• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

No trains from Runcorn for part of holiday Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.

I've just checked the National Rail Enquiries website to find out whether my normal trains to/from work are running next Monday as I'm aware that it's a holiday and schedules can be different.

However, I have found to my horror, that both of the town's stations, which are on completely separate lines, are being served by replacement buses.

I understand that Network Rail have to carry out maintenance and enhancement work and that holiday weekends have traditionally been seen as the best time to do this, but surely they could have managed it so that one of the two lines were open.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I've just checked the National Rail Enquiries website to find out whether my normal trains to/from work are running next Monday as I'm aware that it's a holiday and schedules can be different.

However, I have found to my horror, that both of the town's stations, which are on completely separate lines, are being served by replacement buses.

I understand that Network Rail have to carry out maintenance and enhancement work and that holiday weekends have traditionally been seen as the best time to do this, but surely they could have managed it so that one of the two lines were open.
From Runcorn, the only destination where the simultaneous blockage of both stations causes additional inconvenience is Chester. Runcorn-Chester doesn't strike me as a massive market; the TfW service from Runcorn (HL) is only 2 hourly anyway at the moment.

Even if postponing the engineering works on one of the lines was feasible from a 'manpower'/technical perspective, they would probably just fall on another, quite possibly less inconvenient, date. Engineering works are extensively coordinated between lines, but there are always going to be some occasions where you can't avoid inconveniencing someone.

In the long run I would expect for more engineering works to start to become midweek, but there is a very long lead time on this sort of planning, so it will take a while to filter through to the ground.

peters

On Moderation
It's only in the morning replacement buses are operating, some services resume around the middle of the day with more by early afternoon:
Runcorn services: https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/se...21-05-31/0200-0159?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt
Runcorn East services: https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/se...21-05-31/0200-0159?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt

Interestingly there are Liverpool to Leeds via Rochdale services instead of Chester to Leeds via Rochdale services while the engineering works are taking place.

Network Rail say

Engineering work is taking place between Crewe and Hartford, closing some lines.

Engineering work is taking place between Manchester Oxford Road / Earlestown and Warrington Central, closing various lines.

That doesn't explain why nothing TfW are running replacement buses between Chester and Liverpool South Parkway, as Chester to Liverpool trains don't go through Earlestown or Hartford.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Don't expect much to change before 2023 as 2022 is pretty much put to bed and even then there will still be a lot of work over bank holidays as it is the only time you can take more than a 54 hour block. Also remember that all the TOC/FOCs are consulted in the proposals and they can quite easily say no, they know their business and customers so will soon say if it doesn't work.

mpb56125

Engineering work Acton Grange Junction area prevents Runcorn East trains. Engineering work Hartford to Crewe affecting Runcorn trains.

I'm sure when VHF timetable was first implemented over 15 years ago. One of the conditions if Virgin at the time wanted to run a full Sunday service for most of the year then Railtrack/Network Rail would be allowed longer possession on Bank Holiday weekends on 2 tracks sections.

Also diversionary routes via Manchester these days for electric traction.

Mark

Last edited:

trainophile

Established Member
Just spotted this thread. I have tickets for Mon 31/5 on the 1304 LNWR from BHM to LIV, passing through Runcorn at 1424. There's no mention on anywhere I've checked that this might involve buses. Is the work planned to end before this time? If it over-runs presumably that can't be helped but if it goes to plan I should be able to get through to LIV on the booked train?

I see the 1204 from BHM is the first direct train shown on Trainsplit.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Just spotted this thread. I have tickets for Mon 31/5 on the 1304 LNWR from BHM to LIV, passing through Runcorn at 1424. There's no mention on anywhere I've checked that this might involve buses. Is the work planned to end before this time? If it over-runs presumably that can't be helped but if it goes to plan I should be able to get through to LIV on the booked train?

I see the 1204 from BHM is the first direct train shown on Trainsplit.
As far as I can see, all work is booked to finish by 1200 Monday.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Thank you, that's good news. Someone upthread mentioned mid-afternoon I think which panicked me a bit.
Work at Acton Grange Jn finishes at 1200, so trains will take a bit to get going (e.g. if they've been trapped in depots over the weekend). Trains from Birmingham will be less affected because A. it's further to go and there's Soho Depot (or the unit has come from London) and B. The work between Crewe and Weaver junction (and therefore the route to Runcorn) actually finishes a bit earlier.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
In the long run I would expect for more engineering works to start to become midweek, but there is a very long lead time on this sort of planning, so it will take a while to filter through to the ground.

I’m not so sure. Weekdays are still going to be busier than weekends on most routes, and all those locos hauling engineering trains at the weekend are hauling containers / biomass / aggregates trains mid week. They can’t do both.

Work at Acton Grange Jn finishes at 1200, so trains will take a bit to get going (e.g. if they've been trapped in depots over the weekend). Trains from Birmingham will be less affected because A. it's further to go and there's Soho Depot (or the unit has come from London) and B. The work between Crewe and Weaver junction (and therefore the route to Runcorn) actually finishes a bit earlier.
Thanks for this.

Not as bad as I first feared then. I might even get the bus as it should only be one way.

Established Member
Garlic Bread Widnes! It's the future!*

*Except if you want to go east of Birchwood, that's shut too.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
What an absolutely ridiculous situation closing both lines, is it any wonder people prefer to drive?

It’s related to work on the WCML; two items of work being done in one closure.

Or would you rather the WCML be closed for two separate weekends?

Status
Not open for further replies.