• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Night riviera

Status
Not open for further replies.

evil_hippo

One thing I have just noticed is that the night riviera is quite unlike the caledonian sleeper in that it has just as many seated carriages as sleeper carriages, as opposed to the caledonian sleeper which has far more sleeper carriages. Is this indeed the case, and if so, why?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I guess it's because the Night Riviera is a far shorter journey, and so people are more willing to sleep in seated accomodation. I guess its also because there are more direct services in the day. There are no daytime London-Fort William services.

It may be a stock issue mind you, but I really wouldn't know about that.

gingerheid

Established Member
Is there as much competition from overnight buses to the SW? Most people willing to sit for the journey from Edinburgh / Glasgow to London get one of the choice of buses - presumeably because it's cheaper and better advertised, possibly also because it's easier to book (or used to be anyway).

LucaZone

Isnt the journey time significantly less?

Passenger numbers are significantly lower for overnight travel to the South west, thus requiring less stock.

Ive also noticed lately that the Motorail Vans arent in the consist anymore. I know their being overhauled, but will they return to the Riviera, or move to another service?

Met Driver

Established Member
LucaZone said:
Ive also noticed lately that the Motorail Vans arent in the consist anymore. I know their being overhauled, but will they return to the Riviera, or move to another service?

AFAIK motorail only operates during the summer timetable.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I've still to see them in use!

For anyone interested, the MK2 sleeper carriages in use with FGW at this time are to be replaced with overhauled MK3s, work being done on these vehicles at LA. Can't remember which ones, it's posted elsewhere on t'internet.

Jim

Established Member
86242 said:
I think it is also because 1C99 and 1A40 are just normal trains west of Taunton eg the first train of the morning and the last train of the night...

Correct, all normal HST stops there on...

Status
Not open for further replies.