• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Night time ear plugs for snoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Hello all,

Does anyone here use ear plugs to block out snoring? If so which do you use that works?

Lots of dirt cheap £1 ones on Ebay from China, I suspect they are as good as a chocolate teapot.

I see some companies like Bose do sleep noise cancelling earphones, and play 10 ambient noises to help sleep. Being battery operated what if you didn't want the ambient noise, would it still block out snoring?

I read that foam isn't recommended at all as it unhygienic, and some silicone ones don't work as well as others. That was a piece in the Telegraph though.

Can anyone recommend any types?

James.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
I haven't tried earplugs, a pillow has always worked for me. Simply place it over the offender's face and push down until the snoring stops.
I read that foam isn't recommended at all as it unhygienic, and some silicone ones don't work as well as others.
I definitely recommend silicone ones rather than foam since you can wash them. I wouldn't feel comfortable using foam ones for more than a couple of nights in a row.

317 forever

Established Member
I sometimes use Boots Mufflex Wax earplugs. I am better at sleeping through some sound than going to sleep with such noise in the background.

EssexGonzo

So, the recommendations for this problem can (allegedly) be made in stages........ My better half, for some reason, seems to be an expert on this matter.

Stage 1 - foam ear plugs. Closely followed by a move to the spare room.

Stage 2 - Custom moulded ear plugs made from silicone. Used by motor cyclists. Reduces the violence to 2 or 3 times per night.

Stage 3 - a CPAP machine. Takes some getting used to but worth the perseverance. Apparently. And I get a far better sleep when using it. And it's a really sexy look. Spices things up no end.

Although a bit of a storm in a teacup to be honest. :rolleyes:

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Thank you guys!

Pillow isn't an option, giving a few kicks to the offender is supposed to work, but it doesn't seem to work!

I've ordered some silicone moulds and see how I get on with those

trebor79

Established Member
Try Isolates. They are metal (aluminium or titanium depending upon how much you want to pay) with (replaceable) rubber tips. It sounds like a weird concept but I find them very comfortable and they do work. I can confirm that the work extremely well indeed and that they completely block out all sound. Note that you still will be able to hear noise through your skull, so a Tempur type foam pillow may also be needed depending upon just how loud the snorer is.

snail

Established Member
MAX 1 Howard Leight Ear Plugs (37dB). £3 for 40 on eBay (£30 for 400 at Screwfix). Hard wearing polyurethane so last a while.

If things get really noisy I have been known to use noise cancelling headphones!

Bedpan

Established Member
I've been using Boots Mufflers since 1986 and not sure that I'd find it easy to get to seep without them now. I do still get woken up by snoring though. I'm not sure how much sound is leaking into my ears and how much is coming through my skull. Also when the snoring is at a certain frequency it feels as though it is making the mattress vibrate although I'm not sure if this really does happen. Then, there are occasions that I get woken up and realise that it is me who is doing the snoring!

Status
Not open for further replies.