• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

No Waiting vs Loading

Status
Not open for further replies.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Random question for which I figured the Universal expertise of railforums was the best place to go :)

If you have double yellow lines in a road, enforcing a 'no waiting' restriction - can you still stop to load/unload stuff? Some Googling suggests that you are allowed to stop briefly to do things like pick up passengers, but I couldn't find anything specific about loading.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If you have double yellow lines in a road, enforcing a 'no waiting' restriction - can you still stop to load/unload stuff? Some Googling suggests that you are allowed to stop briefly to do things like pick up passengers, but I couldn't find anything specific about loading.
Yes, a loading restriction would be accompanied by 'blips' on the kerb, two indicating no loading at any time and one indicating no loading at the times specified.

https://www.glasgow.gov.uk/media/image/r/i/Loading_Restrictions.jpg for a graphic of what these means.

The time you are allowed to spend whilst loading varies by council, although it is usually quite generous such as 20/40 Minutes. I don't think it is defined anywhere what it means, but this is usually why a Civil Enforcement Officer will wait 5 Minutes before issuing a Penalty Charge Notice on yellow line(s) without a loading restriction.

Note that this assumes you are not in a Controlled Parking Zone, as the loading restrictions might be on the sign at the entrance to the zone.

Last edited:

tony_mac

Established Member
There is no set time limit for loading / unloading, but the activity must be necessary and continuous.
https://www.londontribunals.gov.uk/sites/default/files/keycases/LOADADJ.pdf
They usually wait 5 minutes as you could be, for example, carrying a heavy item upstairs, or waiting for a signature.
Boarding and alighting is usually allowed even where loading is restricted, but not on things like red routes and bus stops.

AM9

Veteran Member
Random question for which I figured the Universal expertise of railforums was the best place to go :)

The highway code says that double lines in the road indicate no waiting at any time unless there is a notice that gives specific relaxations, (usually seasonal). That is why corners and the road near hazardous locations such as junctions and narrow stretches of road have this blanket ban. All too often drivers ignore this restriction and unfortunately, those who are responsible for policing parking restrictions, frequently not fulfiling their duty.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I’d also suggest that the loading/unloading must normally be in connection with premises in the near vicinity, you can’t really park and walk somewhere completely different even if you are carrying something...

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I have to drop tools and paint off in Exeter city centre at times and I’ve always been told by the local wardens that I have ten minutes to unload if I’m double parked and there’s no “No Loading” signs.

AM9

Veteran Member
Right in the centre of St Albans, there is a pub at a crossroads that every Thursday morning, has a delivery of barrels. To do this a truck parks right on the crossroads which are controlled by traffic lights, blocking the road for up to 20 minutes. Several bus routes pass through this junction and there isn't much chance of one passing the truck if there is anything waiting at the lights, so congestion is regularly spread right through the centre of the city. The road has continuous double yellow lines and the notices allow loading between 09:30 and 16:30. I appreciate that a pub needs deliveries, but for such disruptive obstruction to be allowed on a regular basis is really unacceptable.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I have double yellow lines outside my home of thirty years: a little further down is a disabled parking bay, approx seven spaces, which other road users can use in the evening and on Sundays (but not Bank Holidays, cue £25 fine!). Here, the council says they will allow five minutes on double yellows for loading/unloading and 'may allow' a further ten minutes if there is 'evidence' of such activity.

AndrewE

Established Member
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/road-markings

"Waiting restrictions indicated by yellow lines apply to the carriageway, pavement and verge. You may stop to load or unload (unless there are also loading restrictions as described below) or while passengers board or alight. "
That link https://assets.publishing.service.g...035900001a/the-highway-code-road-markings.pdf is well worth looking at. I am surprised that anyone asked the original question, given that it was part of the driving test 50 years ago!
However I do recognise that more people are now not learning to drive, but even the cycling proficiency course handed out a copy of the Highway Code.
In fact the markings have changed since my training, thanks for the link!... there used to be one more dash on the kerb than there were yellow lines! The basic rule still applies though: read the restrictions posted on the plate nearby.

Status
Not open for further replies.