• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

No trains on the WCML at Weedon today (03/05)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hb06_

I have not seen one train going past today through the West Coast Main Line, near the Rugby to Milton Keynes Central area at Weedon Bec. Is it just me going crazy or is it a network problem? Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PeterY

Established Member
On my short cycle ride today, via Berkhamsted, trains were running From Hemel Hempstead to Euston, with a bus replacement between Hemel and Milton Keynes.
I don't know what work is being carried out though.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Was this planned before the Covid era?
A good use of the reduced traffic impact if not.
I can't remember an extended closure before, not even with WCRM.
I wonder if they'll enable 125mph EPS instead of the current 110mph blanket speed limit (presumably because of pressure waves in the tunnel)?
Some tunnels on the line manage it (Northchurch and Linslade), but not Watford, Stow Hill or Kilsby.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Wasn't there a time (ie in the 1990s) when all WCML services at weekends were given an extra ten minutes in their schedule at the weekend so they could all go via Northampton if necessary?

I wonder if they'll enable 125mph EPS instead of the current 110mph blanket speed limit (presumably because of pressure waves in the tunnel)?
Some tunnels on the line manage it (Northchurch and Linslade), but not Watford, Stow Hill or Kilsby.

It is probably only maintenance, not major works to improve journey times or speeds. There is also work at Bletchley. It is not uncommon for the WCML to basically shut down at bank holidays to allow for engineering work since it is open most other weekends.

fgwrich

Established Member
There is also work taking place on the East - West Flyover in Bletchley today, with a section crossing the WCML removed this morning.

Last edited:

The Planner

Veteran Member
No, it won't be 125mph after. The work is to replace track, sleepers and drainage in the last third at the Weedon end. It has been planned for ages but never been able to get to an agreed slot due to the length of time it needs.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
The quoted poster by suggesting it was ONLY maintenance. It seems my views are unwelcome so I shall say no more.

Yes, 'maintenance' such as this is absolutely essential - I am sorry if I caused offence - I was trying to make the point that it wasn't some sort of major upgrade that would enable higher speeds - instead it is allowing the existing speeds to be maintained and lower speeds to be avoided.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Wasn't there a time (ie in the 1990s) when all WCML services at weekends were given an extra ten minutes in their schedule at the weekend so they could all go via Northampton if necessary?
There still is overnight in the week.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Yes, 'maintenance' such as this is absolutely essential - I am sorry if I caused offence - I was trying to make the point that it wasn't some sort of major upgrade that would enable higher speeds - instead it is allowing the existing speeds to be maintained and lower speeds to be avoided.

No problem. No offence taken at all. I get annoyed with posters here sometimes dismissing important work done by hard working people without a thought. I suspect that is because it isn't sexy or fun. It is boring, dull, hard work done at horrible times and often in horrible weather.

Carlisle

Established Member
It has been planned for ages but never been able to get to an agreed slot due to the length of time it needs.
That sounds slightly concerning given similar thinking allegedly contributed to the Hatfield derailment

Elecman

Established Member
I have not seen one train going past today through the West Coast Main Line, near the Rugby to Milton Keynes Central area at Weedon Bec. Is it just me going crazy or is it a network problem? Thanks.
It’s closed for the next 2 weeks

Hb06_

On my short cycle ride today, via Berkhamsted, trains were running From Hemel Hempstead to Euston, with a bus replacement between Hemel and Milton Keynes.
When attempting to check times, that is what I saw, yes.

On Moderation
No problem. No offence taken at all. I get annoyed with posters here sometimes dismissing important work done by hard working people without a thought. I suspect that is because it isn't sexy or fun. It is boring, dull, hard work done at horrible times and often in horrible weather.
You've just fallen into the clichéd "hard working" mode so beloved of politicians.

On a similar point the use of "essential maintenance" as a phrase - you'd hope they are not doing "non-essential maintenance".

DarloRich

Veteran Member
You've just fallen into the clichéd "hard working" mode so beloved of politicians.

You are quite right. Shameful. That's 7-8 weeks of briefings by lots of politicians ( of all types) does that. Insidious.

On a similar point the use of "essential maintenance" as a phrase - you'd hope they are not doing "non-essential maintenance".

I have done plenty of non essential maintenance on my house this weekend! I make no warranty as to the quality. Sadly the essential work required is without my competency.

The Planner

Veteran Member
That sounds slightly concerning given similar thinking allegedly contributed to the Hatfield derailment
Not really, poor drainage didnt cause Hatfield. This is allowing a substantial amount of work to take place in one go where normaly this sort of access is nigh on impossible to get.

Taunton

Established Member
I agree. I find the hyping up of routine scheduled work into "ESSENTIAL maintenance" to be inappropriate.

backontrack

Established Member
I agree. I find the hyping up of routine scheduled work into "ESSENTIAL maintenance" to be inappropriate.
Perhaps Network Rail need to roll out the big guns, and get someone like Neil Oliver to big it up.

"This is maintenance on an UNPRECEDENTED scale..."

The Chimaera

Stowe Hill tunnel is EPS125 already due to new ventilation (pressure relief) shafts being dug during the last WC upgrade, unfortunately due to its proximity to the 100 EPS110/120 curves at Weedon its effectiveness is somewhat limited on the up road. Kilsby tunnel could be upped to 125 we were told but only by capping the very large (60ft diameter?) ventilation shafts situated at 1/3 and 2/3 distance, as their presence upsets the pressure waves. Watford tunnel is EPS115 on the down but only 110 on the up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Although it is going rather off-thread, at least for somewhere remote from a station and on a high speed line (such as via Kilsby and Weedon) I do remember this turn of phrase even back into BR days.
There was an era of 'job creation', Manpower Services Commission, Youth Training Scheme, NSE 'Operation Pride', etc. jobs, often justified on 'environmental' grounds that did see people out and about in hi-vis. This did not usually involve possessions or materially affect services but did see a bit of 'push-back' from 'proper engineers' who were keen to distinguish their efforts as 'essential', rather than optional.

Nippy

One of the worksites was at Tring where the old station footbridge was being removed on Sunday.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member

At least it's better than the industrial PR which accompanied station posters during the 1960s WCML electrification - "GETTING ON WITH THE JOB".

But nothing has ever been as good as 1974's "The Electric Scots Are Coming" teaser.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

There were plenty of extended closures for WCRM. All lines for a week in August(s), at least twice, somewhere south of Rugby.

It won’t be 125, partly because of the air pressure issue, and partly because Kilsby has very difficult geology (seams of running sand) and keeping the track fit for 125mph would be a significant challenge.

It’s not so long ago that midweek daytime trains had extra time in the schedules for a slow line weave to allow for maintenance on the fasts. Unthinkable now.

Stowe Hill tunnel is EPS125 already due to new ventilation (pressure relief) shafts being dug during the last WC upgrade, unfortunately due to its proximity to the 100 EPS110/120 curves at Weedon its effectiveness is somewhat limited on the up road. Kilsby tunnel could be upped to 125 we were told but only by capping the very large (60ft diameter?) ventilation shafts situated at 1/3 and 2/3 distance, as their presence upsets the pressure waves. Watford tunnel is EPS115 on the down but only 110 on the up.

Re the other tunnels, the Pendolinos are pressure sealed, so can operate at the higher speeds without passenger comfort issues. The pressure relief shafts were there to limit the impact of a Pendolino passing other types of train in the tunnels, most notably curtain sided swap bodies (eg the Tesco train) where the vehicles could have been damaged. Specific tunnels:

Linslade is sufficiently short that it didn’t need pressure relief shafts (and the down fast is single bore so wouldn’t need them anyway)

Northchurch: the early feasibility used some old maps, only later was it realised that a new housing estate had been built on the land above the tunnel. The top of the shaft can be seen clearly on google maps.

Stowe Hill: already had plenty of ventilation shafts, but not quite good enough aerodynamically; IIRC additional audits were mined between the tunnel side walls and the existing shafts.

Silverlinky

There was a bank slip in the Kilsby area a few months ago and work is being down to address the issues that this caused too.

Status
Not open for further replies.