• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Night Riviera Sleeper Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Hi All,

I am due to travel on the Down Night Riviera on the 14th August From PAD-EXD (Arr 03:03 on the 15th.) But the ticket i have booked (A Child Advance) is for the accomodation. Is it possible to upgrade to a berth on the train or just stick it out in seated accomodation?

Also What should I expect on board also?

Many Thanks
Ollie

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Lounge Car? :shock: Seated Accommodation surely? I can't help with regard to ticketing, but Berths give you a bed, Volo TV and sink I think, as well as toiletries, but don't quote me on those last two.

Established Member
Lounge Car? :shock: Seated Accommodation surely?

Thats The one:oops: Post Duely ammended
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Lounge Car? I can't help with regard to ticketing, but Berths give you a bed, Volo TV and sink I think, as well as toiletries, but don't quote me on those last two.

Many Thanks But will I be able to buy a berth (If availible) as I am 15?

34D

Established Member
Many Thanks But will I be able to buy a berth (If availible) as I am 15?

If you do get a berth, you can actually stay in it til Plymouth, then get a HST back in the morning:

Easement 20004: "Passengers for Exeter, Newton Abbot and Totnes are permitted to alight from the sleeper at Plymouth and double back to their destination in the morning."

Wish I'd known that, when I did Pad to Exeter a couple of years ago. 3 hours on exeter station, including trying to sleep in a class 150, not good :(

Do be prepared that you won't sleep at all (berth or seated), also note that the seated coach has NOT got plug sockets. On the plus side, you'll get a ride in one of three mk 3B BFO.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Berths give you a bed, Volo TV and sink I think, as well as toiletries, but don't quote me on those last two.

Those facilities were all available 10 months ago when I travelled on the Night Riviera (although Volo is only fitted to solo births- which is the only option if you're travelling alone). Plus breakfast, delivered to your cabin!

Those facilities were all available 10 months ago when I travelled on the Night Riviera (although Volo is only fitted to solo births- which is the only option if you're travelling alone). Plus breakfast, delivered to your cabin!

The only think that gets me about the otherwise excellent Night Riviera service is the lack of charging points in the berths. Unless you have a Shaver to 3pin adaptor (I haven't seen one for years!) it's not possible to charge phones or laptops in your cabin.

Like I said a small gripe that's no reflection on the first class service I have recieved every time I've travelled on it.

simonm

For two pin adaptors simply use a continental adaptor - fits in fine. I have even used a block adaptor so two people can charge their 'phones. It dies work - but very slowly!

rail-britain

Established Member
Is it possible to upgrade to a berth on the train or just stick it out in seated accomodation?
Yes
I would recommend you book this as soon as possible
You can book either a Solo (£50) or Twin / Share (£35)

Ironically an advance inclusive may be cheaper, by refunding your existing ticket

Sleepy

Established Member
Yes
I would recommend you book this as soon as possible
You can book either a Solo (£50) or Twin / Share (£35)

Ironically an advance inclusive may be cheaper, by refunding your existing ticket

Esp. as op can buy child rate Advance Sleeper package !

Established Member
So Am I correct in Thinking that I CAN get a Berth and but it will cost £50?? Or Am I totallt wrong ?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Yes, a sleeper supplement costs £50.

Established Member
Ok Thanks I will stick to the Seated accomodation.

What is the Atmosphere like and will I get any hassle if I stay onto Plymouth then get a train back up?

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
You should have no trouble at all if it's an Easement, and I suspect one that's well used too. As for the atmosphere, I know the Caledonian ones are, but aren't the lights kept on overnight now? If so then you'd best be able to sleep with an eyemask on!

Established Member
You should have no trouble at all if it's an Easement, and I suspect one that's well used too. As for the atmosphere, I know the Caledonian ones are, but aren't the lights kept on overnight now? If so then you'd best be able to sleep with an eyemask on!

Ok Many Thanks :)

34D

Established Member
but aren't the lights kept on overnight now? If so then you'd best be able to sleep with an eyemask on!

Yes. And its horrible.

When I've done seated, 50% of the passengers were in sleep mode, and to the other 50% it was like a normal day train with conversation etc.

So back in the day, were the seated coach lights switched off?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Yes - I did several trips on the Caledonian with the seated totally blacked out but from the mid 1990s onwards they left the lights on. I have always booked a berth since then.

rogACE

i thought that FGW seated advance tickets on the Nt Riv were not upgradebale to buy berths?

am i wrong there?

and also re the Easement 20004 to back track from PLYM to EXT does that apply to the seated pax as well as berthed?

ta

Last edited:

CC 72100

Established Member
Ok Thanks I will stick to the Seated accomodation.

What is the Atmosphere like and will I get any hassle if I stay onto Plymouth then get a train back up?

I can only speak for having done Penzance - Exeter on it, but all I would say is I'm glad I wasn't using it as a 'sleeper' service. Even though I was in the 'dark' coach, 3 teenage girls boarded at St Erth, clearly tipsy who did not understand the concept of 'people on this train want to sleep'. (Or they were secretly LHCS fans :lol: )

The TM moved them to the lighter coach, Coach B which had only a couple of resevations in it (they try and keep everyone reserved in the darker coach A) but I wasn't going to get to sleep. Maybe it was the claggy 57 on the front, maybe it was the fact that I was only going as far as Exeter, but I think I needed to be quite tired to get any sleep on it.

On the positive note, the seats were very comfortable, and I'd look at it as a night-time normal service in the seated bit, and go in with the expectation that I might not get much sleep.

Would I do it again? Absolutely. Would I go seated sleeper if I wanted sleep and wasn't just doing it 'cos it was a 57 on the front? Porbably not.

Hope this helps :)

Status
Not open for further replies.