• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

NO MORE SAVER RETURN TICKETS?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aureol

Established Member
With a spanner in hand in D212's engine room
UKTrainSim said:
Radio 4 ( You and Yours ) has just given a six minute report that walk on "Saver Returns" are likely to be abolished as of Jan 1st 2007. The Dept. for Transport is strongly considering removing the legal requirement for TOC's to provide discounted walk on fares... ie. The Saver Returns. These were guaranteed when the railways were de-nationalised to appease critics of privatisation...now removal will lead to thousands of passengers facing rises of over 100 % and turning their backs on the railways !

Expensive rail tickets for 2007 with the looks of it! :cry:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Simming

Oh well, looks like getting a car is going to be high priority for me next year now.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I can't see it happening. But if it does, then the railways will be exlusively for:

* People with PRIVs
* People who book ages in advance
* Business people / Rich people who can afford Standard Open Returns
* People who go on very short journeys

The only exception to this will be people who know how to get a rather large combination of Cheap Day Returns to save money over the Standard Open fares. That is assuming it's only Savers they abolish, and assuming a day trip.

Many people would be forced into their cars.

I can't see it happening as there will be a LOT of objections.

metrocammel

Are you sure it's a total abolishion of Saver tickets, or is it just not saver tickets available on trains as "walk - on" fares. The latter would be understandable, and Virgin Trains already have that Open single / return rule - (I dont know about any other TOC's with that rule?)

If it is the former, it would be a ridiculous idea, and Im sure it would never happen. If it does, it would in theory kill the railways, and put loads more cars on the roads - but when we run out of oil???

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If this is true, its very bad news for the railways. Though, as Yorkie, I couldn't imagine that it would.

steve158

personally i think it's just speculation. as most people have said, affordable travel on the railways would stop.

if the TOCs are losing money, and most do, then the passengers should not be hit in the pocket - for example, GNER and Virgin could cut down on promoting their image so much.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Many Saver tickets are a rip-off, this could be a ploy to make people think "things could be worse, if you had to pay Standard Open prices", the result? People are glad to have savers and don't think they're so bad.

However if so, then it's not really working. Some Savers are alright, and they're useful at peak times if you have a railcard, but really they're a waste of money on routes where combinations of CDRs work out cheaper.

As for the Standard Open fares, you have to be barmy (or rich) to pay those.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
yorkie said:

Or travelling before 07:30 as I found out last week when going to Manchester :(

Angus

steve158 said:
if the TOCs are losing money, and most do, then the passengers should not be hit in the pocket - for example, GNER and Virgin could cut down on promoting their image so much.

Perhaps some TOCs could cut down on repainting their trains into a new livery every couple of years as well (e.g. FGW who have had 3 liveries since they took over (not including original GWT green)).

Guinness

Established Member
yorkie said:

Or you could be wanting a very flexable ticket and wanting to travel on Peak Trains.......

Status
Not open for further replies.