• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Night Riviera

Status
Not open for further replies.

4SRKT

Established Member
I'm planning a trip from York to Penzance just for the laugh, and will travel on the Night Riviera one way from Paddington to the Zance, returning on a normal FGW tram.

If I buy an open return from York to Penzance this has a number of advantages (I think).

1) I'll be able to travel on GC between York and the Cross, hopefully enabling Valenta action into the bargain.

2) I'll be able to meander back from Paddington across the whole day as I please, including breaking at Newton Abbot to pick up the 67 as far as Taunton.

3) If my mate in Hungerford is in, I'll be able to break the journey on the way back and stay with him.

Question is, is it possible to buy a sort of sleeper supplement off FGW, rather than having to book their service separately? I'd just go on the cushions, but my mate who is also interested is not so keen on 8 hours of this sort of thing. He'll do it right enough if the price is right (i.e the sleeper is too dear).

Any advice gratefully received.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John @ home

Established Member
is it possible to buy a sort of sleeper supplement off FGW, rather than having to book their service separately?
Yes. £30 supplement for a bed in a 2-bed cabin, £45 for a single occupancy cabin. See here.

You can buy a sleeper supplement with all Standard class walk-on tickets, but not with Advance ones.

4SRKT

Established Member
Yes. £30 supplement for a bed in a 2-bed cabin, £45 for a single occupancy cabin. See here.

You can buy a sleeper supplement with all Standard class walk-on tickets, but not with Advance ones.

Excellent! Since I'm not sure when I'll be doing this (it's all about the GC gen), I take it I will just be able to turn up at York and buy an anytime return to the Zance and a one way sleeper ticket at the same time?

John @ home

Established Member
I take it I will just be able to turn up at York and buy an anytime return to the Zance and a one way sleeper ticket at the same time?
I don't think you want to do that unless you get PRIV discounts. In Standard Class, an Anytime Return York - Penzance route + London costs £428, or £282.50 with a Railcard.

If Advance fares are not a practicable possibility due to uncertainties about GC's traction, then try to work round the restrictions of the Super Off-Peak Return which costs £168.80 or £111.40 with a Railcard. These are:
Restriction : 1L : OFF PEAK JOURNEYS TO/VIA LONDON

Super Off-Peak tickets issued for journeys commencing OUTSIDE the Network Area for travel via London, take the restrictions from the origin station to London and return. Unless shown otherwise on the following pages, they are unrestricted between London and the destination station and return.

Available as listed below MONDAYS-FRIDAYS (By any train on Bank Holidays and other days).

Outward Travel SOUTHBOUND - by any train scheduled to ARRIVE at or after: LONDON TERMINALS 1117

Return Travel - by any train scheduled to DEPART: LONDON TERMINALS Between 0929 and 1457 inclusive & at or after 1859. Also allowed at or after 1815 on Fridays only.
Since no restrictions are mentioned, this ticket is valid on any train London - Penzance - London.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Excellent! Since I'm not sure when I'll be doing this (it's all about the GC gen), I take it I will just be able to turn up at York and buy an anytime return to the Zance and a one way sleeper ticket at the same time?

Also, we are in the busy summer period now - even with the Sleeper capacity recently boosted by 33% ( from three Sleeper cars to four; it seemed pretty busy when I did it three weeks ago ) you might find the berths have sold out if you are going at short notice; might I therefore suggest that you plan the return, rather than the outward, on the basis of the GC gen so that you can book the Sleeper further ahead?

4SRKT

Established Member
I've decided to knock this on the head, not only because the GC gen is so unreliable, but also because I've got a very limited window of opportunity whilst my wife is stayong in Ireland with the kids for 10 days. Any other time of year I wouldn't simply be able to take off to Penzance at the drop of a hat :(

Thx for yr help anyway folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.