• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nikon D5300

Status
Not open for further replies.

HOOVER29

When I had my old battered Fuji HS50EXR & taking Railway photos I just stuck it in sports mode in any weather & light, snapped away & hey presto got a quality photo.
Got rid of the camera & upgraded to the Nikon D5300. Stuck it on sports mode take a photo & hey presto loads of noise!!
Unless the light is bang on the camera seems to produce noise.
Took a photo at Doncaster yesterday of 90029. Light wasn’t brilliant but thought the camera would sort it. Wrong!
It turned out grainy.
Could someone point me in the right direction as to what I’m doing wrong.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cactustwirly

Established Member
When I had my old battered Fuji HS50EXR & taking Railway photos I just stuck it in sports mode in any weather & light, snapped away & hey presto got a quality photo.
Got rid of the camera & upgraded to the Nikon D5300. Stuck it on sports mode take a photo & hey presto loads of noise!!
Unless the light is bang on the camera seems to produce noise.
Took a photo at Doncaster yesterday of 90029. Light wasn’t brilliant but thought the camera would sort it. Wrong!
It turned out grainy.
Could someone point me in the right direction as to what I’m doing wrong.

Sounds like the Camera has jacked up the ISO, next time switch it to manual mode, and set the ISO to about 400, open the aperture to the widest it can go, and dial down the shutter speed to about 1/25s.
Probably needs a bit of trial and error, and a bit of practice!

HOOVER29

Yeah I’ve only had the camera since the first week in December.
As you said trial & error.
Had my nose in the manual this afternoon trying to learn something but there’s no substitute for getting out & trying things out.

bieomax

You could try some control tests if you wanted, by trying to recreate a shot youve taken before. So have a look at the exif of one of your previous images and replicate the shutter speed/aperture and iso. Also the equivalent focal length.

Your also working with a larger canvas now moving from the 16mpx to 24mpx. So you may see more iso on the larger sensor if your comparing size for size, but you can try and resize the 24mpx down to 16mpx so they are the equivalent mpx to get a different comparison.

Levels of sharpness could vary drastically as some bridge cameras can get really good lenses as they are explicitly tailored to the sensor they are being fitted to. And standard kit lenses on dslrs are the cheap mass produced kind, so you may also suffer from a loss of image quality through that (apologies if you've already branched out from the kit lens).

krus_aragon

Established Member
Do you have an (unedited) image you could upload for us? The EXIF data embedded in the photo would tell us what settings the camera was using at the time.

HOOVER29

Also noticed that shots from the Fuji HS50 appear much more colourful than with the Nikon.
Will try & upload a sample photo later

bieomax

Are you shooting in Jpeg or raw?

As Jpeg will be producing colours as set by the profile in the camera.
You should be able to adjust that with the either moving from Auto white balance (awb) and setting yourself.

You can also set the Picture control (nikon name for style in other camera systems) this is where you can either run with a predefined setup on jpeg colour setup or a custom, where you can set contrast/shapening and saturation, or even drop to just b&w.

Here's a reasonable guide for nikons.
https://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/technique/expert_advice/get-best-nikon-jpegs-yet-102944

Status
Not open for further replies.