No fares available on North Kent Line (East of Dartford) to south London during bank holiday weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

hkstudent

I was searching for tickets from North Kent Lines stations, namely Greenhithe, and trying to get to some south London stations like Dulwich and Herne Hill.
Surprisingly, no tickets can be found on any TOC journey planner, nor a valid fare journey from National Rail Journey Planner. (the journeys offered by NR Journey Planner are like, via London Underground or via Petts Wood)

How would that happen for customers be unable to purchase a ticket for the journey they want to travel on, without any strange via points or avoid points?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I was searching for tickets from North Kent Lines stations, namely Greenhithe, and trying to get to some south London stations like Dulwich and Herne Hill.
Surprisingly, no tickets can be found on any TOC journey planner, nor a valid fare journey from National Rail Journey Planner. (the journeys offered by NR Journey Planner are like, via London Underground or via Petts Wood)

How would that happen for customers be unable to purchase a ticket for the journey they want to travel on, without any strange via points or avoid points?
It looks like various engineering works are meaning that you have to use the Underground between Charing Cross and Victoria.

kieron

Established Member
I don't know which station you mean by "Dulwich", but the root problem with Greenhithe-Herne Hill is that the route via Petts Wood is often the fastest one, but it isn't valid on a through ticket. I don't know if that's how things are normally or if it's just because of a Covid timetable.

It is valid on a travelcard, so it's a pity that you weren't offered one on the web site(s) you tried. GWR does offer it if you ask for that journey, and will offer a (more expensive) off peak day return if you select an itinerary using HS1.

hkstudent

It looks like various engineering works are meaning that you have to use the Underground between Charing Cross and Victoria.
And surprisingly, no standard return tickets (no matter HS1 or non-HS1) are offered with such a route...

Veteran Member
And surprisingly, no standard return tickets (no matter HS1 or non-HS1) are offered with such a route...
NRE offers me an OP Travelcard at 16.20 (inputting via LBG) which is significantly cheaper than an Any Permitted OP Day Return to Herne Hill at 19.90.
For some reason it won't offer this via Petts Wood, though it is undoubtedly valid that way.

There is a much cheaper Not Via London OP fare - I presume the route is Lewisham-Peckham Rye-Tulse Hill which is not possible today. (What a faff - I'd go to Denmark Hill and catch a bus!)

There are no trains from Blackfriars to Herne Hill today, so some sort of ticket acceptance should be in place for that.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
As noted above, there have been massive engineering works over the weekend, variously affecting 'Thameslink', Southeastern and the DLR Lewisham line. No rail access to Lewisham in any way shape or form yesterday, it seems.

(I had to attend a social event in the area.)

The basic answer to the OP's question would seem to be along the lines of 'don't offer rail tickets for journeys that will be infeasible by rail'.

Obviously multi-modal tickets like Travelcard and Oyster will be useful if you like/need to use buses in the area.

hkstudent

NRE offers me an OP Travelcard at 16.20 (inputting via LBG) which is significantly cheaper than an Any Permitted OP Day Return to Herne Hill at 19.90.
For some reason it won't offer this via Petts Wood, though it is undoubtedly valid that way.

There is a much cheaper Not Via London OP fare - I presume the route is Lewisham-Peckham Rye-Tulse Hill which is not possible today. (What a faff - I'd go to Denmark Hill and catch a bus!)

There are no trains from Blackfriars to Herne Hill today, so some sort of ticket acceptance should be in place for that.
The via Hither Green - Petts Wood - Herne Hill option was the shortest journey option (only 9 minutes longer than usual days), but Southeastern (the only operator) site just gave up and not offering any fares (not even the travelcard option), which is very strange.

I don't know why via Petts Wood option was not added as a permitted route for the planned engineering work days.

As noted above, there have been massive engineering works over the weekend, variously affecting 'Thameslink', Southeastern and the DLR Lewisham line. No rail access to Lewisham in any way shape or form yesterday, it seems.

(I had to attend a social event in the area.)

The basic answer to the OP's question would seem to be along the lines of 'don't offer rail tickets for journeys that will be infeasible by rail'.

Obviously multi-modal tickets like Travelcard and Oyster will be useful if you like/need to use buses in the area.
The journey was feasible by rail, and the detoured route was not much longer than usual days, and just one extra change.

Status
Not open for further replies.