• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Night Jobs....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I've always considered a job in the rail industry. I've been raised around the rails. I think conductor would suit me best.

I'm more interested in working night shifts, or early morning/late night. I'm pretty sure these are the shifts nobody else wants to do, so I see myself as a desirable candidate for any job. Except, the only night jobs you can do as conductor is sleepers really (which would be awesome).

What other jobs in the industry could I do on nights?

Cheers,
Me.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EM2

Established Member
I can't think of much where you'd *only* do nights, although FCC have some nights-only Customer Assistants...otherwise it'd be Security, I guess.

Aictos

Established Member
You could be a driver. You'd certainly be my best friend if you came to my depot and took all my nights off me.

O L Leigh

:lol:

I already do that at work where I do more nights then I'm suppose to do, if I could then I would do even more!

If I was a driver and based at your depot then I would easily take you up on your offer if you did my earlies or lates.

driver9000

Established Member
Shunter/depot driver at a TMD/yard/carriage sidings. I know our shunting staff work purely nights shunting, marshalling, fuelling and washing trains for the next day. There is a minimal skeleton staff of a shunter and fitters during the day to take care of a couple of mid-day arrivals for toilet tank emptying and fuelling plus any failures that might limp onto the yard other than that the place is deserted during the daytime.

With any shift working job on the railway there is always the possibility to swap duties with a mate whos work you can catch but there is the risk that they wont be able to swap one week and you would have to work your own linked turn.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
I do nights for two weeks in every 12 weeks on the platforms. At Bristol Parkway they have one bloke on constant nights so I'm told.

devon_metro

Established Member
Hi,

I've always considered a job in the rail industry. I've been raised around the rails. I think conductor would suit me best.

I'm more interested in working night shifts, or early morning/late night. I'm pretty sure these are the shifts nobody else wants to do, so I see myself as a desirable candidate for any job. Except, the only night jobs you can do as conductor is sleepers really (which would be awesome).

What other jobs in the industry could I do on nights?

Cheers,
Me.

The sleeper "Train Manager" roles at Exeter also include daytime runnings.

There is a Conductor at Exeter (West) that works mainly evenings, but management apparently want him to change this ;)

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
I work at Newport. Nights are classed usually as 2200-0600 with me, really depends on the company/job though I imagine. You might be expected to do 12hours 1800-0600 for example

Metroland

Established Member
Shunters, cleaners, some station staff, some drivers, controllers, signallers. Most of the main lines are open round the clock, in fact some, like the WCML, ECML, MML and parts of the GWML are pretty busy with freight, as are the cross country routes. Lot of Pway and S&T roles have night shifts too.

Tom B

Established Member
Am I right in thinking that some of the statutory requirements for night workers are relaxed for transport staff?

Status
Not open for further replies.