• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Night lights in the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

McMetro

Recently saw a GWR Class 158(957) pass Up at Pilning with its lights in the night configuration at what was midday on a very bright day! Is there any reason for this?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class 170101

Established Member
(Is there such a setting?)
Driver probably forgot or perhaps its Night Lights or no headlights and train failed.

Right Away

Recently saw a GWR Class 158(957) pass Up at Pilning with its lights in the night configuration at what was midday on a very bright day! Is there any reason for this?
Possibly the day headlight wasn't working properly or the 'mimic' headlight indicator on the driving desk wasn't working properly on the day headlight setting. As long as there is a working headlight (such as the night headlight) available it is not a major issue, just an entry in the repair book for repair the next time the unit goes on depot.

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
(Is there such a setting?)
Driver probably forgot or perhaps its Night Lights or no headlights and train failed.
Yes, there is such a setting. A Day Headlight is far brighter than a Night Headlight, and wouldn't be suitable for use at night

LowLevel

Established Member
Yes, there is such a setting. A Day Headlight is far brighter than a Night Headlight, and wouldn't be suitable for use at night

They're the same brightness on a 158. The night head light is on the driver's side and the day one is on the other side. Using the night headlight reduces glare for other drivers on passing trains and better picks up retroreflective lineside signage which is usually on the left.

If one fails you can use the other without restriction though.

Domh245

Established Member
Also worth noting that on modern (700s onwards) units with the new style of lighting with both headlights illuminated all times, night time lights are dimmer than day (to try and avoid dazzling)

ComUtoR

Established Member
Also worth noting that on modern (700s onwards) units with the new style of lighting with both headlights illuminated all times, night time lights are dimmer than day (to try and avoid dazzling)

The 700 lights are referred to as Full and Dipped beam. In all honesty most of the Drivers I know believe the 'Full beam' is the equivilant of the old 'night' setting. The units I drive had the nights as brighter but because they switched sides they didn't dazzle as much. On the 700s you generally just run around on dipped all the time. I did use Full beam but only at the darkest points on the routes.

In my experience it hasn't really been the night settings that are the main issue. I've found that the units with the cyclops eye are the ones that dazzle more. I think its a lot to do with the higher spec bulbs. The older units I've driven... I still have nightmares driving 319s in the dark !

LowLevel

Established Member
The 700 lights are referred to as Full and Dipped beam. In all honesty most of the Drivers I know believe the 'Full beam' is the equivilant of the old 'night' setting. The units I drive had the nights as brighter but because they switched sides they didn't dazzle as much. On the 700s you generally just run around on dipped all the time. I did use Full beam but only at the darkest points on the routes.

In my experience it hasn't really been the night settings that are the main issue. I've found that the units with the cyclops eye are the ones that dazzle more. I think its a lot to do with the higher spec bulbs. The older units I've driven... I still have nightmares driving 319s in the dark !

It has been quite entertaining as the guard seeing my front end colleagues' reaction to having to drive class 170s in the darkness with the awful candles fitted to them, after a career of driving 15x with upgraded headlights :lol:

Established Member
It has been quite entertaining as the guard seeing my front end colleagues' reaction to having to drive class 170s in the darkness with the awful candles fitted to them, after a career of driving 15x with upgraded headlights :lol:

Just remind them the headlights are there in order to be seen, not to see by. If they’re relying on seeing where they’re going their route knowledge isn’t up to snuff :).

507 001

Established Member

Doesn’t work. 802s are horrendous. I’m sure I received laser eye surgery from one coming down Miles Platting a few weeks ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.