• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

NO VOTE on Terror Laws 90 Days

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Currently watching BBC Parliament.. it's so exciting.
Just heard that the members said NO to holding Terror suspects for 90 days, a vote on 28 days is up in the next 20 mins :D
No news story on BBC news site just yet, though it's in the latest news bit.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It's on the BBC news site now: -
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4422086.stm

London Tube said:
Why is 90 days a bad thing?

Well there have been concerns over the likelyhood this power could be abused, any person could be "in the wrong place at the wrong time" and put away for three months. I was involved in a big debate over this in Politics today, the Judges were saying that it's against the Human Rights Act and would not uphold the law. There are various for and against arguments, but the against seemed to be strongest IMO.

TBH, nine, ninety or nine hundred days will not stop terrorism.

Oh yea, they voted yes for 28 days.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
London Tube said:
At the moment they can say "I think you are a terrorist, you're staying locked up for 14 days without trial". Think that's bad? Well it could be 90 days if Blair wants to have his way.

14 days is plenty.

If they have something on them, then why not go ahead and put it to trial? You cannot hold people without trying them in a civilised society.

Thank goodness they lost the vote!

And before you say 'but they won't call me a terrorist', err yes they can, it can happen to ANYONE.

TheSlash

Established Member
yorkie said:
London Tube said:

And before you say 'but they won't call me a terrorist', err yes they can, it can happen to ANYONE.
My mate got accussed of being a terrorist under the 9/11 act on a cross channel ferry 8)

Tom B

Established Member
Locking people up without charge is doing the terrorists work for them. They want to make our society like theirs - and they are getting full support from Bliar.

I saw the Sun's headline - sickening.

OTS

London Tube said:

It's not, but the Tories don't give a **** about the UK or its people, least of all their own constituents (as they've shown many times before). Will be interesting to see them trying to defend their actions when we all get blown up again! :roll: :roll:

Tom B

Established Member
OTS said:
London Tube said:

It's not, but the Tories don't give a **** about the UK or its people, least of all their own constituents (as they've shown many times before). Will be interesting to see them trying to defend their actions when we all get blown up again! :roll: :roll:

Locking people up because they look foreign / are taking photos at a station / someone's having a bad day would of course impact on national security, wouldn't it?

Guinness

Established Member
28 days is just about as far as you can get. MPs do have some brains after all!

90 Days is complete Bull just like Blair IMHO. <D

metrocammel

OTS said:
London Tube said:

Where do the tories come into this????

Status
Not open for further replies.