• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nine Passengers Injured as Diamond Bus Double-Decker hits Bridge in Rochdale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fgwrich

Established Member
Thankfully none of the injuries are life threatening, and hopefully everyone will make a safe recovery. However that Streetdeck hasn't lasted long - I presume it was one of those originally bound for First Leeds?

Rochdale bus crash: Nine hurt as double-decker hits bridge

Bus that has crashed in Rochdale

Image copyright@CARLEHASLAMImage caption

Nine passengers on a double-decker bus were hurt when the vehicle crashed into a bridge.
The crash happened in Station Road, Rochdale, at about 14:10 BST, according to Greater Manchester Police.
North West Ambulance Service said five people have been taken to hospital, one with "a significant leg injury". None of the injuries are life-threatening.
Richard Street and Station Street have been temporarily closed as emergency services investigate.

Skip Twitter post by @NWAmbulance
https://twitter.com/NWAmbulance/status/1255514972009922560

#IncidentUpdate

We were called at 14:11 today to an incident on Station Road in Rochdale with reports of a bus colliding with a bridge. 9 people were assessed on scene and 5 patients were taken to hospital, one of which has a significant leg injury.
https://twitter.com/intent/like?tweet_id=1255514972009922560
https://twitter.com/intent/like?tweet_id=1255514972009922560
Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue's station manager Carl Haslam said crews had worked alongside the ambulance service at the scene, adding: "This could have been a lot worse."
Seventeen people were injured in Rochdale in 2015 when a double-decker bus smashed into a bridge in nearby Milkstone Road.
Bus that has crashed in Rochdale

Image copyright@CARLEHASLAMImage captionThe crash has led to Richard Street and Station Street being temporarily closed

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ralph Ayres

Not wishing to make light of it but it was very bad luck that as many as 9 people were on one bus at the moment, possibly all on the top deck at the downstairs looks pretty much undamaged and the bus seems to have slowed fairly gradually given how far under the bridge it is.

Andyh82

Established Member
I’m guessing it was on the 471 and should have taken the right to go past the front of the railway station, just before the bridge.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Thankfully none of the injuries are life threatening, and hopefully will make a safe recovery. However that Streetdeck hasn't lasted long. Looks to have been one of those originally bound for First Leeds?

Just saw it on BBC.

First of all, thankfully the most important thing is that people aren't seriously injured.

Secondly, it's not the time for anyone to be either placing blame or using it as a stick to beat the operator with.

Observer

Wrightbus will repair the damage anyway, will still be under warranty and Diamond seems to be the only major operator keeping them going with orders nowadays!

Last edited:

PeterC

Established Member
I’m guessing it was on the 471 and should have taken the right to go past the front of the railway station, just before the bridge.
The report says it was a 471. Off route by accident or following a diversion?

darloscott

Wrightbus will repair the damage anyway, will still be under warranty and Diamond seems to be the only major operator keeping them going with orders nowadays!
You don’t get repairs under warranty for damage you inflict yourself!
Also, Diamond aren’t the only company with orders at Wright’s, Go Ahead and First are still receiving a number of vehicles.

Statto

Established Member

darloscott

Only just off route, the 471 is supposed to turn right just before that rail bridge, & there's a sign with the height of the bridge on the bridge, driver certainly had some explaining to do, here's the location.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.6...4!1sZN4uogbFybB2bIdzzYTYYQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
Well that looks pretty poor signage to me, one tiny sign before the bridge and only chevrons on the 'wrong' side of the road? I saw it on the picture but assumed it the nearside had been knocked down by the bus but it's not there on the Streetview visit either.
Either way a professional driver (yes I am one) should know all low bridges near their network and as this has been reported as a new driver brings into question Rotala's training practices.

Statto

Established Member
Well that looks pretty poor signage to me, one tiny sign before the bridge and only chevrons on the 'wrong' side of the road? I saw it on the picture but assumed it the nearside had been knocked down by the bus but it's not there on the Streetview visit either.
Either way a professional driver (yes I am one) should know all low bridges near their network and as this has been reported as a new driver brings into question Rotala's training practices.

That's google street view for you, the image always smaller than the real life view, the sign will be standard size, & there doesn't look like there's any other sign warning of low bridge in the area though, & there was a previous deroofing nearby a couple of years back too.

M60lad

Not speculating or anything but on another forum/social media site it said that it might have been an ex MCT Driver driving the bus at the time.

Also any idea of where the bus will go to be fixed? No dobut though it will just be parked at Weston St for the foreseeable until we are out of lockdown considering most places are still closed for the time being.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th

The driver may have been trained appropriately and it's an human error, or it could be something systemic in training, or something else (like the roadside sign being obscured by a parked vehicle)????.... Hence why we should not speculate.

What we should say is to thank God that it wasn't more serious as we witnessed with the recent Swansea incident

Kahuna47

I must have driven the 471 hundreds of times - and there are two low bridges either side of the station (Richard St, where this incident took place, and Milkstone Road, where the 17 from Queens Rd was deroofed). When I route learned it, it was drummed into us about those bridges, and even now when I approach a bridge I still check my height just in case!

A friend of mine at Bolton has said that a lot of ex-Atherton and ex-MCT drivers are being 'forced' to go out on routes they haven't learned, and when you think about both of those depots they certainly wouldn't have been used to driving deckers!

The only solace we can take is that it happened during lockdown. On a Wednesday at that time the bus would have been heaving.

K

fgwrich

Established Member
This is the same bridge as this accident.

Looking at that, surprisingly it seems that Gemini had it's roof completely replaced and is now back in service with Go North Western. I wonder if Wright's will do the same for this SD then?

M60lad

Actually it isnt the same bridge the driver of the Gemini on 17 hit, that is the next bridge along, the bridge the Rotala bus hit is the one before Rochdale Station on 471 route heading out of Rochdale.

It looks like the driver forgot to turn right and instead went straight on and under the bridge unfortunatly

Status
Not open for further replies.