• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

No tickets for journeys

Status
Not open for further replies.

ooo

Inspired by these two posts in the Do rail fares need to be made simpler? thread. I was wondering what direct journeys between pairs of stations people know of for which no tickets of any kind are available.
Train fares are actually pretty simple when you think about it. You can buy tickets to/from any pair of stations in GB and even abroad from certain stations. ?
Actually, you cannot. Try Eccles to Wilmslow for example.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gazthomas

Established Member
Inspired by these two posts in the Do rail fares need to be made simpler? thread. I was wondering what direct journeys between pairs of stations people know of for which no tickets of any kind are available.

Eccles (Manchester) [ECC] to Wilmslow [WML] tickets come up fine online

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Eccles (Manchester) [ECC] to Wilmslow [WML] tickets come up fine online
Are you sure?

What are the fares?

Can you provide a screenshot and hyperlink please?

The only websites I know of that will sell valid fares for this journey are sites that sell a combination of fares for one journey, such as Trainsplit.com

maffi209

Always been a bit baffled as to why National Rail Enquiries gives a £74 Coast and Peaks rover as the fare between Sankey (SNK) and Salford Central (SFD). I assume there is an actual single fare available?

gazthomas

Established Member
Are you sure?

What are the fares?

Can you provide a screenshot and hyperlink please?

The only websites I know of that will sell valid fares for this journey are sites that sell a combination of fares for one journey, such as Trainsplit.com

Apologies - it came up on the National Rail website, giving a rather steep £23 single, but when I clicked through to buy (it chose EMT) it said not available. My bad!

CarltonA

I don't think Ash Vale to North Camp is available and a few other illogical combinations are unlikely as they are on different lines but only a short walk apart.

gazthomas

Established Member
I guess this will be split tickets?

y4m8Bl2QtLftGoDjzo5o3N5Ef_fXhA9e3rUx-XlOn116Z88vq3dUIIzR1qkRkAtNaUgJ1mhQSmdBJUYpPpq_HZgCQ4lqQJZNbBbD4OwHBfxt13c98D7NzhwjpDWhdQZtlBSXod6-UDK0g02rOyhxYG8s-_fiHx6JbvhvZGvjRiogWkEpFbH8p8RmlZanl6HFws64oStXc-o4EfVkCdgIRZhAg

Loco2 appear to be offering a single off-peak ticket for £7.10.

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I guess this will be split tickets?
Yes, that site is offering a combination of fares for this journey.

Can you resize the image to make it a bit smaller please? It is a bit on the large size! Thanks :)

Also, we are committed to ensuring this forum is accessible as possible; we do therefore ask for a text alternative to be provided (I know our blind members very much appreciate this; they are unable to read text embedded in images).

In the case of the screenshot you provided, this is offering an Anytime Day Single (SDS) from Eccles to Manchester, and an Advance Single valid on the specified Northern Rail service only for £4.00.

I would advise against such a combination, when for just a few pence more, walk-up fares are available (Trainsplit offers a combination of Eccles to Cheadle Hulme, followed by Cheadle Hulme to Wilmslow).

sheff1

Established Member
Always been a bit baffled as to why National Rail Enquiries gives a £74 Coast and Peaks rover as the fare between Sankey (SNK) and Salford Central (SFD). I assume there is an actual single fare available?

There are no fares (single or return) priced between those two stations.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Theobalds Grove to Tottenham Hale. On parallel lines but nonetheless a logical journey with one change at Cheshunt.

Fortunately, that one can be done on Oyster now.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
No fares from Stevenage to Theobalds Grove.

londonbridge

Established Member
I don't think Ash Vale to North Camp is available and a few other illogical combinations are unlikely as they are on different lines but only a short walk apart.

Using a local example I can't think of any logical reason why someone would take a train from Wallington to Carshalton, yet there is a fare available.

greatkingrat

Established Member
Using a local example I can't think of any logical reason why someone would take a train from Wallington to Carshalton, yet there is a fare available.

In the case of London all fares are priced zonally, so I would expect every combination of stations to have a fare available.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
In the case of London all fares are priced zonally, so I would expect every combination of stations to have a fare available.
They don't; there are lots on the Lea Valley lines - Rectory Road to Tottenham Hale, to give another example.

pemma

Veteran Member
Neither Northern or brfares come up with any for this journey

You can buy Eccles to Alderley Edge though so it's strange you can't buy a ticket to Wilmslow.

In the reverse direction you can buy Wilmslow to Eccles Metrolink but as with any journey involving Metrolink you can buy from a National Rail station to a Metrolink stop but not vice versa. So tickets like Eccles Metrolink to Wilmslow, Old Trafford Metrolink to Chester or MediaCity Metrolink to Huddersfield can't be sold even if you turn up a railway station booking office

pemma

Veteran Member
I would advise against such a combination, when for just a few pence more, walk-up fares are available (Trainsplit offers a combination of Eccles to Cheadle Hulme, followed by Cheadle Hulme to Wilmslow).

If making a return journey on a weekday after 09:30 I'd advise against that.

Eccles to Cheadle Hulme Off-Peak Return £5.90 - ND restriction
Cheadle Hulme to Wilmslow Off-Peak Return £3.50 - ND restriction

Eccles to Alderley Edge Off-Peak Return £9.40 - B1 restriction

So it's the same price to buy to Alderley Edge and no need to worry about the afternoon peak restriction when making your return journey.

pemma

Veteran Member

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

The way Loco2 works is based more around mainland Europe where typically (in Romance countries) a ticket is needed each time you change and all IC tickets are train specific and all regional ones walk-up. So when it sees that kind of split as the cheapest it has no real reason to ignore it. UK domestic journeys aren't its raison d'etre, so it tends to be a bit clunky when it encounters them.

gnolife

Established Member
In the absence of single/return tickets NR advises you to buy the cheapest ranger/rover ticket valid for your journey so in the case of Eccles to Wilmslow it's this one: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/prbad90d0a040002016445fab7d9d950.aspx

It's not even picking the right ranger! The cheapest is a TfGM Wayfarer at somewhere around the £12-13 region (I forget exactly what they're charging at this point, but it's a damn sight cheaper than a Cheshire Day Ranger!)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It's not even picking the right ranger! The cheapest is a TfGM Wayfarer at somewhere around the £12-13 region (I forget exactly what they're charging at this point, but it's a damn sight cheaper than a Cheshire Day Ranger!)

Wayfarers aren't available for purchase online, being a local (PTE) fare, so aren't in the database.

Clip

Established Member

Well the op didn't specifically state that a combination of fares was not valid

And as we know a combination of fares are perfectly legal for a journey

lyndhurst25

Established Member
In Yorkshire various Hallam Line to Wakefield Line fares don't exist e.g. Chapeltown to Fitzwilliam, Barnsley to South Elmsall.

ooo

From this thread it seems like Northern are one of the worst culprits for missing fares

Deerfold

Veteran Member
If making a return journey on a weekday after 09:30 I'd advise against that.

Eccles to Cheadle Hulme Off-Peak Return £5.90 - ND restriction
Cheadle Hulme to Wilmslow Off-Peak Return £3.50 - ND restriction

Eccles to Alderley Edge Off-Peak Return £9.40 - B1 restriction

So it's the same price to buy to Alderley Edge and no need to worry about the afternoon peak restriction when making your return journey.

Though if you aren't travelling in the afternoon peak a Day Ranger at £6.40 would do nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.