutes in a pub isn't in itself a serious offence. But the First Minister should set a good example if she expects others the follow the rules that she enacts.

nedchester

Established Member
I disagree, she broke her own rules. As I said earlier had she not been the way she was about restrictions like masks, most of us would have brushed it off. But the way she has been she literally deserves to be berated for it, perhaps even asked to step down.
I am glad you're a perfect human being. The rest of us have to live with being fallible........

bramling

Veteran Member
I am glad you're a perfect human being. The rest of us have to live with being fallible........

This is the problem when one preaches on to others. I don’t give a toss about Sturgeon forgetting to put her mask on, however as someone firmly in the pro-restriction camp she needs to realise that if she is going to impose things on others then she needs to follow her own lead.

She obviously does realise this, hence the unequivocal apology, and at least she’s taken ownership of her error, which is more than we’ve seen from Stanley Johnson!

Last edited:

Journeyman

Established Member
I can't say I massively care about what she's done, but for many years the SNP have presented themselves as whiter than white and vastly morally superior to their corrupt unionist opponents, despite plenty of scandals and corruption coming to light. If you pretend to be so perfect, you shouldn't be surprised if people get very angry if you then fail to live up to it.

Bantamzen

Established Member
This is the problem when one preaches on to others. I don’t give a toss about Sturgeon forgetting to put her mask on, however as someone firmly in the pro-restriction camp she needs to realise that if she is going to impose things on others then she needs to follow her own lead.
Exactly.

She obviously does realise this, hence the unequivocal apology, and at least she’s taken ownership of her error, which is more than we’ve seen from Stanley Johnson!
I mean fair play to her to a degree, but one way or another she has a price politically to pay at least.

nedchester

Established Member

I think that's the point. She's taken it on the chin (possible pun there!) and that's that.

I sometimes wonder whether we get the politicians we deserve.

I'd like to say that I'm no fan of Sturgeon but her messaging over the last few months has been clear and she has taken ownership of any decisions (even if I don't agree with them). Unlike the clown south of the border.

Status
Not open for further replies.