• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

NLC 7971 - Where is this location?

Status
Not open for further replies.

father_jack

Hi all.

Can anyone come up with an NLC location for above number. Actually while I'm on does anyone have a comprehensive list ? Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

APT618S

This site lists CRS, NLC, TIPLOC, STANME & STANOX:
The link below is just the "A" page
However I am unable to find 7971. The numbers seem to generally longer than 4 digits.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
This site lists CRS, NLC, TIPLOC, STANME & STANOX:
The link below is just the "A" page
However I am unable to find 7971. The numbers seem to generally longer than 4 digits.
I tried the railwaycodes site searchbox for 7971 with no success either.

alistairlees

Established Member
7971 doesn't exist - at least as of RSP data from 20th January (I don't have anything more up to date).

Haywain

Veteran Member
Hi all.

Can anyone come up with an NLC location for above number. Actually while I'm on does anyone have a comprehensive list ? Thanks in advance.
What has prompted the question (just asking to give some context)?

SargeNpton

Established Member
NLCs are all 6-digit, just that for retail purposes the main NLCs (ending in 00) for stations are reduced to the first 4 digits. Something like 56,000 currently allocated though a detailed search would suggest that 15%-20% of them are for organisations, offices, physical locations that no longer exist.

XAM2175

Established Member
Something like 56,000 currently allocated though a detailed search would suggest that 15%-20% of them are for organisations, offices, physical locations that no longer exist.
I'd actually dug out an old printed directory of NLCs to check this one - with the same assumption that it had probably started as 797100 - and since the answer was found before I got too far in I ended up flipping through Section 4 - Details of certain locations which are not passenger stations but have ticket issuing facilities or are available as destinations, which includes several hundred "locations" as diverse as PTE fare zones, ticketing terminals, and travel agencies.

Quite a few seem to be missing from the Railway Codes site; might have to see about sending them in.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
The Knowledgebase no longer has a comprehensive list, and instructs the user to contact the pricing manager or RDG. I know some ticket office staff find it very irritating. 7971 isn't on it. I assume some other posters probably consulted the same source.

1623801227688.png

SargeNpton

Established Member
Some of you are working under the assumption that NLCs are only for retail purposes; when they are used for any real or virtual rail location to which costs can be attributed or against which revenue can be raised. KnowledgeBase only lists NLCs that are for retail use.

7971(00) is for rail operating purposes only so will not be in that KnowledgeBase list.

If anybody wants to find out more about the history and use of NLCs I'd suggest this link... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Location_Code

alistairlees

Established Member
Indeed, there are several stations where the gatelines have their own NLCs, for example.

SargeNpton

Established Member
Last edited:

Andrew1395

Some of you are working under the assumption that NLCs are only for retail purposes; when they are used for any real or virtual rail location to which costs can be attributed or against which revenue can be raised. KnowledgeBase only lists NLCs that are for retail use.

7971(00) is for rail operating purposes only so will not be in that KnowledgeBase list.

If anybody wants to find out more about the history and use of NLCs I'd suggest this link... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Location_Code
Indeed NLCs are managed by the CORPUS system. That is Codes for Operations, Retailing and Planning Unified Solution. Only a subset of NLCs are allocated for Retailing purposes, and of course Lennon only can use the first four digits. So for many locations Alpha Numeric codes are used in Lennon, principally non railway locations.

Status
Not open for further replies.