• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

No MHR Diesel gala 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

T

Tom

[modnotice]

Moved to Preserved & Model Railways, including Railwayana, etc.

Jim

Established Member
FU** OFF. NO MHR = NO 2006 :cry: ~I jolly well hope this is not true, as I LOVE the MHR gala. 1 of the besy IMO. Please say you are lying, & no WSR either, what is happing? :cry:

Nick

Jim said:
FU** OFF. NO MHR = NO 2006 :cry: ~I jolly well hope this is not true, as I LOVE the MHR gala. 1 of the besy IMO. Please say you are lying, & no WSR either, what is happing? :cry:

Ah well theres always a Great day's bashing at the Great Central Railway's two Diesel galas (March and September 2006-Cromptons, Rats, Tractors, Peaks....oh yes :D)

Guinness

Established Member
Nick said:
Jim said:

Ah well theres always a Great day's bashing at the Great Central Railway's two Diesel galas (March and September 2006-Cromptons, Rats, Tractors, Peaks....oh yes :D)

And Peds! ;)

Coxster

Established Member
Sad if it's true. The MHR and WSR are always well planned out events.

joy54.gen

I heard the MHRs event wasn't hapening due to lack of drivers and something to do with the HMRI.

TheSlash

Established Member
I read a statement on the MHR website earlier today saying basically that due to lack of drivers and lack of time to train them in, there will be no gala
I think the mainline drivers who normally help out now have to have a pilotman for route knowledge and there aren't enough pilotmen available for the event, nor enough time to train them.
My verdict? Never heard such a complete utter load of ****e from the MHR before

1K73

Of course, the MHR happens to be one of the most anti-diesel lines in preservation....ever read the history of the lines 27 and 45? I wouldn't...

David

1K73

Chaz said:
Nick said:
Jim said:

And Peds! ;)

GCR? Done it every year 2001-2005, and never had anything different, apart from the appearence of the Shredder this year....

If you want a gala with lots of varied traction each year, look no further than the ELR.....

Although Llangollen Galas mare bloody good too!

David

richa2002

Established Member
TheSlash said:
I read a statement on the MHR website earlier today saying basically that due to lack of drivers and lack of time to train them in, there will be no gala
I think the mainline drivers who normally help out now have to have a pilotman for route knowledge and there aren't enough pilotmen available for the event, nor enough time to train them.
My verdict? Never heard such a complete utter load of ****e from the MHR before

Have loads of people left since the last one ? That would be the only way to explain it. I would have thought the pilotmen would enjoy having mainline locos there.

Simming

40445 said:
GCR? Done it every year 2001-2005, and never had anything different, apart from the appearence of the Shredder this year....

If you want a gala with lots of varied traction each year, look no further than the ELR.....

Although Llangollen Galas mare bloody good too!

David

WSR, Loads of varity each year. Ive been meaning to get to a ELR gala, but theres no easy way to get there and back from cornwall.

1K73

Likewise, WSR is tough to get to from Manchester!

David

TheSlash

Established Member
Richard, from what i can gather from various sources, preserved lines now need to have somebody on the footplate at least {this is also classed as the cab non steam} with route knowledge.
Running 10 miles, stopping at 4 stations with fairly simple signalling systems is pretty easy for a mainline qualified driver, so thats why nobody has batted an eyelid before now when they did abit of guest driving at preserved railways, after all you are running at 25mph max so sighting of signals, stations etc isn't a problem.
A pilotman is somebody with route knowledge who can accompany a driver over a section of track of which he has no route knowledge. The best common example i can think of to describe this would be if only WAGN ran by the Hertford loop on the ECML and emergency requirements {broken rail signal failure etc} required a GNER train to use this instead of the main line. As the GNER guys wouldnt normally use this route, they'd have no 'route knowledge'. But a WAGN driver could jump in the cab and 'pilot the GNER guy {telling him where to apply power, shut off power, what stations to stop at if neccessary etc}
So if the Mid Hants really wanted a diesel gals next year, they have loads of time to train pilotmen or train mainline drivers about the route. So as as others have said, they are being anti diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.