• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

No 1st advance tickets on Holyhead-Cardiff loco hauled services

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrJamesBrown

Been having a look on Red Spotted Hanky, I cannot see any of the mentioned tickets available, any ideas guys?

James

Edit

Just for clarification I am looking for tickets on the 16:15 from Cardiff to Holyhead service.

Tickets from Cardiff to Crewe

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I think he's asking about the 0532 Holyhead (HHD) - Cardiff (CDF) and 1615 Cardiff-Holyhead. These services were named 'Y Gerallt Gymro' (Gerald of Wales) but I don't think they are named any more.

I can understand someone saying "No 1st Advance tickets on the Chieftain" as the majority of people will understand that, but this name is rather obscure and I don't think it is used any more, so the OP should be more descriptive.

There is an Advance 1st fare of £76.00 each way for HHD <> CDF in NFM10, I searched for a random date (Tue 7 Feb) and this fare was available for both the 0532 HHD-CDF and 1615 CDF-HHD on that date.

However there is also a 1st Supplement/Upgrade for holders of Standard tickets, AndrewNTH asked about back in August but, unusually, no-one was able to answer. There is an old thread back in 2009 about the 'ATW PREM UPGRDE' supplements.

MrJamesBrown

I think he's asking about the 0532 Holyhead (HHD) - Cardiff (CDF) and 1615 Cardiff-Holyhead. These services were named 'Y Gerallt Gymro' (Gerald of Wales) but I don't think they are named any more.

I can understand someone saying "No 1st Advance tickets on the Chieftain" as the majority of people will understand that, but this name is rather obscure and I don't think it is used any more, so the OP should be more descriptive.

There is an Advance 1st fare of £76.00 each way for HHD <> CDF in NFM10.

However there is a Supplement, AndrewNTH asked about back in August but, unusually, no-one was able to answer.

Thanks Yorkie, I have clarified my original post.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just for clarification I am looking for tickets on the 16:15 from Cardiff to Holyhead service.

Tickets from Cardiff to Crewe
OK, that gives us more information. the Advance 1st fare is £59.00. But you've not given us a date, so I can only speculate why there is either no availability for the (unknown, to me) date you have chosen: perhaps the fares have sold out, or perhaps they are not on sale yet?

MrJamesBrown

OK, that gives us more information. the Advance 1st fare is £59.00. But you've not given us a date, so I can only speculate why there is either no availability for the (unknown, to me) date you have chosen: perhaps the fares have sold out, or perhaps they are not on sale yet?

Again, sorry I am just interested in having a bash on the service and sampling the first service etc, so any date will do.

James

Olympian

They're available on the East Coast website on both the morning and evening journeys for every day I've looked at so far from 12th December onwards but, strangely, don't appear when using the same search on Redspottedhanky even though it's using the same WebTIS booking engine...

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Again, sorry I am just interested in having a bash on the service and sampling the first service etc, so any date will do.

James
Well, I did a search earlier for the 7th of Feb, I'll do another for 10th of Jan.... and the 1st advance fare (£59 to Crewe) is available for that date. I used the EC website.

MrJamesBrown

They're available on the East Coast website on both the morning and evening journeys for every day I've looked at so far from 12th December onwards but, strangely, don't appear when using the same search on Redspottedhanky even though it's using the same WebTIS booking engine...

Well, I did a search earlier for the 7th of Feb, I'll do another for 10th of Jan.... and the 1st advance fare (£59 to Crewe) is available for that date. I used the EC website.

Ahh that clarifies it

All Line Rover

Established Member
However there is also a 1st Supplement/Upgrade for holders of Standard tickets, AndrewNTH asked about back in August but, unusually, no-one was able to answer. There is an old thread back in 2009 about the 'ATW PREM UPGRDE' supplements.

Well we can now. :D ;)

Since it is slightly relevant to this thread, the upgrade fee is, from Cardiff/Newport, £30 to Shrewsbury, £35 to Crewe/Chester and £50 to Holyhead (it is also available between intermediate stations). The upgrade is payable on-board with no additional fee - just sit in First Class (space permitting) and purchase the upgrade from the guard when he comes along.

Essexman

Established Member
Last week I booked £59 advance from Cardiff to Crewe for travel next week. It was only about £9 cheaper than the normal first class fare though.

All Line Rover

Established Member
Last week I booked £59 advance from Cardiff to Crewe for travel next week. It was only about £9 cheaper than the normal first class fare though.

£59 is the only First Class Advance fare available - a grand saving of £9.60 compared to the normal First Class Anytime fare. Unfortunately, it is very difficult to find worthwhile split-ticketing combinations on this route. :( The cheapest option is to pay £13 for a Standard Class Advance ticket, and then pay £35 on-board to upgrade - £48 in total.

Intermodal

Established Member
I wonder how long I can make my location on this f
However there is also a 1st Supplement/Upgrade for holders of Standard tickets, AndrewNTH asked about back in August but, unusually, no-one was able to answer.

As an update to this, I got the ticket excessed to the price of an advance first ticket, instead of properly "upgraded" and it worked out the excess that was done improperly was actually cheaper than the appropriate upgrade!

In the end though, it didn't matter as I lost my tickets and I had to persuade the guard to let me travel (which he did, in first) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.