• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[NL] From single deck to double-deck.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveHarries

Established Member
Evening all,

Just come across this YouTube clip from 2015 which was made and posted by the Dutch state rail operator NS. It seems that the Dutch replace single-deck trains with double-deck simply by converting one to the other as this time-lapse shows.

Dave

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bastien

Evening all,

Just come across this YouTube clip from 2015 which was made and posted by the Dutch state rail operator NS. It seems that the Dutch replace single-deck trains with double-deck simply by converting one to the other as this time-lapse shows.

Dave
That's just a train with 1 single deck end car and the rest double deck. Before and after.

chubs

That's is the renovation of DD-AR which were reclassified DDZ after renovation.

They were double deck before and double deck after. The carriage with only an upper deck has the engines and stuff underneath it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NS_DD-AR

You cant make a single decker double, well not comfortably / safely anyway.

AlexNL

Established Member
Those trains were always double deckers, but their purpose has been changed. Before their makeover they were used for short regional services, after their makeover they're used for long distance services (although they've also been used on all-station local services).

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Must admit they look particularly cramped. I've always found it odd the way NS and KLM, both hailing from the land of the tall, where at 6' 4" I'm a mere baby, both have some of the worst legroom in their respective businesses.

MisterT

I don't think that I've ever heard complaints about the legroom of these trains (of course in refurbished state). There are, however, complaints about the seats being too upright.
For that reason, the next refurbishment project (the VIRM2/3 double deck EMUs) will use different seats. Unfortunately, it was already too late for the current refurbishment project, the VIRM1 series, so those trains have the same seats as the DDZ trains in the video.

Spoorslag '70

I can remember one complaint on the NS costumer forum about the legroom being too big. (The person had to stand and claims extra seats could have been added).

The only stock in the Netherlands I have legroom problems with (I'm 1.9m, so not exactly small) are the SGMm and SLT.

I travelled on what must be one of the last DD-ARs left last Friday, really ugly interiors now and well in need of a refurb. The renovated DDZ trains are really cool and feel much more spacious than their predecessors. A very good job of what an excellent job that can be done with refurbs...tremendous workmanship as well. The darker blue that NS now uses for its livery looks the part as well.

MisterT

The remaining DD-AR trains will not be refurbished.
The trains were brought back in service for just a couple of years to help ease off the overcrowding. They were the leftovers from the refurbishment project and were basically the coaches that were in the worst condition (which also means that they have a habit of frequently generating faults).
As soon as enough units of the new Sprinter Next Generation trains are in service, the DD-AR, DDM1 and subsequently the 1700 locomotives will retire and probably be scrapped.
The retirement is currently planned by the end of this year.

radamfi

Established Member
Those trains were really cramped before refurbishment. Now they are used for Intercity trains, they are less cramped, but that has come at a price of losing the alignment with the windows.

Taunton

Established Member
Quick! A glass of water for the UK Health & Safety lobbyists! There's hardly a hard hat or hi-viz to be seen anywhere in all of that.

Taunton

Established Member
A seat is more important than a window.
Only when all the other seats are taken. Which is by no means all the time. But if you squeeze the seats up they are more uncomfortable for everyone on every trip. And on lines like the Settle & Carlisle or the West Highland, it is genuinely the other way round. Or operators should provide an adequate number of vehicles in the first place.

And you can get to the stage where "seats" are actually not practical any more. There are now some UK operators with 3+2 seating in less-generous width units where, if there are already two passengers seated at the window and the aisle, in winter coats, there's only a sliver of space left between them.

Groningen

Established Member
With the making new of the Dutch Koplopers series 40** and 42** they seems to have more seats in the train so that light above and windows do not align with the windows.

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
Quick! A glass of water for the UK Health & Safety lobbyists! There's hardly a hard hat or hi-viz to be seen anywhere in all of that.

Agreed about hi-viz. But if you look closely there are certainly hard hats around as well as quite a few "bump caps" ie baseball style cap with reinforced top.

Status
Not open for further replies.