• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"No new DMU orders in CP5"

Status
Not open for further replies.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
It's actually a bit debateable how many EMUs the EMT successor would need for local/regional services. Assuming current electrification plans only, and that the franchise geography and service pattern remains the same, the answer is none! As I noted Matlock needs three diagrams, and about the same again for Nottingham-Leicester slows assuming these are split off from the Lincolns. So really more electrification is needed to get a big enough fleet to be cost-effective.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pemma

Veteran Member
It's actually a bit debateable how many EMUs the EMT successor would need for local/regional services. Assuming current electrification plans only, and that the franchise geography and service pattern remains the same, the answer is none!

Depends if you count Corby to London as a regional service. Normally a service like that wouldn't be classed as an Intercity service but the EMT services to/from St Pancras generally are.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Yes integrating any East Midlands electric locos with the Corby fleet might be worthwhile. In fact if the whole fleet was fitted with batteries they could be used to get the units between Corby and Syston for depot moves.

Class377/5

Established Member
Yes integrating any East Midlands electric locos with the Corby fleet might be worthwhile. In fact if the whole fleet was fitted with batteries they could be used to get the units between Corby and Syston for depot moves.

But the proposal is for Bedford Cauldwell depot to be used in part by EMT franchise. Especially as Thameslink won't by using it in the same way as it does today.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
But the proposal is for Bedford Cauldwell depot to be used in part by EMT franchise. Especially as Thameslink won't by using it in the same way as it does today.

In which case either we're back to a micro-fleet for any electric East Midlands locals, or they have to be based in Bedford - which they could get to by using battery power to Corby and in service from there.

Class377/5

Established Member
In which case either we're back to a micro-fleet for any electric East Midlands locals, or they have to be based in Bedford - which they could get to by using battery power to Corby and in service from there.

Corby is to be wired. The rumors are they will be using the first 387s released from Thameslink. Something Cauldwell depot will be very used too by then.

Note NR expected two separate fleets for EMT. 377 like for Corby and 125mph EMU for the intercity stock. So the plan has always been for a micro fleet.

Kneedown

Established Member
How much would 47 miles of electrification cost? It might be an aspiration but how many businesses would actually be prepared to pay for it when asked? Given the relatively sparse population along the Matlock branch I'm not really sure how the figures would add up. I honestly think that the DfT could come up with far more deserving cases i.e. the West Midlands. I'm not anti Derbyshire as it's my Motherland!

The sparse population does a pretty good job of filling up the current services for their daily commute. Tourism does a healthy job of this too. Also consider that the Matlock service is shortly to be extended to Newark Castle, thus providing a half hourly service to Newark. It's not just the quantity of people along the branch itself you have to consider (in which case how does electrifying Windermere add up?) It's the population along the entire route.
I'd hardly consider the West Midlands a more deserving case for electrification as there is plenty of it around there already. I've always believed that improvements should be spread around the country, and seeing as the East Midlands has the fastest growing economy outside London it's maybe time to put the necessary infrastructure improvements in place?
Businesses might not be prepared to stump up vast amounts of hard cash, but they are good at putting pressure on the powers that be.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
£240m at the current rate of £1.5m per stkm.
Not loose change.

A drop in the ocean compared to some infrastructure projects.

Sheet Stores-Stoke-Crewe is on the list for gauge enhancement, to allow W10 freight from (Felixstowe-) Syston-Stoke (-Crewe) avoiding the WCML.
The MML electrification will wire Derby-Ambergate.
But in the present climate I don't think this route will be very far up the priority list for CP6.
Derby-Birmingham-Bristol would surely come first, but might also be the trigger for in-fill electrification of Stenson-Stoke later.
Matlock would be quite cheap as an MML add-on.

Matlock is a no-brainer IMHO, and Derby - Stoke would also benefit Freight as well as passenger services.

As I mentioned earlier it is an aspiration from Councils and Businesses for Notts - Lincoln to be wired. Another relatively easy job, although I think there would have to be a flyover at Newark (probably already under consideration) In addition to Matlock and Stoke this still comes out at only around 87 miles in total.

3 unit diagrams for Derby - Crewe, 4 for Newark to Matlock, and 3 (or is it 4?) for Lincoln - Leicester gives at least 10 units. Add another diagram if the half hourly Newark is eventually extended to Lincoln. Not a bad fleet size.

Last edited:

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Corby is to be wired. The rumors are they will be using the first 387s released from Thameslink. Something Cauldwell depot will be very used too by then.

Note NR expected two separate fleets for EMT. 377 like for Corby and 125mph EMU for the intercity stock. So the plan has always been for a micro fleet.

I was thinking of if the fleet for Derby-Matlock etc was based at Bedford, how they might get there.

RichmondCommu

Established Member

If Hitachi were to win the order for new Intercity EMU's on the MML then surely this would not be too much of an issue if Hitachi also won the order to build EMU's for local services. I'm assuming here that the Intercity EMU's would be based at Etches Park, in which case the EMU's running on local services would be too. Never the less, even with a micro fleet would it really make economic sense to run empty stock EMU's from Derby / Nottingham to Bedford for maintenance?
The sparse population does a pretty good job of filling up the current services for their daily commute. Tourism does a healthy job of this too. Also consider that the Matlock service is shortly to be extended to Newark Castle, thus providing a half hourly service to Newark. It's not just the quantity of people along the branch itself you have to consider (in which case how does electrifying Windermere add up?) It's the population along the entire route.

Despite living in SW London I have used the Matlock branch during the peak on several occasions due to having strong family connections up there. On each occasion the trains have been busy but they were certainly not full / standing room only. Even at Belper (which is where I would have caught the train) the platforms were hardly crowded. I concur that tourism is an important source of bums on seats but you wouldn't use that as an excuse to electrify the S & C, let alone the Matlock branch.

I acknowledge that the service gets busier between Derby and Nottingham but that doesn't strengthen the case for wiring up a rural branch line. As others have suggested the best and indeed only sensible solution would be to use battery powered EMU's up the Matlock branch.

As for the Windermere branch, I'm amazed that NR is even considering wiring up the branch. I can only assume TPE no longer wish to run any DMU's up the WCML because I can't see that there is an economic case for electric services on the Windermere line.

I'd hardly consider the West Midlands a more deserving case for electrification as there is plenty of it around there already. I've always believed that improvements should be spread around the country, and seeing as the East Midlands has the fastest growing economy outside London it's maybe time to put the necessary infrastructure improvements in place?
Businesses might not be prepared to stump up vast amounts of hard cash, but they are good at putting pressure on the powers that be.

Please don't be so ridiculous as to suggest that the Matlock branch should take priority over the Snow Hill lines in Birmingham. Electrification projects, like all infrastructure projects are chosen on their economic merits and not because one region has lots of electrification and the other doesn't.

Are you able to list any of the businesses along the route that have enough clout to put pressure on the Government to spend millions wiring up the route? Do you honestly believe that businesses would leave the region of the Matlock branch wasn't wired up?

A drop in the ocean compared to some infrastructure projects.

That’s very true but other than the Derby station remodeling there is no economic case for spending vast sums of money on the rail network in the East Midlands.

Matlock is a no-brainer IMHO, and Derby - Stoke would also benefit Freight as well as passenger services.

How much freight currently uses the Derby - Stoke line? All I can think of is the service carrying aviation fuel to the Rolls Royce plants at Sinfin. For your plan to be viable NR would have to justify the economics of wiring up the Sheet Stores - Stenson Junction route not to mention the route from Felixstowe. The bums on seats alone would not justify the cost of electrification.

paul1609

Established Member
Other than the cost of the batteries, there wouldn't be anything stopping TOC's using them as pure EMU's. Given that the plan is that they would likely be the same trains as the TOC's are using just with batteries I doubt the normall issues of mirco fleets would come into play as much.

Apparently they are not deemed suitable for either of the Southern non electrified services. Having a 2 hour turnaround at Ashford to recharge destroys the economic case over a 171 that turns round in 18 mins. Hurst Green to Uckfield and back is outside the expected range.

Class 170101

Established Member
I'm not surprised that NR are considering wiring the Windermere branch to be honest. This could be another Paisley Canal scheme particularly as no freight uses the branch. No feeder station required either I would suggest.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I'm not surprised that NR are considering wiring the Windermere branch to be honest. This could be another Paisley Canal scheme particularly as no freight uses the branch. No feeder station required either I would suggest.

Would make sense. By a similar vein, they should do Middlesborough (although obviously freight might be more of an issue.
Apparently they are not deemed suitable for either of the Southern non electrified services. Having a 2 hour turnaround at Ashford to recharge destroys the economic case over a 171 that turns round in 18 mins. Hurst Green to Uckfield and back is outside the expected range.

Those routes really need to jet the juice as well.

Gareth Marston

Established Member
Would make sense. By a similar vein, they should do Middlesborough (although obviously freight might be more of an issue.

Those routes really need to jet the juice as well.

ORR s Rail industry costs spreadsheet gives some good clues as to savings by using electricity as it lists the fuel costs per TOC and split between Diesel and Electric. ATW ran 23 million train km and used £22 million in diesel, Merseyraoils all electric fleet ran 7 million train Km for £4 million of electricity costs. Virgins 20 odd Voyagers guzzled £26 million of diesel whilst their 52 Pendolinos only needed £36 of electricity.

Kneedown

Established Member
Despite living in SW London I have used the Matlock branch during the peak on several occasions due to having strong family connections up there. On each occasion the trains have been busy but they were certainly not full / standing room only. Even at Belper (which is where I would have caught the train) the platforms were hardly crowded. I concur that tourism is an important source of bums on seats but you wouldn't use that as an excuse to electrify the S & C, let alone the Matlock branch.

I work both peak, and off peak services, and I have to say that during the peak, not being overcrowded is the exception rather than the rule, but that aside, is it a requirement that current services are overcrowded before electrification is considered for a route? You say yourself that in your experiences the trains were busy.

I acknowledge that the service gets busier between Derby and Nottingham but that doesn't strengthen the case for wiring up a rural branch line. As others have suggested the best and indeed only sensible solution would be to use battery powered EMU's up the Matlock branch.

I did not advocate wiring the Matlock Branch on it's own, but as part of add-on's to the MML scheme, including Derby - Stoke, and Notts - Lincoln. As I pointed out earlier, the Matlock- Nottingham service is very shortly to be extended to Newark, and the chances are eventually Lincoln, thus restoring the half hourly service. Hardly a sleepy, rural operation and the authorities and businesses along the route eventually want it wired. If the demand is such it would be daft to not go ahead for the sake of 7 miles of single line. You have to consider the benefits for the route/service as a whole, not just the quietest extreme end.
I'm not an expert on how far battery technology has progressed (maybe someone with knowledge can enlighten me?) I am aware that an experimental battery/ac EMU is to be trialled on Anglia routes. IMHO I cant see how a unit with heavy batteries could adequately charge those batteries in a couple of hours on ac mode without wearing out those expensive batteries pretty quickly. I personally think the trials will take place and the idea quietly dropped, but as I said, I stand to be corrected on this by someone with the relevant and up to date technical knowledge.

As for the Windermere branch, I'm amazed that NR is even considering wiring up the branch. I can only assume TPE no longer wish to run any DMU's up the WCML because I can't see that there is an economic case for electric services on the Windermere line.

On it's own it would not be economical to electrify Windermere, but it removes a lot of diesel running under the wires, which is why it makes sense, and why a few well thought out add on's to the MML scheme make sense too.

Please don't be so ridiculous as to suggest that the Matlock branch should take priority over the Snow Hill lines in Birmingham. Electrification projects, like all infrastructure projects are chosen on their economic merits and not because one region has lots of electrification and the other doesn't.

What, exactly is ridiculous about the suggestion? All the schemes i've put forward come to a total of less than 90miles and are simple projects that could be tagged on to the MML project.
The Snow Hill lines would be a whole new scheme that benefited only Chiltern, a TOC with more modern DMU's than EMT, DMU's with limits on where they can be cascaded to in the future.

[EDIT] After a nights sleep i've thought that maybe LM services use Snow Hill as well? I'm sure there is merit to wiring up more Cross City lines, but that doesn't negate the merits of wiring other parts of the country, especially when those projects would be short, relatively easy, and that LM use the most modern DMU's in the country on their Snow Hill lines? [/EDIT]

Are you able to list any of the businesses along the route that have enough clout to put pressure on the Government to spend millions wiring up the route? Do you honestly believe that businesses would leave the region of the Matlock branch wasn't wired up?

"D2N2": Derby's and Nott's Local Enterprise Partnership, Newark and Sherwood Council, Robert Jenrick, MP for Newark. George Osborne is a fan.I believe a business partnership in Lincolnshire is also supportive although I cant find a site link at the minute.
I never said any businesses would up sticks and leave if it wasn't wired, I don't know where you got that from, but i'm sure that more businesses would settle in the area if the lines I mentioned were wired. After all, the East Midlands is now officially the fastest growing economy outside London.

That’s very true but other than the Derby station remodeling there is no economic case for spending vast sums of money on the rail network in the East Midlands.

Vast sums have already been spent in the East Midlands on re-signalling and trackwork. More is being spent on MML electrification. There is obviously an economic case for this, so how can you say there is no case for finishing the job? Is there a recent cost/benefit analysis that you are privy too? If London and Manchester get all the money then the rest of the Country will be left to rot. Is that what you would like to see? When the juice is turned on, on the MML, 156's and 153's will be 30 years old at end of their original life expectancy. Life extention programme's are only a temporary solution. They will need replacing if they don't fall apart before then. Best to bite the bullet and start wiring while the teams are in the area. That should apply to other major schemes as well. The initial costs are more than offset over the years by the savings in fuel, maintenence, reliability, wear and tear, etc.

How much freight currently uses the Derby - Stoke line? All I can think of is the service carrying aviation fuel to the Rolls Royce plants at Sinfin. For your plan to be viable NR would have to justify the economics of wiring up the Sheet Stores - Stenson Junction route not to mention the route from Felixstowe. The bums on seats alone would not justify the cost of electrification.

Not a great deal of freight uses it currently, but as pointed out by a previous poster, gauge improvement is shortly to take place on the route, including singling the line through Meir Tunnel to accomodate containers. I hardly think money would be spent on this if more freight traffic was not on the agenda?

Last edited:

RichmondCommu

Established Member
I work both peak, and off peak services, and I have to say that during the peak, not being overcrowded is the exception rather than the rule, but that aside, is it a requirement that current services are overcrowded before electrification is considered for a route? You say yourself that in your experiences the trains were busy.

During the peak I would expect the service to be overcrowded between Derby and Nottingham but in my experience that has never been the case on the Matlock branch. There is a significant difference between being busy and standing room only. In answer to your question I would suggest that there are busier lines in England that have a stronger case for electrification than the Matlock branch. Not only that but from what I've read on here one train per hour in each direction is not sufficient for NR to consider wiring up a route.

I did not advocate wiring the Matlock Branch on it's own, but as part of add-on's to the MML scheme, including Derby - Stoke, and Notts - Lincoln. As I pointed out earlier, the Matlock- Nottingham service is very shortly to be extended to Newark, and the chances are eventually Lincoln, thus restoring the half hourly service. Hardly a sleepy, rural operation and the authorities and businesses along the route eventually want it wired. If the demand is such it would be daft to not go ahead for the sake of 7 miles of single line. You have to consider the benefits for the route/service as a whole, not just the quietest extreme end.

Despite all the information that you have given I don't understand how the Matlock branch would be able to have a service every half hour. You suggest that the service will be restored to every half hour but I can't recall a time when the branch had a service every half an hour.

On it's own it would not be economical to electrify Windermere, but it removes a lot of diesel running under the wires, which is why it makes sense, and why a few well thought out add on's to the MML scheme make sense too.

Given the GWML electrification project is over budget I would suggest that there will be even more emphasis placed on the economic implications of wiring rural branch lines. Clearly these schemes are starting to cost more than the original projections suggested. And in all fairness if NR thought that the scheme was economically viable then surely it would have been included in CP5?

What, exactly is ridiculous about the suggestion? All the schemes i've put forward come to a total of less than 90miles and are simple projects that could be tagged on to the MML project.
The Snow Hill lines would be a whole new scheme that benefited only Chiltern, a TOC with more modern DMU's than EMT, DMU's with limits on where they can be cascaded to in the future.

[EDIT] After a nights sleep i've thought that maybe LM services use Snow Hill as well? I'm sure there is merit to wiring up more Cross City lines, but that doesn't negate the merits of wiring other parts of the country, especially when those projects would be short, relatively easy, and that LM use the most modern DMU's in the country on their Snow Hill lines? [/EDIT]

There's no maybe about it, there are plenty of LM services that use the Snow Lines. I concur that there are other lines that have a good case for electrification but they don't include the Matlock branch or the line from Derby to Stoke. And I've not read anything that suggests that the class 172's could not be moved away from the Snow Hill lines. A short project doesn't necessarily mean that it is financially viable or else the GOBLIN would have been done in the last five years.

"D2N2": Derby's and Nott's Local Enterprise Partnership, Newark and Sherwood Council, Robert Jenrick, MP for Newark. George Osborne is a fan.I believe a business partnership in Lincolnshire is also supportive although I cant find a site link at the minute.
I never said any businesses would up sticks and leave if it wasn't wired, I don't know where you got that from, but i'm sure that more businesses would settle in the area if the lines I mentioned were wired. After all, the East Midlands is now officially the fastest growing economy outside London.

I'm curious to know why none of the County Councils have decided to back the scheme, even much political clout they have, not to mention their budgets. I would also suggest that Local Enterprise Partnerships have aspirations for all kinds of things, regardless of how realistic they are. I'm also interested to know what influence local businesses have unless they are prepared to partially fund schemes or threaten to relocate.

The one thing that is likely to encourage businesses to relocate to the East Midlands is the electrification of the MML rather than any local schemes. In terms of economic growth in the East Midlands, how low was the starting point? I would be interested to know the growth rate compares to the rest of the country.

Vast sums have already been spent in the East Midlands on re-signalling and trackwork. More is being spent on MML electrification. There is obviously an economic case for this, so how can you say there is no case for finishing the job? Is there a recent cost/benefit analysis that you are privy too?

Compared to other projects around the country e.g. Reading, Crossrail and London Bridge I would not describe the amount of money spent in the East Midlands as being "vast". I would suggest that NR is "finishing the job" by wiring up the MML and remodeling Derby station.

If London and Manchester get all the money then the rest of the Country will be left to rot. Is that what you would like to see? When the juice is turned on, on the MML, 156's and 153's will be 30 years old at end of their original life expectancy. Life extention programme's are only a temporary solution. They will need replacing if they don't fall apart before then. Best to bite the bullet and start wiring while the teams are in the area. That should apply to other major schemes as well. The initial costs are more than offset over the years by the savings in fuel, maintenence, reliability, wear and tear, etc.

If the East Midlands is the fastest economy outside of the SE how is it being left to rot? My original post suggested that local authorities should fund their own units to run on routes that are not financially viable for electrification, thus ensuring that new trains are not moved away. Failing that, why not electrify the Snow Hill lines and transfer the other units to other areas. That way the older units can be replaced if it's no longer economically viable to keep them running. Again, if NR thought wiring the Matlock branch was viable it be would have been included in the MML project.

Not a great deal of freight uses it currently, but as pointed out by a previous poster, gauge improvement is shortly to take place on the route, including singling the line through Meir Tunnel to accomodate containers. I hardly think money would be spent on this if more freight traffic was not on the agenda?

You make a very valid point here but I would only expect the Derby - Stoke line to be wired up if the route from Felixstowe to Syston Junction was also announced. And of course you would also need to do Sheet Stores to Stenson Junction at the same time.

Last edited:

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I think Kneedown was referring to a half-hourly service between Nottingham and Newark (existing Leicester-Lincoln plus Matlock-Newark) not on the Matlock branch. Increasing the present houly frequency at Matlock would require a passing loop somewhere, as the out and back time from Ambergate is about 40 minutes. Matlock now has probably its best service for many years and I would suggest one per hour is about optimum.

A half-hourly service may be a rule of thumb for electrification but Matlock could be an exception. The actual calculation is the cost (depends on miles of electrification) versus the benefit (depends on train-miles that can be converted to electric operation). Electrification between Ambergate and Matlock would allow the whole journey to Nottingham to convert to electric operation.

There have been various topics on here about enhancement of the Lincoln service. Lincoln has always had a pretty poor service for somewhere of its size and with the decline of its traditional industries better transport links become more important. Electrification from Nottingham might facilitate a better service on that route and also more than the token two a day through services from London.

However, probably the most sensible option for Nottingham to Lincoln would be to extend one of the Birmingham trains as an hourly fast. This would still be a DMU until/unless at least Derby to Birmingham was electrified.

Class 170101

Established Member
A half-hourly service may be a rule of thumb for electrification but Matlock could be an exception.

Disagree - Windermere has an hourly service, can't see it going half hourly post electrification.
There have been various topics on here about enhancement of the Lincoln service. Lincoln has always had a pretty poor service for somewhere of its size and with the decline of its traditional industries better transport links become more important. Electrification from Nottingham might facilitate a better service on that route and also more than the token two a day through services from London.
It could happen sooner with Bi-mode IEP of course if the winning franchise bidder has extra Lincoln to London services on their radar rather than the token daily service plus the London to Newark terminators.

However, probably the most sensible option for Nottingham to Lincoln would be to extend one of the Birmingham trains as an hourly fast. This would still be a DMU until/unless at least Derby to Birmingham was electrified.

I would like to see Lincoln on the XC network by extending the Nottingham to Cardiff service to Lincoln. However sadly again no 170s are available unless Scotrail give theirs up post EGIP. Though they want to keep some for Highland Mainline and Inverness to Aberdeen service improvements. The Scottish referendum result may also have a bearing on this too.

As an addendum it would be interesting to see how NR actually wire Newark Flat Crossing.

ac6000cw

Established Member
As an addendum it would be interesting to see how NR actually wire Newark Flat Crossing.

Probably never - I think the crossing will have turned into a grade-separated one before electrification to/from the Nottingham direction is on the agenda. I suspect it's capacity issues at the crossing that is the main reason the upcoming half-hourly service doesn't go through to Lincoln.

How about a west to south curve to allow Nottingham trains to access Newark Northgate, or better, a west to south curved flyover to take the trains over to the east side of the ECML, so that they could reverse at Northgate and continue to Lincoln without conflict (a single track passenger-only flyover would do) ?

jon91

That would only work if they rerouted all the freight that uses the flat crossing. Which would be problematic to say the least...

ac6000cw

Established Member
That would only work if they rerouted all the freight that uses the flat crossing. Which would be problematic to say the least...

I wasn't suggesting removing the crossing (although if few passenger trains were using it, it could probably go to a single east-west track to reduce the maintenance cost).

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Are there not signal box staffing problems on Sundays in the Lincoln area that could cause problems with your proposal ?

At least part of this route is due to be re-siganalled within the year. A few years more, and certainly if it is electrified, it will be controlled from a Regional Operating Centre and the staff cost of evening and Sunday services will be much less of an issue.

Taunton

Established Member
Newark.

I remember going through on the ECML in probably the early 1990s and noticing all the earthworks in progress for a flyover alongside the Nottingham Line at the crossing; thought I had not kept up with current projects. Then it turned out it was for the A46 road. There was money at Dept of Transport for a road bridge but not for a rail bridge.

Sufficiently uncoordinated design that this A46 bridge has snookered some of the possible bridging options for rail, such as an overpass from the Nottingham line into the east of Northgate station.

Emyr

Disagree - Windermere has an hourly service, can't see it going half hourly post electrification.

How long is the Windermere branch?

What distance do Windermere diesel diagrams currently travel under the wires?

pemma

Veteran Member
Oxenholme-Windermere is 10.5 unwired miles.
Preston-Oxenholme under the wires is 40 miles.

Windermere services are currently a mix of services to Oxenholme only, services to Lancaster, services to Preston and the occasional service to Manchester Airport (usually attached to a Blackpool or Barrow service south of Preston.)

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Last edited:

D6975

Established Member
I hope that the Windermere electrification will involve sorting out those pesky level crossings too.

pemma

Veteran Member
Now the Scottish referendum has gone it seems the story about North Sea oil possibly running out in 20 years time turned out to be a load of rubbish and there's actually 3 to 4 times more oil than previously mooted, so the idea about oil running out before new DMUs reach 25 years in service can be dismissed. Obviously greener alternatives are still a good idea but as Network Rail still say some rural routes will never be electrified we'll still need to order trains which can work on non-electrified lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.