• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

No Class 87 Return

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Post now irrelvant see bottom post

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
What a shame, would have been great to see them out again :(

Established Member
Current plan afaik is to use EWS skoda's, but it will be a stanby rake rather than booked diagram.

At least two 325s have had their power cars returned as well...

metrocammel

I really do think that the seven's will return.... I cant accept that the last couple of weeks "seven action" was a coincidence. What with mk3 stock moves WB to OY, 87002 l/e from OY etc etc... I'm taking the view that with no official statements from Virgin, any of the 87 operators or EWS, anything can happen.... We shall wait & see!! (and touch a fair bit of wood!)

ikar

metrocammel said:
I really do think that the seven's will return.... I cant accept that the last couple of weeks "seven action" was a coincidence. What with mk3 stock moves WB to OY, 87002 l/e from OY etc etc... I'm taking the view that with no official statements from Virgin, any of the 87 operators or EWS, anything can happen.... We shall wait & see!! (and touch a fair bit of wood!)

If there's no driver refreshment, there'll be no return of them.

Established Member
metrocammel said:

optomism admired metcam!
87002 to replace 026 with GBRf for use on s96/m44 afaik, although these trains are expected to revert to unit operation around easter.

jonb

Established Member
87015 said:
these trains are expected to revert to unit operation around easter.

I'd question that!! Why have GB taken on more 87's if their going to revert BACK to operating the 325's alone. However a few weeks ago a single 325 did crawl through H & W heading North, seemed to be a fair few people in the front as well

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I read somewhere that they were fixing the 325s

ChrisCooper

Established Member
The most likely alternative for locos are 90s from EWS. They have plenty spair (even though 'one' seem to break them regularly), with EWS having no work for them other than the odd railtour, so they are going to be more than happy to hire some more out to TOCs. HSTs arn't likely, since they would struggle to maintain the none EPS electric timings, and since the ex MML sets seem likely to end up with FGW and/or GNER, this only leaves the ex Virgin stuff, which is in rarther poor condition anyway.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
According to wnxx it might be class 87s again :p

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
But how can this be if no driver training has taken place?

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Latest posting suggest it will be class 87s starting in May/June. A test run apparently take place in the near future
--- edited ---
This has just been posted on class87gen

From the Summer timetable (12/06/06) there is a MK3 set diagrammed Monday -
Fridays on-

0620 Rugby - Euston
1652 Euston - New Street
1900 New Street - Euston

Set will start and finish at Wembley and will sit in Euston as a "hot set"
during the day.

Expect the set to work at weekends for VXC.

Locos to be 87002 & 87026 with 004 as a spare.

:p

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That would be the most likely route i expect

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Ho-hum! 87 haulage again! This could be interesting, I'll be aiming to do them out of Euston when they start again!

Status
Not open for further replies.