• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

No northbound Gerald today

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainophile

Established Member
https://www.journeycheck.com/arrivatrainswales/

17:16 Cardiff Central to Holyhead due 21:45
This train will be terminated at Chester.
This train will no longer call at Flint, Rhyl, Colwyn Bay, Llandudno Junction, Bangor Gwynedd and Holyhead.
Will be formed of 3 coaches instead of 4. First class not available. Catering is reduced An at seat trolley service will be available between Newport and Chester. . Toilets are reduced.
This is due to a shortage of train drivers.

He seems to be running as normal this morning, so must be staying in Cardiff tonight, unless he's running back empty?

Disappointing for anyone who has booked in Business Class to treat themselves :( .

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
It looks as though the loco and coaches are being subbed by a 175. It could be related to a shortage of drivers with traction knowledge, as mentioned in another thread.

trainophile

Established Member
Here's the other thread:-

www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=119417

Train formation changes on Journey Check indicate 175 working down from Holyhead this morning. Re the shortage of drivers LHCS back on Manchester Paupers WAG this morning.

You are so right about the down service - for some reason I didn't check it on the ATW site but looked on RTT, where it showed that 1st Class was available. How confusing.

Thanks for the link both of you :) .

craigybagel

Established Member
A 175/1 did indeed work south this morning, and back north again in the evening.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
You are so right about the down service - for some reason I didn't check it on the ATW site but looked on RTT, where it showed that 1st Class was available. How confusing.
Thanks for the link both of you :) .

Being pedantic, it's Up from Holyhead to Shrewsbury (except the bit between Chester and Saltney Jn after reversal) and Down from Shrewsbury to Cardiff.

RTT only shows the planned service, not what actually turns up.

Last edited:

trainophile

Established Member
Being pedantic, it's Up from Holyhead to Shrewsbury (except the bit between Chester and Saltney Jn after reversal) and Down from Shrewsbury to Cardiff.

Haha, I'll believe you. I'll never get the hang of this :oops: . I know it's always up to London, even if you're coming from Aberdeen!

RTT only shows the planned service, not what actually turns up.

That's interesting. They always seem to get the platforms right and places like Man Picc, whereas sometimes NRE doesn't. I suppose they can't keep on top of everything.

No northbound today and no catering on the 175 that's replaced it.

A lot of hungry and annoyed passengers (myself and other half included)

Thanks.

Just got to Wrexham (going to Liverpool via Chester) amazingly no apology on board, although a catering trolley has materialised, although they've run out of milk and hot drink lids (still serving hot drinks though).

I often stick up for ATW, but they're really pushing my limit today!

Established Member
Seems endemic on ATW today Hoyhead to Lanelli terminated at Shrewsbury due allegedly due to driver shortage, restarted from Cardiff to Llanelli which then forms the Llanelli to Chester service a single car 153!

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Seems endemic on ATW today Hoyhead to Lanelli terminated at Shrewsbury due allegedly due to driver shortage, restarted from Cardiff to Llanelli which then forms the Llanelli to Chester service a single car 153!

Was 3 Cars (? 175/1) from Cardiff on 1645 Llanelli to Chester.

headshot119

Established Member

Wasn't an alleged driver shortage, there was an actual shortage of drivers. The 153 was replaced at Cardiff Central on the return from Llanelli and replaced with something more suitable.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Where have all the drivers gone? Another assortment of cancellations and short starts/terminations today. It is getting silly.

When somebody Tweeted ATW, they said sickness and Annual Leave at the moment. In other words they have relied on RDW but not being worked at the moment due some issue in dispute..
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Northbound Gerald tonight runs via Crewe instead of Wrexham and confirmed by RTT. Info posted on WNXX Forum last night and that it will be worked by a Hippo (Class 175). No info on ATW Journey Check so tweeted and replied that due to Driver shortage. Neither is any info re disruption to catering, if it is the case, on Journey Check either.

Last edited:

craigybagel

Established Member
When somebody Tweeted ATW, they said sickness and Annual Leave at the moment. In other words they have relied on RDW but not being worked at the moment due some issue in dispute..

Northbound Gerald tonight runs via Crewe instead of Wrexham and confirmed by RTT. Info posted on WNXX Forum last night and that it will be worked by a Hippo (Class 175). No info on ATW Journey Check so tweeted and replied that due to Driver shortage. Neither is any info re disruption to catering, if it is the case, on Journey Check either.

175114, so at least it's a 3 car. Presumably they couldn't find any drivers in the Cardiff or Crewe loco links to work it....
I assume the Am's are still enjoying a well earned summer holiday anyway?

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
175114, so at least it's a 3 car. Presumably they couldn't find any drivers in the Cardiff or Crewe loco links to work it....
I assume the Am's are still enjoying a well earned summer holiday anyway?

Cheers/ AMs - Holiday and the bit over and above everybody else :)
Tweeted ATW who replied catering is normal and would ask Control to show on Journey Check. Train on way now and not appeared.

Status
Not open for further replies.