• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

NIMBY Rails released today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been waiting for this to go public for a while now - it's due to Early Release on Steam in around an hour.

Basically - the developer has removed ALL rail infrastructure (tracks, stations, etc.) from the entire world - meaning you can develop your own networks - real or imaginary.

NIMBY Rails is a management sandbox for railways you build in the real world. Design train tracks, set up lines, and get that stock rolling to make money and serve the needs of the population. Do you have strong opinions on rail projects and want to test your own ideas? This game was made for you.

• The world is your canvas. Design and play on a fully detailed real world map with 1cm resolution. A rail link from Lisbon to Shanghai? Anchorage to Buenos Aires? Cape Town to Rabat? Why not!
  • Your tracks will need to respect real, existing roads and streets. Too many crossings may make your designs not viable.
  • Streamlined circulation mechanics so you don't get bogged down by the details. Build and run a large network easily.
  • Trams, subways, commuter, regional and high speed trains. Tunnels, viaducts and ground tracks with a variety trade offs on the environment, train speed, and your company wallet.
  • Simulated train and station demand, down to simulating individual passengers. Passengers can, and will, engage in train trips that make them board multiple trains, waiting in transfer stations.
  • Demand flow based on time of day and time of week, with time zone support. Find it boring when night time comes and the stations are deserted? No problem, start a new line ten time zones away.
  • Passengers will continuously rate their experience based on the trip time and the fares you impose on them, with effects on the demand of the stations they visit.
  • Single player and offline first.
  • Optional cooperative multiplayer: build together in real time with friends and others you invite to your hosted server session.
A little video someone has put together on it:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I've just got this - it's rather simple and abstract (not much choice of vehicles and no signals to speak of), but personally I quite like that because I can focus more on designing a network rather than spending ages perfecting the signals for every junction.

I also really like the way passengers feed through from local trams to regional trains and then high speed services - that side of things is very well done. And the world map feature is absolutely glorious - the first thing I did was recreate some of my local routes as well as rebuilding the Ashington line!

TheEdge

Established Member
I'm finding it totally overwhelming really. Although I might just do some un-Beeching.

Crossover

Established Member
Was mentioned on a call a few of us were on this evening. I’ve taken the plunge and bought it with the launch discount. Not had a chance to give it a go yet but it looks interesting!

TheEdge

Established Member
nimbyrail.jpg
So I've just turned money off and am playing with the un-Beeching of Norfolk and Suffolk. Harder than expected where trunk roads have been built along old trackbeds. Easy to see where they should go...

First major project will be the construction of a Worcestershire Network going to places like Bromyard, Tenbury Wells, Stourport etc.

It's surprisingly immersive for a "game" where the only graphics are a map, lines and blobs.

I've racked up about 15 hours in the last week, all spent in the Glasgow area. I've been building an S-Bahn style network that reaches as far as Helensburgh, Balloch, Airdrie, East Kilbride, Paisley and Cumbernauld.

I'm struggling to work out what I'm going to do with the Cathcart Circle since I don't have Glasgow Central High Level as a terminating station - I've built a north-south tunnel under the city centre that goes from the Gorbals through St Enoch and Queen Street, and up towards Cowlairs. From there the line splits to Anniesland via Maryhill and Lenzie via Springburn.

Never thought I'd see a Paisley Canal to Motherwell service via Govanhill, Polmadie and Whifflet.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
It's surprisingly immersive for a "game" where the only graphics are a map, lines and blobs.

I've racked up about 15 hours in the last week, all spent in the Glasgow area. I've been building an S-Bahn style network that reaches as far as Helensburgh, Balloch, Airdrie, East Kilbride, Paisley and Cumbernauld.

I'm struggling to work out what I'm going to do with the Cathcart Circle since I don't have Glasgow Central High Level as a terminating station - I've built a north-south tunnel under the city centre that goes from the Gorbals through St Enoch and Queen Street, and up towards Cowlairs. From there the line splits to Anniesland via Maryhill and Lenzie via Springburn.

Never thought I'd see a Paisley Canal to Motherwell service via Govanhill, Polmadie and Whifflet.

Great minds think alike with a metro style network lmao.

I've did a metro running from St Enochs - Glasgow Airport via The Quays, Paisley Road West, Bellahouston, Penilee, Renfrew.

Though Partick is proving a challenge due to there being about 600 people waiting, with about 100 all wanting to go to Anniesland.

I've had a few goes at a full Glasgow network.

I always get to a point where I've got everything on the north of the river sorted and everything around Motherwell connected. Then I discover I've got the Cathcart Circle, Newton, Neilston, the Ayrshire line as far as Johnstone, Paisley Canal, Braehead, Glasgow Airport, and Paisley Road West still to go, and nowhere to connect them to.

Having St Enoch as a terminating station for southwest-bound services isn't a bad idea. I might look into that.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
I've had a few goes at a full Glasgow network.

I always get to a point where I've got everything on the north of the river sorted and everything around Motherwell connected. Then I discover I've got the Cathcart Circle, Newton, Neilston, the Ayrshire line as far as Johnstone, Paisley Canal, Braehead, Glasgow Airport, and Paisley Road West still to go, and nowhere to connect them to.

Having St Enoch as a terminating station for southwest-bound services isn't a bad idea. I might look into that.

Good interchange for the Glasgow subway, if the network gets bigger I might merge Central and St Enoch into a mega station. A handy thing about recreating real lines is that on the map you can see where the line runs because of the sheer lack of roads.

D365

Veteran Member
I'm finding it totally overwhelming really. Although I might just do some un-Beeching.
This was my first thought when I discovered the game. Is there a way to import any real world railways, or do we have to work from scratch?

Darandio

Established Member
This was my first thought when I discovered the game. Is there a way to import any real world railways, or do we have to work from scratch?

That's the whole point isn't it? Design what you want on a blank canvas.

D365

Veteran Member
That's the whole point isn't it? Design what you want on a blank canvas.
True, but at the same time, it would be nice to be able to make incremental improvements to real world railways.

Last edited:

TheEdge

Established Member
I think a massive issue with the game as I've been playing it is the lack of any acknowledgement of topography.

Railways are the mode of transport whose construction is most impacted by topography so to have a game about building railways that disregards that is missing something big.

The more I play this game the more I realise the issue. It's just (bare with me) too simple.

Yes, it has an enourmous map area to play with but that map is blank, it's a giant flat sheet with nothing more than roads marked on which are not a huge issue. There is no acknowledgement of topography or forests or swamps or any other serious impingement on construction.

The infrastructure simulation is too simple. Enjoy your double track and plain through platforms. Sure, I can double them up but the lack of anything other than double track with wired snapping mechanics makes connecting those up a pain in the balls. The radius of passenger collection is tiny where any settlement bigger than a small town needs multiple stations to practically serve. Curved stations to fit the natural shape of roads and towns the game is so proud of, nope. Terminal stations, nope. Single, quad tracks and odd number platforms, no. Level crossings or oblique bridges? Depots are a bottomless train void.

The schedule page is a nightmare but that's a whole other issue.

In short it's been made up to look like a complex simulation of railway construction around the world, an enourmous sandbox it may be but when it's only two grains of sand deep it's not as good as it first appears.

Last edited:

frediculous

While the above points are true, it is still in early access and a number of those points are on the developer's intended feature list

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I must admit having had a look myself, watched some videos and read the comments on this thread I won't be buying it just yet as it seems to me to be far to deep in early access. It is a fascinating idea and a compelling one at that. But until it's more fleshed out I think there's just not enough there for me!

TheEdge

Established Member
While the above points are true, it is still in early access and a number of those points are on the developer's intended feature list

The biggest issue is topography, which the developer has already said will not be implemented.

Think the contributors to the "chiltern-timetable what if it wasnt about brum london" ought to download Nimby Rails to work out their timetable's.

Every passenger line (with some extra bits) south of Dundee in Scotland. Including Glasgow Subway and Edinburgh Tram. Eventually will get Scotland all done, then I'll attack through England and Wales...

Attachments

• 1613329225268.png
    1613329225268.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 42

Every passenger line (with some extra bits) south of Dundee in Scotland. Including Glasgow Subway and Edinburgh Tram. Eventually will get Scotland all done, then I'll attack through England and Wales...
Do you find the distances match up to reality. Some of mine are coming up to Benger routes than expected.

Aictos

Established Member
Looks quite good, I've got a few lines I like to try out.

How easy is it to use though?

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Do you find the distances match up to reality. Some of mine are coming up to Benger routes than expected.
That could be down to the map projection - I believe the one used stretches areas towards the poles. North-South distances should be longer than reality, particularly as you head further north in Britain.

I've taken a different approach. Fictional S-Bahn style routes around Glasgow, going as far as Ayr, Gourock, Helensburgh, Stirling, Grangemouth, Airdrie and Lanark. It's been fun.

On an unrelated note, it's weird to see Strathclyder and Citizens Network posting in the same thread.

GatwickDepress

Established Member
This has become my new 'doodle game' for dull meetings and 'phone calls. Enjoy this completely ludicrous Isle of Wight metro system that would make even the wildest crayonista wince!

Attachments

• 20210219165446_1.jpg
    20210219165446_1.jpg
    545.4 KB · Views: 53

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
This has become my new 'doodle game' for dull meetings and 'phone calls. Enjoy this completely ludicrous Isle of Wight metro system that would make even the wildest crayonista wince!
That really is a thing of beauty - the only thing you're missing is a fixed link!

Status
Not open for further replies.