• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Night Riveria ticket validity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Temple Meads

Established Member
Hi, I'm after some information regarding ticket validity on the FGW Night Riviera:

What tickets are valid on the up (to London) Night Riveria when it's operating this journey (on a Sunday night/Monday morning:http://www.opentraintimes.com/schedule/C26654/2012/5/13

Basically, could you use the return portion of a standard class Exeter to Plymouth OP return that you bought earlier in the day?

Are Devon Rangers/Evening Rangers and or Ride Cornwall Rangers valid on it?

If someone could clarify this situation I would be very grateful, as it's always confused me :)

Cheers,

Tim

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CC 72100

Established Member
I'd also me very interested to know on this one.. If no-one knows on here perhaps ask FGW on their Facebook page, Jo provides good customer service in my experience

According to NR enquiries, FGW - reservations are compulsory, otherwise travel cannot be guaranteed.
I used this train from PNZ to SAU/ PLY regularly many years ago on a CDR - no reservations needed - unless you needed a berth. A long slow train back then! Always took ages slowing to a stop at Camborne. (Stop signal and level crossing at end of platform!)

wintonian

Established Member
All normal tickets are valid inc. rangers and rovers (as far as I am aware) as long as you are travelling within the tickets validity.

So for example a ranger or day single/ return would not be valid past 04:30 the next day but would be valid past 04:30 if the ticket has the same date on it i.e. it was bought after 00:00.

CC 72100

Established Member
According to NR enquiries, FGW - reservations are compulsory, otherwise travel cannot be guaranteed.
I used this train from PNZ to SAU/ PLY regularly many years ago on a CDR - no reservations needed - unless you needed a berth. A long slow train back then! Always took ages slowing to a stop at Camborne. (Stop signal and level crossing at end of platform!)

Yes, I believed it was valid, it was the "travel cannot be guaranteed" bit that throws a spanner in the works. Surely if it was busy, so you agreed to stand in the vestibule they wouldn't just leave you there at Plymouth at midnight?

34D

Established Member
Yes, I believed it was valid, it was the "travel cannot be guaranteed" bit that throws a spanner in the works. Surely if it was busy, so you agreed to stand in the vestibule they wouldn't just leave you there at Plymouth at midnight?

I'm not sure how rigidly the reservations bit is enforced, as the seated coach is used as a local train quite extensively in the SW (including your proposed journey back to Exeter).

I turned up on spec at the end of a long day, and the TM said hed have been happy to sell me a berth if he had a vacant one. Was quite happy to have me in the seated coach.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Contrary to ScotRail sleepers, I do not believe that the Night Riviera requires compulsory reservations in the seated portion.

Sleepy

Established Member
As stated by others seated part used like normal day train EXD/PLY to PNZ and return but FGW trying to avoid 30+ people rolling up at Paddington on a Friday night in August without seat reservations getting upset when no spare seats for them !

Last edited:

NSE

Established Member
I know my mate often gets wasted of a night in Plymouth and has often ended up on a sleeper back to Liskeard on the return portion of a return from Liskeard to Plymouth. Weather or not pity is taken due to the fact he can hardly stand up is not clear, but he and his mates have often ended up on it.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Hi, I'm after some information regarding ticket validity on the FGW Night Riviera:

What tickets are valid on the up (to London) Night Riveria when it's operating this journey (on a Sunday night/Monday morning:http://www.opentraintimes.com/schedule/C26654/2012/5/13
Any ticket that is following a permitted route, within the period of validity of the ticket, and at times permitted by the ticket.
Basically, could you use the return portion of a standard class Exeter to Plymouth OP return that you bought earlier in the day?
You need to look at the restrictions that apply to the ticket held to determine what times it is valid.

It is unclear what ticket type is meant by an "OP Return", but it doesn't matter in this case, as both a Plymouth - Exeter Off Peak Return (SVR) and a Plymouth - Exeter Off Peak Day Return (CDR) would be valid, regardless of whether they were the 'OUT' or 'RTN' portions, in this case.

The answer for another origin / destination combination may well be different, and you can find the restriction code that applies to any ticket by looking it up on either National Rail Enquiries or brfares.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.