• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

No more loco-hauled over Bernina Pass?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squaddie

At the end of this week I'll be setting off on a three-week trip to photograph the Rhaetian Railway in south-eastern Switzerland. The first week will be devoted to the Bernina line between Pontresina and Tirano.

I'm just looking at the timetables and motive power diagrams to plan my trip, and it seems that the vast majority of services along this line, including the Bernina Express trains, are now operated (or hauled) by ABe 8/12 "Allegra" multiple units, with a handful of services each day being operated/hauled by ABe 4/4 III railcars. There appear to be no locomotive-hauled services at all.

Does anyone know whether this is true (i.e., have I completely mis-read the diagrams)? If so, it would be a shame, because locomotive-hauled trains are so photogenic. When I was last in that area, back in February, about a quarter of all services were locomotive-hauled. Is that now the end of such trains on this line?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Oscar

Fares Advisor
German Wikipedia seems to confirm this, stating that 6 railcars are used along with the Allegra units. When I last travelled on the line nearly a year ago most services seemed to be operated by the railcars.

I travelled from Landquart to Scuol and back about three weeks ago and both trains were locomotive hauled. I also saw locomotives working St. Moritz - Scuol services and Allegra units working Schiers - Rhäzüns services.

Squaddie

Thanks for the confirmation. It's a shame, as I said, although as my photography tends to focus on the landscape rather than the motive power it doesn't really make that much difference.

Actually, having just reviewed the photographs I took at Lago Bianco back in February, it seems that most of the trains that I remembered as being locomotive hauled were actually being hauled by one or two ABe 4/4 III railcars. All my photographs of loco-hauled services were taken on the Albula and Engadine lines.

When I go on these photography expeditions I'm constantly frustrated that the photographs don't properly capture the breathtaking reality of the surroundings. I'm lucky if I get one great picture per day, which seems scant reward for the hours spend trudging through deep snow to find the perfect viewpoint and sitting waiting for the train to come. However, even at one good picture per day, I'm now beginning to build an impressive library of photographs of the Rhaetian Railway. I just try not to think how much each picture has cost me, when the cost of travel and hotels is taken into account!

starrymarkb

Established Member
Thanks for the confirmation. It's a shame, as I said, although as my photography tends to focus on the landscape rather than the motive power it doesn't really make that much difference.

Actually, having just reviewed the photographs I took at Lago Bianco back in February, it seems that most of the trains that I remembered as being locomotive hauled were actually being hauled by one or two ABe 4/4 III railcars. All my photographs of loco-hauled services were taken on the Albula and Engadine lines.

When I go on these photography expeditions I'm constantly frustrated that the photographs don't properly capture the breathtaking reality of the surroundings. I'm lucky if I get one great picture per day, which seems scant reward for the hours spend trudging through deep snow to find the perfect viewpoint and sitting waiting for the train to come. However, even at one good picture per day, I'm now beginning to build an impressive library of photographs of the Rhaetian Railway. I just try not to think how much each picture has cost me, when the cost of travel and hotels is taken into account!

Are there any locomotives that can work the Bernina? As I understood it parts are at a different voltage (1000V DC) to the main RhB network (11kV AC) hence needing Dual Voltage EMUs...

Edit: According to Wikipedia (pinch of salt on standby) all electric RhB locomotives are 11kV only - They do have a couple of diesels though

Last edited:

Alfie1014

Locomotives don't work over the Bernina Line all services are operated with multiple units hauling coaches as necessary. Having done the route a number times in recent years the coaches off the Bernina Express are hauled by an EMU on the route to Tirano.

robvulpes

Are there any locomotives that can work the Bernina? As I understood it parts are at a different voltage (1000V DC) to the main RhB network (11kV AC) hence needing Dual Voltage EMUs...

Edit: According to Wikipedia (pinch of salt on standby) all electric RhB locomotives are 11kV only - They do have a couple of diesels though

Not quite right - 801/802 are electro-diesel locos without passenger or luggage accommodation, and the electric mode is at the Bernina 1000v DC voltage, not the 11kV of the rest of the network. In electric mode they were about the same power as the ABe 4/4 II 4x railcars. However 801/802 are now normally only used in departmental service following the arrival of the Allegras. Note that the Allegras are very powerful and haul 'loose' coaches, in the same way that pairs of the older railcars did (and still do in the case of the more modern ABe 4/4 III 5x railcars).

Rob

Genocide

It's been unit tractors for many years now. If you want a loco the shunt move for the through stock at Samendan is diesel. Usually 843.

Edit - the old AB4/ii's - 47 -54 series - were always worth listing to.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.