• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Noddy's Trip Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

noddy1878

Established Member
9th/10th January

My first trip of the year to London started on the Up Sleeper from Plymouth with 57604 in charge. Having lost its crown in 2017 as my most travelled behind loco (or unit for that matter!) is this year going to be it’s fight back? Just another 1000 odd miles required to retake the lead! At Newton Abbot Pete (and and his mate Mark) boarded and once at Exeter Dave boarded. It had been September since I last saw Dave and can’t even remember when Pete was also out, so lots to catch up on. I think we got to Bristol when it was decided it would be a good idea to try and get our heads down!

We arrived into Paddington on time but because Dave was using his ticket to get Pete and Mark to Heathrow we hung about for a while until the a relevant and valid train became available. We missed one by not paying attention to the timetable properly! This was partly cos me and Dave were looking at the 387 moves that could be done now these were out in force!

So first up was a pair of winners, 387151 and 387144 to Southall. Then a short wait for another pair of winners, 387166 and 387142 to Hayes & Harlington! I like this game! Next was the known dud of a 360. 360203 arrived and off to Heathrow we went. For me it meant scoring the track into T5 platform 3

After dropping the other two at Heathrow me and Dave set about heading back into London. The idea was to head SWR land at some point to start attempting to go for the 707s of which neither of us had been on any. First it was the eternal trip on the Piccadilly line to Acton town on 101/242. We changed here as its the point where the two branches meet and the frequency of trains obviously goes up. 118/241 were behind and we took this to Hammersmith. From here we decided to head back towards Richmond.

We jumped on 21388/21387 to Ravenscourt as it was an Ealing train. Behind that was 21395/21396 which is what we needed. When we arrived at Richmond seconds later we were on 21345/21346! Unbelievably it was required for both of us! At Kew Gardens we bailed and it was back 21518/21517 to Richmond. Now we would have a play on SWR! The idea was 707s but should anything else either of us require roll in we would get that too!

Double duds for me (and absolutely wedged although nothing compared to what I experienced a week later!) 450109 and 450565 took us onto Clapham Junction. Next up was 456024, 5735 and 5742. The 455s were of no interest to me but the 456 was. Nice to see these running together now as 10 cars. This was taken to Wandsworth Town. Finally we would experience our first 707!

707015 and 707003 took us onto Putney. It wasn’t long before we were not on a 707 again though! :D Dave needed at least one of 450021 or 450551 which we had back to Clapham. 707028 and 707014 were then had to Wandsworth for a 456/455/455 combo back where the choices would have been better. A similar move involved 707012 and 707027 and another 456/455/455 combo back. The next move saw us be daring and go one stop further! :lol: 707010 and 707002 to Putney for a pair of 450s back to Clapham.

We now decided breakfast was very much required. We decided that we would head to Greenwich so 159013, 159017 and 159022 took us into Waterloo. It was then a short walk up to Waterloo East for 466035, 466011 and 465004 took us to London Bridge. London Bridge had just been opened fully and wow! What a difference to the old station! Just the final two platforms to bring Thameslink into use for through trains once more and its complete! Scheduled for May I believe. We did see a test train running through the station though but will be great to be able to finally go north/south without the suburban crawl!

465239, 465178 and 466007 took us onto Greenwich. I won’t list the units as I cleared them lats year, but we used the DLR to Cutty Sark and we went and got breakfast. A large Spoons breakfast did just the trick and was washed down with a pint (yes it was breakfast but was also 1130!). We also decided whilst we were here we would visit another couple of pubs to score the cask marque certificates.

It was then back on to the DLR and onto Greenwich for 376015. We took this to Deptford Bridge. The plan was to quickly nip to a nearby cask marque pub (but it wasn’t open) so we got the train behind (we would have had time anyway) which was 465166 and 465012. This was had to London Bridge where we would spend the next couple of hours. Most of these moves were done together which proved unproductive for me. I think we split for the last few before joining up again. Here are the moves that we did

465197, 165154 London Bridge - Waterloo East
465040, 465192 Waterloo East - London Bridge
465044, 465009 London Bridge - Waterloo East
465033, 465038 Waterloo East - Charing Cross
466012, 466003, 465921 Charing Cross - London Bridge
376014, 376027 London Bridge - Cannon Street
376031 Cannon Street - London Bridge
465194, 465021 London Bridge - Waterloo East
465176, 465247, 466030 Waterloo East - London Bridge
465036, 466024, 466017 London Bridge - Waterloo East
465193, 465905 Waterloo East - Charing Cross
375612, 375627 Charing Cross - Waterloo East

The move that scored me the two 376s was a bonus. I had seen 376031 earlier and worked out when I could get it. I hadn’t expected to score 376014 in the process. Only need one more 376 now. After this we wanted to head back to Paddington for 387s! So it was down to the Jubilee where we bus stopped our way north. The only move of note was the first one where I scored 96028 (paired with 96023). The rest were all dud. We changed at Baker Street for the Bakerloo and than it was up to the main station.

We jumped onto 387133 and 387169 to Ealing Broadway. Six minutes later 387165 and 387159 arrived and we took this to Southall. As a fill in move 360205 took us back to Ealing Broadway before we had 387162 and 387167 forwards to West Drayton. It had by now got dark and the temperature had dropped. I was glad when 387161 and 387137 turned up and it was onwards to Slough. Twenty mins here and 387134 and 387164 were had to Maidenhead. Next up was the step change that I never thought I’d see on the Great Western. The 387s in my eyes have been brilliant for the GWR. They’re great trains and the capacity improvements is immense but seeing a 12 car commuter train was quite something! 387155, 387171 and 387148 arrived and we took this onto Reading. It was a busy train too! It splits at Reading and the front part continues to Didcot.

From here we headed back to London picking up Pete and Mark at Hayes. 387158 was doing the honours and it was a quick turnaround for 387173 and 387163 back to Reading. From here 43177 and 43168 took us home! What a great first 2018 trip to London! I scored 40 winning trains and it wasn’t long before I’d be returning!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Wow that was a major clearout on the 387s! Nice work getting started on the 707s too, I've got 4 of them in my book and will probably aim to get some more next time I'm there. Knowing me I won't though, I never stick to a plan in London!

Great read as always too!

noddy1878

Established Member
18th January
No over night move for this trip. I was up at 0430 and ready to be out the house by 0510 for the trek to the station. It was chucking it down though so I drove. I sorted out the parking fee and went and got my ticket for Exeter where I’d meet my mate. I boarded the train but we were soon told that there was a problem with the rear power car that would not start. After 20 minutes the fitter had no luck so we were all asked to move to another HST in an adjacent platform. 43168 and 43177, the two power cars that provided the traction on my trip back from London the week before, were soon off but we were 23 down. We’d made a bit of time once we got to Exeter (all lost by the time we got to London along with more some!) and my mate got on. Armed with a bit of gen, plans were made for the day and as it turned out we would spend a large majority of it apart.

Once at Paddington my mate headed off to Waterloo whilst I made my way to Marylebone. Off peak had kicked in and I got my travel card and some additional tickets that I would need for the rest of the day. My first train of the day out of London would be 165003. I took this to Haddenham & Thame Parkway. This was not the planned unit, It was two car and not the planned four. I stuck to my plan though. A tea was grabbed whilst I waited for the return train south. 165009 was my next rid for the short distance to High Wycombe. From here a short wait until for double winning 168322 and 168321 was had all the way back to Marylebone.

I had a bit of time (well enough) to go and get burger from the nearby McDonalds using the voucher out of a metro before 165034 took me to Harrow on the Hill. Now I needed to start making my way to Waterloo to meet my mate. I’m not going to list my moves on the tube (just see link below if you’re interested) but I took a Met set to Finchley Road for the Jubilee to Waterloo. I had about an hour once at Waterloo to wait on the Jubilee line to see if anything I needed turned up. It proved to be productive, scoring five required units.

Upstairs I had a message from my mate to his whereabouts and I spotted a move that I could make and still meet him ok. 707001 with 707010 took me out to Vauxhall and 707009 bought me back. I then boarded 707015 and 707023 and found my mate waiting. We took this to Vauxhall and waited for the pair of 707s behind, 707012 and 707008 and took this to Clapham Junction. From here another pair of 707s (707029 and 707027) took us onto Earlsfield. From here I decided to head to Chiltern land once more and have another crack at unit clearing there. a Dud 455/456 combo too us to Clapham where my mate went one way and I waited for the next unit behind. Good move as it was another 455/456 but contained 456019 in the combo!

Once at Waterloo I made my way to the Bakerloo and headed once more to Marylebone. A couple of moves to Harrow on the Hill and back scored me 165036, 165008 and 165019. My second trip out was a 2 vice 4 unit and was absolutely wedged! I made the wrong decision to seat near the door and should have just stood in the door area. Anyway, as we neared Harrow I started to make my way to the door which was bloody hard work! All this for a unit I needed! A women asked me if I was going to sit down! I sarcastically replied that “I wouldn’t be because I was trying to get off the train!” She saw me get out of the seat! What did she think I was getting up for?

As I got off and waited for the train back to Marylebone I think one person got on, in my place! Everyone else was left on the platform!

Once these moves were complete 165028 and 165024 took me to High Wycombe. Behind this was 168110 and 168111 which was heading to Oxford. I bailed at Bicester Village and set off to the Spoons where I would meet my mate who had by now headed out this way.

We had dinner and then it was to Bicester North for the trip back to London on 168106 and 168322 before we wondered to Paddington for the sleeper home. 57603 led us to Reading by which time I was asleep. I briefly woke up and there was something going on. It turned out that 57604 (dragged the ECS to Paddington) and I assume been dragged back to Reading with the train, was now being put on the front of the train. So it was 57604 that took us on from here. We were heading down the B&H but then routed via Hawkeridge Junction and onto Bristol. We got held for ages at Hawkeridge Junction. All in all we got to Plymouth 64L. Now I was glad I had driven to the station the day before. I was home in 10 minutes.

Twenty new units for the day and a good dent in the awkward Chiltern ones. My next trip out would see some shack attacking because as of yet I haven’t done much on that front in 2018! But I had at this stage hit 65 winners already!

All my exact moves are here http://noddy1878.railmiles.me/journeys/?range=20180118-20180119

Last edited:

Keith Jarrett

Another good trip there with plenty of red pen action. Where abouts is the spoons in Bicester - might prove useful on a Chiltern bash that is in the embryonic stages of planning. And presumably you will get a nice bit of delay repay for the beds being 64L into Plymouth?

Kite159

Veteran Member
Another productive day in London there, good news on clearing some more of the Chiltern Turbos (even with a wedged-out service).

BTW on your London day earlier in the month, when you were on the DLR, did you happen to spot 39 floating around?

noddy1878

Established Member
Another good trip there with plenty of red pen action. Where abouts is the spoons in Bicester - might prove useful on a Chiltern bash that is in the embryonic stages of planning. And presumably you will get a nice bit of delay repay for the beds being 64L into Plymouth?

Thanks! It's literally between the two stations on the high street. Turn left out of Bicester Village station and keep going straight. When the main road turns left keep heading onto the pedestrianised bit and its on your right. If coming from Bicester North turn left from road off station and keep going straight until the pedestrianised section. It's naturally on your left!

No delay repay! I was on a friends and family ticket with courtesy of my mate working for GWR.

Another productive day in London there, good news on clearing some more of the Chiltern Turbos (even with a wedged-out service).

BTW on your London day earlier in the month, when you were on the DLR, did you happen to spot 39 floating around?

No. No sign of it but I didn't spend much time on the DLR that day.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
One heck of a clearout there, and I need at least 1 maybe 2 of those 168s you had! Ouch to the wedged out 165s though, can't have been fun at all!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I’m having a trip report catch up this evening. Really interesting to read about London Bridge and the way it’s all changed.
Great reports Noddy.

noddy1878

Established Member
Hi Guys! Not really been on the forums very much this year. With work being mental and my love of craft beer growing (not helped by an awesome bottle shop opening round the corner from me!) I just don't seem to have time for much posting much on here. Thought I'd give a half year (okay we've passed that point but who cares!) update!

23/01/18
So after my Chiltern trip, another day was spent in London with a GWR Jan sale advance, where 14 winners were picked up along with 11 new shacks.

08/02/18
My next major day away was also with a Sale Advance ticket but this time as far as Reading where I would be concentrating on shacks with an Oxfordshire Day Ranger. I picked up 4 winners and 10 new shacks.

13/02/18

Another GWR sale Advance saw me head once more to London for two shacks out towards Aylesbury (Wendover and Great Missenden) before spending sometime on the tube to lower my requirements there. 27 winners and 2 shacks were scored.

16/02/18 - 20/02/18
Next up was a multi day trip to the North East. Setting out on the sleeper on the with two friends (they’d be travelling with me as far as Hull), 57603 took us to London before a quick double scratch of 387168 and 153 to Ealing Broadway before we made our way to Kings Cross for the train to Hull. From here (after breakfast) me and my two mates separated and I meandered my way North to Newcastle before heading to Chathill and back. During the course of the day no winning trains were had but I did scratch 7 new shacks.

The next would see me start out on the Metro for a bit to clear the shacks on the South Shields branch before heading to the Hadrian’s Wall line. After too-ing and fro-ing here for a while I headed back to Newcastle and then south to Darlington to head to my final shack on the line to Saltburn, which was South Bank. A visit to the chippy before the train(s) back to Newcastle saw the day end with, 3 winners (metro units) and 12 new shacks.

The next day was an early start and again I started out on the metro. It was now time to clear the bulk of the route and most of the remaining shacks between Long Benton and Whitley bay. Having done that all I need now is the tiny but between St. James and Monument (that WILL be done next month!). Back with the big trains, Chester-le-Street, Heighington, Newton Aycliffe and Yarm were visited to knock them on the head. Then further south I went to York before a trip to Malton and back (winner 185 back to York was a bonus). Onto Leeds and upon spotting a winning 150 I headed out to Woodlesford and back before some Gen came though about my final 144! Off to Sheffield I went then before an out and back trip to Shireoaks before returning to Leeds for my hotel. 11 winners and 20 new shacks for the day.

My final day would see a lot of shack scratching, mainly on the Harrogate line. After this I headed to York to get my train back south to London before heading west to Plymouth. One winner for the day and 8 new shacks.

01/03/18
A disaster trip! To cut a long story short I should never have travelled! The Beast from the East was upon us and I asked GWR if I should travel. They said yes! I did and it all went wrong! Got as far as Newbury and came home! A long drawn out saga thereafter occurred but I did get my money back in a roundabout way!

06/03/18
My final GWR sale ticket! A trip to London which was spent unit scratching and shack scratching. The shack scratching took a back burner at first because I was falling on required units left, right and centre! In fact I scored eight units in a row meaning I was way out of position for where I was heading! I was heading to Waterloo but ended up at London Bridge! Anyway I did get to where I wanted and also had a session on the tube. 23 winners and 3 shacks scored!

09/03/18 - 14/03/18
Another multi-day trip, this time with my old man who kindly pays for all the rail fares and hotels. This year would see us in the North West and would have me hunting my last few units required up there and shack scratching. We set out on the sleeper on the Friday night, 57604 being in charge, before we set off from Euston to Lancaster. Our first day would see us on the Cumbrian Coast shack scratching. A quite successful day saw both the 37s out and about had along with various units. Our day ended at Preston ready for a ‘Sunday only’ train the next day. No winners but 7 new shacks.

Said train would run from Preston to Helifield. The rest of the day was spent scratching shacks. We would end the day getting caught up in the Turkish protests at Piccadilly. We get held at Preston for hours (we did something else) but the result was my final Northern 156 falling with a trip to Manchester. The evening was spent metro link shack scratching. In total 14 new shacks for the day and 6 new trams.

An early-ish start the next day (well before the FONW kicks in anyway so singles were bought) saw us head to Lancaster as it was day on of the 68 diagram on the Cumbrian Coast! We had 68018 to Preston and 68017 back to Lancaster! A few shack scratching moves saw a few units drop from my requirements list before an amazing move whilst at Piccadilly. A required 185 was spotted so this was had to Stalybridge. The next train back to Manchester was a pair and quite unbelievable was my penultimate one for haulage! I’ll have that thank you! As with the previous days Tram shack scratching in the evening finished the day nicely. 10 winners and 10 shacks.

The final full day would see us head to Liverpool. I needed to find my final 508s as their days are numbered. The first one fell quite quickly (along with some shacks) but the second was a bugger! We found it at Southport! I few RTT workings out later revealed that two of the three units there should fall into service later! I hate waiting about so we took an return to Burscough Bridge for the shack to discover my required 508 had moved so I knew it was out! Result! Missing it was a nervous time though! I tracked down what I thought it was on and it eventually fell! Thats the merseyside fleet done and dusted for now! It was now time to head to Scotland! Yes we were gonna end our trip from there on the Cally Sleeper. Whilst there I checked what trams were out that I needed and scratched 4 more. The best bit was our train to Carstairs though! 47749 ‘City of Truro’. Required and named after the City where I was born!

20180313-Edinburgh Waverley-47749 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

That’s for ‘47703’.

We arrived into London to find dud 92043 on the front. Ah well! 47749 made up for it! (8 winners and 7 new shacks for the day before by the way!) Today we would hunt out units before heading home. In the end I scratched 18 winners.

A great trip with my Dad and I know he had an immense amount of winners but the figure escapes me!

That’s it for the update so far! I’ll try and add the rest tomorrow (it’s less intense from now on!)

Established Member
Hi Guys! Not really been on the forums very much this year. With work being mental and my love of craft beer growing (not helped by an awesome bottle shop opening round the corner from me!) I just don't seem to have time for much posting much on here. Thought I'd give a half year (okay we've passed that point but who cares!) update!

23/01/18
So after my Chiltern trip, another day was spent in London with a GWR Jan sale advance, where 14 winners were picked up along with 11 new shacks.

08/02/18
My next major day away was also with a Sale Advance ticket but this time as far as Reading where I would be concentrating on shacks with an Oxfordshire Day Ranger. I picked up 4 winners and 10 new shacks.

13/02/18

Another GWR sale Advance saw me head once more to London for two shacks out towards Aylesbury (Wendover and Great Missenden) before spending sometime on the tube to lower my requirements there. 27 winners and 2 shacks were scored.

16/02/18 - 20/02/18
Next up was a multi day trip to the North East. Setting out on the sleeper on the with two friends (they’d be travelling with me as far as Hull), 57603 took us to London before a quick double scratch of 387168 and 153 to Ealing Broadway before we made our way to Kings Cross for the train to Hull. From here (after breakfast) me and my two mates separated and I meandered my way North to Newcastle before heading to Chathill and back. During the course of the day no winning trains were had but I did scratch 7 new shacks.

The next would see me start out on the Metro for a bit to clear the shacks on the South Shields branch before heading to the Hadrian’s Wall line. After too-ing and fro-ing here for a while I headed back to Newcastle and then south to Darlington to head to my final shack on the line to Saltburn, which was South Bank. A visit to the chippy before the train(s) back to Newcastle saw the day end with, 3 winners (metro units) and 12 new shacks.

The next day was an early start and again I started out on the metro. It was now time to clear the bulk of the route and most of the remaining shacks between Long Benton and Whitley bay. Having done that all I need now is the tiny but between St. James and Monument (that WILL be done next month!). Back with the big trains, Chester-le-Street, Heighington, Newton Aycliffe and Yarm were visited to knock them on the head. Then further south I went to York before a trip to Malton and back (winner 185 back to York was a bonus). Onto Leeds and upon spotting a winning 150 I headed out to Woodlesford and back before some Gen came though about my final 144! Off to Sheffield I went then before an out and back trip to Shireoaks before returning to Leeds for my hotel. 11 winners and 20 new shacks for the day.

My final day would see a lot of shack scratching, mainly on the Harrogate line. After this I headed to York to get my train back south to London before heading west to Plymouth. One winner for the day and 8 new shacks.

01/03/18
A disaster trip! To cut a long story short I should never have travelled! The Beast from the East was upon us and I asked GWR if I should travel. They said yes! I did and it all went wrong! Got as far as Newbury and came home! A long drawn out saga thereafter occurred but I did get my money back in a roundabout way!

06/03/18
My final GWR sale ticket! A trip to London which was spent unit scratching and shack scratching. The shack scratching took a back burner at first because I was falling on required units left, right and centre! In fact I scored eight units in a row meaning I was way out of position for where I was heading! I was heading to Waterloo but ended up at London Bridge! Anyway I did get to where I wanted and also had a session on the tube. 23 winners and 3 shacks scored!

09/03/18 - 14/03/18
Another multi-day trip, this time with my old man who kindly pays for all the rail fares and hotels. This year would see us in the North West and would have me hunting my last few units required up there and shack scratching. We set out on the sleeper on the Friday night, 57604 being in charge, before we set off from Euston to Lancaster. Our first day would see us on the Cumbrian Coast shack scratching. A quite successful day saw both the 37s out and about had along with various units. Our day ended at Preston ready for a ‘Sunday only’ train the next day. No winners but 7 new shacks.

Said train would run from Preston to Helifield. The rest of the day was spent scratching shacks. We would end the day getting caught up in the Turkish protests at Piccadilly. We get held at Preston for hours (we did something else) but the result was my final Northern 156 falling with a trip to Manchester. The evening was spent metro link shack scratching. In total 14 new shacks for the day and 6 new trams.

An early-ish start the next day (well before the FONW kicks in anyway so singles were bought) saw us head to Lancaster as it was day on of the 68 diagram on the Cumbrian Coast! We had 68018 to Preston and 68017 back to Lancaster! A few shack scratching moves saw a few units drop from my requirements list before an amazing move whilst at Piccadilly. A required 185 was spotted so this was had to Stalybridge. The next train back to Manchester was a pair and quite unbelievable was my penultimate one for haulage! I’ll have that thank you! As with the previous days Tram shack scratching in the evening finished the day nicely. 10 winners and 10 shacks.

The final full day would see us head to Liverpool. I needed to find my final 508s as their days are numbered. The first one fell quite quickly (along with some shacks) but the second was a bugger! We found it at Southport! I few RTT workings out later revealed that two of the three units there should fall into service later! I hate waiting about so we took an return to Burscough Bridge for the shack to discover my required 508 had moved so I knew it was out! Result! Missing it was a nervous time though! I tracked down what I thought it was on and it eventually fell! Thats the merseyside fleet done and dusted for now! It was now time to head to Scotland! Yes we were gonna end our trip from there on the Cally Sleeper. Whilst there I checked what trams were out that I needed and scratched 4 more. The best bit was our train to Carstairs though! 47749 ‘City of Truro’. Required and named after the City where I was born!

20180313-Edinburgh Waverley-47749 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

That’s for ‘47703’.

We arrived into London to find dud 92043 on the front. Ah well! 47749 made up for it! (8 winners and 7 new shacks for the day before by the way!) Today we would hunt out units before heading home. In the end I scratched 18 winners.

A great trip with my Dad and I know he had an immense amount of winners but the figure escapes me!

That’s it for the update so far! I’ll try and add the rest tomorrow (it’s less intense from now on!)
Brief and to the point Noddy, done well there, especially landing on 47749. Jammy sod;). Had it plates removed and stuck on a grid now, as 47749 and 47739 look like there going back to Blue, if they resemble 47727, they'll look even more stunning. Nice pic of it too by the way.
Congrats on clearing Mersey Rail too.

noddy1878

Established Member
Brief and to the point Noddy, done well there, especially landing on 47749. Jammy sod;). Had it plates removed and stuck on a grid now, as 47749 and 47739 look like there going back to Blue, if they resemble 47727, they'll look even more stunning. Nice pic of it too by the way.
Congrats on clearing Mersey Rail too.

Thanks. I'm hoping 47727 is going to play a part in the up and coming GBRF tour.

noddy1878

Established Member
Here goes for some more of the update!

18/03/18
Nothing special here, just funny (looking back at it now!). I went to Bristol for the day purely to meet up with a mate! Many superb beers later I was on the train home. I woke up in Plymouth! What was wrong with that? We’d already left Plymouth station and were heading into the suburbs of Devonport! An angry wife (who was picking me up) on the phone insisted (angrily!) she’d drive to Liskard to pick me up. I had offered to make my own way home (would have been an hour and half wait in the snow as the ‘Mini’ Beast from the east was upon us!) but she didn’t want leave me in the bitter cold! I do love her!!!!

22/03/18
A day trip to London. Units and tube scratching. 20 winners had.

07/04/18
Horrible circumstances saw this trip happen. A good friend of mine suddenly lost his partner and was in need of company (and no doubt something to distract his mind of his sudden lost!). It was an odd day, I scored 8 winners but the day was spent talking and thinking about Lesley! She shall be missed an awful lot…..

12/04/18
A trip to London once more with same friend as previous trip. 16 winners this time.

12/05/18
Into May now and a weekend away to the in-laws saw the (at last) Heritage Shunters Trust gala fall on my weekend off work! What a great little gala! I scored 9 winners (7 shunters, a peak and a kettle) plus the Peak rail line with two shacks on it. The evening ended in fine style with my bro in law as we drunk in my favourite places in Derby, The Alexander and Suds & Soda!

20180512-Heritage Shunters Trust Gala by Steven Booth, on Flickr

16/05/18 - 17/05/18
It was time for the Severn Valley Railway Gala and I made the most of it! I Took an extra day off work to shack scratch in and around Brum (I ventured into Wales too if you call that in and around!). For the gala itself it was brilliant, even if it was only 4 winners! I had scored 14 new shacks the day before.

20180517-SVR Diesel Gala by Steven Booth, on Flickr

20180517-SVR Diesel Gala by Steven Booth, on Flickr

14/06/18
First trip in nearly a month saw me and Dave head to Manc! I needed to finish off the 142s and 150s (although the 142s are more important at the moment, borrowed time and all that!). A good day! It saw two more 142s fall and two 150s! A 158 and a load of tram shacks on the Airport fell too! 9 winners in all and 13 shacks.

19/06/18
A day on the NET. Dave had not done any of it before so all was new to him. By the end of it, I had cleared all but two tram shacks and one tram! I also managed to score my final EMT 156 and 158. 16 winners and 15 new shacks.

25/06/18-29/06/18
My annual camping holiday with my wife saw us in Norfolk and for the first time camping away with friends. A few trips during the week saw the bonus of 37407 being had and 5 shacks (including Berney Arms) falling. The weather was fantastic which helped!

20180626-Great Yarmouth-37407 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

Along with a mate and his train mad son, we went to North Norfolk Railway so new shacks and line were had there too!

20180629-Weybourne-20227 by Steven Booth, on Flickr
The only day with cloudy weather!

31/07/18
Another trip to Manchester (those pesky 142s will not beat me!) was over month since my previous trip (I had been on trains but was very much and A to B thing!). Once I was in Manchester I had managed to get a bit of gen. One 142 would be had leaving me with just two to find now. During the course of the day I would also clear my 150s having scored three on this trip, including newly reformed 150209! That was a sight and a half too! 150209 being in FGW Blue and attached to 153380 in GWR green!

I also had bit of a session on the trams knocking off shacks on the Ashton-Under-Lyne branch. I am now left with four on the network to get in total. A good day with 9 winners and 11 shacks.

12/08/09

To bring it all up to date, my one and only trip on the rails this month was for the Diesel Gala at the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway. I stayed at my mother in laws the night before to save a car trip up and back in one day. The EVR are really fining their feet and this was a great little gala. I required 08605, 08704 and 73210 but 31601 and 33103 were also running. I wish I’d stayed longer but needed to be home at a reasonable time (an eight day stretch at work was imminent).

So that is that. So far i have scored 290 winners this year (20 Locos in that) and scratched 179 shacks. Tuesday should hopefully see me score something here in the South West when the 802s should be running. Then after that (in a months time) its the big one! I have two weeks off work will see me all over the place hunting down various requirements including some (hopefully) excellent beer!

Established Member
Very good Noddy. My sympathies to your friend and yourself. That day out you both had will have at least been a bit of a distraction to the lad.
A myriad of excellent pics in there too, Insanely jealous you've got 37407, plans are beginning to get it roped in.
Bet your missus loved you too, having to travel to pick you up.
I still wish I could've done the SVR Gala, however I made up for it on the ELR.
Congrats on clearing the 150s.

Established Member
Excellent stuff, with some great photos - the one of 37407 is sublime.
I love the one of 47749 as well, the colours are so vibrant.
Hopefully you'll be able to give us a few write-ups about your forthcoming adventures :)

noddy1878

Established Member
Well I'm not going out today then. The 802s ran scheduled services yesterday and today a pair of 800s started working the 1C04 to Penzance only for a set swap at Bristol which is now an HST. Will have to try again next Wednesday which is my next day off with no plans. I'm a little annoyed to be honest as I'd been looking forward to a trip on the 802s.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Well I'm not going out today then. The 802s ran scheduled services yesterday and today a pair of 800s started working the 1C04 to Penzance only for a set swap at Bristol which is now an HST. Will have to try again next Wednesday which is my next day off with no plans. I'm a little annoyed to be honest as I'd been looking forward to a trip on the 802s.

You will get to sample a 802 soon enough :)

Although it will probably be the same as a 800 on the inside in terms of seating layout

noddy1878

Established Member
You will get to sample a 802 soon enough :)

Although it will probably be the same as a 800 on the inside in terms of seating layout

Yes I will but I was looking forward to going out today. Can't be bothered now. Yes they will be the same as the 800s but I wanted to just experience a new train here in the SW. Oh and be going out and actually scoring a winning(s) train in Cornwall!!! That hasn't happened on the national network for years (I had Tornado on the Bodmin & Wenford railway).

Skymonster

Established Member
The galas in particular seem like they were fun andI enjoyed reading about them - the photos help put things into context. I must do more diesel days on heritage railways. GCR and ELR for me next month then I guess!

noddy1878

Established Member
25th August 2018
A day trip into Cornwall with my wife and a friend where we met another friend saw us end up in Truro after a good trip to St Austell Brewery for the new (well couple of years now i think) tour. It was a good day catching up but the main reason for this mention is I was fortunate enough to finally experience an IET in Cornwall. It was HSTs to St Austell and then onto Truro. Our trip back was on an IET, 802003 and 005.

20180825-Truro-802003 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

OK, the interior is the same on the 800s so it was nothing new to me but I enjoyed it. Plenty of room (10 cars was absolute overkill on this train) and comments from my wife and friend (non rail enthusiasts) was it was nice. Seats were mentioned (a little firm but far from being uncomfortable) and in general they liked them. I like them. I'm actually sick to death of hearing all these comments about the seats. Subjective views and as with all things, its the people who moan you actually hear the most. Yes they are firm but I think I will be ok on them even after a longer journey. 1h 12m is my longest so far and I was ok. Hopefully they will be out and about on Wednesday and I'll take a return trip to Penzance and back.

I am actually looking forward to them being rolled out properly and seeing what difference they can make. We kept to time (acceleration on Diesel was immense up to about 40mph) and in time I hope a few minutes here and there can be shaved off the timetable.

So two winners at home for the first time in years with more to come. Bring it on.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Not just acceleration at low speeds, but powered doors do reduce dwell times. Plus isn't Cornwall meant to be getting a new timetable soon with 2 trains per hour from Plymouth to/from Penzance (which I would imagine will be used well)

noddy1878

Established Member
Not just acceleration at low speeds, but powered doors do reduce dwell times. Plus isn't Cornwall meant to be getting a new timetable soon with 2 trains per hour from Plymouth to/from Penzance (which I would imagine will be used well)

Yes. The signalling work is being done now but I’ve no idea what stage they are at. I believe there will be a mix of IET, ‘Castle’ HSTs, four car 158s (assuming this is still the plan) and obviously the XC services using Voyagers.

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I bought this up to read on the plane this morning. Enjoyed reading the reports Noddy. Can’t imagine how pleased you must have been to have got a 47 hauled service train!
I agree with you regarding the new trains, and I expect those seats will soften with use after a bit.
Once everything is up and running (including the mini HSTs etc) we’re going to have a pretty good service down here so I’m not complaining.

noddy1878

Established Member
I bought this up to read on the plane this morning. Enjoyed reading the reports Noddy. Can’t imagine how pleased you must have been to have got a 47 hauled service train!
I agree with you regarding the new trains, and I expect those seats will soften with use after a bit.
Once everything is up and running (including the mini HSTs etc) we’re going to have a pretty good service down here so I’m not complaining.

It was a pleasant surprise getting that 47 I must admit. I was just hoping it wasn't to be a dud 90! :lol:

Yes, the service down here should be a lot better and offer a lot more flexibility. Not to mention if the 158s are all reformed to 2 car I will have even more to go after as most were into 3 by the time I got back into this game.

noddy1878

Established Member
29/08/09 - IET in Cornwall

A simple trip this. I had tried to do this move the week before when the first two IET diagrams were introduced on services beyond Newton Abbot. On that day the train was swopped at Bristol to an HST so I didn’t go out. I had unexpectedly managed to get a pair of IETs on the Saturday after but today I would get a full run on the IET in Cornwall. By my calculations this would be the pair that I hadn’t had. There must have been a set swop though as it was 802005 and 006 which ran. At least I needed one of them. That's three winning trains in Cornwall in less than a week!

20180829-Plymouth-802005 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

I basically took the train to Penzance and returned on it. For the down trip, there was an issue at Liskeard where we pulled up short and the doors couldn’t be released. We had to move forward and then all was ok. We lost about 10 minutes here. We finally got Penzance 7 down.

20180829-Penzance-802006 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

The weather was a lot better in Penzance (although by the time I got back to Plymouth it was like this too!) and I had a little wander and got a sandwich and crisps to eat. The return journey was uneventful and all ran to time.

So this was the longest time I had spent on an IET and the seats still not a problem for me. A short day out and no doubt I’ll do more of these as more 802s are rolled out down in these parts. £7.15 for the return which I don’t think is too bad for just short of 160 miles.

Last edited:

noddy1878

Established Member
Sure is Kite which leads me nicely onto this.

06/09/18 - Turbo and IET Hunting

September is going to be a big month for me, a very big month. I will in due course get to it all (once I have actually done it!), but plans escalated and I was very much looking forward to it for many reasons. I was also looking forward to just getting time off work! It’s been a long summer in retail……

I decided that a Freedom of the Seven and Solent was going to kick things off (I wanted to try out my new camera!). A 3 in 7 would allow me to do two days away from Devon/Cornwall for the day. A return from Plymouth to Tiverton for £7.15 and then the Rover would mean its £37.70 for each day. Not ideal but my rota at work will always restrict me and when I get multiple days off I do tend to go further a field. Also I had things to do in a FOSS area once more so it would be worth it, I hope!

I set off from home at 0840 with my wife who was off to work. The idea was a more leisurely walk to the station (instead of my normal pace) so I wouldn’t be hot and bothered by the time I got there. Didn’t work. Even though we didn’t walk my normal pace I was still uncomfortably warm by the time I got there and was glad I had no coat.

Tickets were obtained and it was off onto 220029. Five coach voyagers are bad enough but four? I somehow found a seat that was free until Bristol Parkway. That’ll do. Not a lot to report, mobile phone signal is shocking on these trains so I just read my latest issue of Ferment (craft beer magazine). To be fair the journey flew by and Bristol was soon approaching.

So the plan for today was to hunt out my last Class 166 turbo and then any IETs that I needed. Nearly all the 800/0s and some of the 800/3s are in service now so that was a lot I needed. A gen request was put in for 166211 earlier that day but as of yet nothing so I was keeping an eye out for it. In its absence I jumped onto 800010 and 800027 for the 1130 to Paddington. I didn’t need them but didn’t want to hang around at Bristol. I took them to Swindon. It looks like the 800s have settled down on this route now.

At Swindon I saw my first 800/3 in the wild! It was 800314 and I noted what it was doing. Maybe later… 66069 was shunting in and out of the station with a steel train.

060918-Swindon-66069 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

Another couple of required IETs (800019 and 033) were also spotted going East and these were also noted for later.

060918-Swindon-800033 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

My next move was an old school move on an HST. 43056 and 43094 back west to Bath Spa. Big mistake. I had calculated something wrong somewhere and what I thought was to be a pair of IETs with one winner on it wasn’t! I should have bailed at Chippenham! Never mind! The HSTs won’t be around forever belting along at 120mph! That is the one thing I noticed when I was on them! We were going a lot faster!

060918-Bath Spa-43056 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

Another HST back to Swindon (43193 and 43187, the later actually required for the year!) before I finally got my first winner of the day. 800013 led 800024 towards Bristol where I bailed at Chippenham. I needed to be back at Swindon so even though I knew 43094 and 43056 were returning it didn’t matter. Most of my moves now were dictated by what I knew would/should be coming back towards Swindon. A pair of winners in the form of 800019 and 800033 were taken to Bath. Annoyingly 37116 pulled up just as we left so that was a photo opportunity missed! I mentioned earlier the HSTs were quicker in these parts, well the IETs were still keeping to the timetable as I was able to get off the back unit and then make it to the front on the other side of the station with my normal walking pace to get a photo. Just makes me think what will happen when the juice extends further westwards and the time savings that could be made.

060918-Bath Spa-800019 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

800024 and 800013 returned to take me back to Swindon. I had a little wait now so I went and got a tea. About five minutes before my train was due I spotted 43002. I quickly got up and went and got a photo.

060918-Swindon-43002 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

800014 and 800022 arrived and I was soon off towards Wales. Was glad for a different view to be honest! I took this to Newport where 67029 was just pulling out when we got in. I had about ten minutes here where another IET move (800025 and 800007) was had to Bristol Parkway. The next train was unknown but was 800004 and 800011. That’ll do.

This time I went through to the capital. We were held for 11 odd minutes outside Cardiff which meant I decided that I would stay on the station and find some food. Some mention of points was made that caused the delay. I got off and noticed a steel train in the through road. Certainly didn’t look like it was off anyway soon so went and got a baguette before heading to the west end off the station for a photo. The IET I came in on was still here. No idea why? I nearly missed the photo opportunity of 70815 coming through with a really long log train (loved the smell too!).

060918-Cardiff-70815 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

060918-Cardiff-66136 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

I was impressed with how quick my new camera responded in the light and the fact that 70 was obviously moving. The nights are beginning to draw in now and the heavy clouds weren’t helping. Anyway, once the 70 had cleared I could see an ATW train about 200m outside the station that wasn’t going anywhere. I thought nothing of it. Minutes later a lot of police arrived on the platform on the other side. Still no idea what was going on. I was now concerned as nothing was heading West (except the odd train heading to Penarth/Barry). Luckily for me though it didn’t cause an issue with Eastbound trains at this time. My train was coming from Swansea and was rerouted into the vacant platform 2 (the Swansea bound train I came in on was in platform 1 and still there). It wasn’t what I was expecting (where was 800314? I must have worked something out wrong somewhere along the line). Didn’t matter I was glad I was getting out of here!

As I was boarding I heard the Pompey train would be leaving from Platform 0. I now thought it was better to be just getting home! So I got 43020 and 43053 to Newport. Enroute I spotted 66773 which was required for sight. Into Platform 1 at Newport because 2 and 3 were blocked with trains heading to Cardiff which couldn’t go. The Pompey train followed into the same platform and 158961 was then had to Bristol Temple Meads. We waited a while for a platform but soon enough we were in. Now I just had to wait for the XC to Plymouth. It was on time but there was an HST in Platform 12 which we were booked off. The HST had come ECS from Cardiff at roughly the same time we left. In 10 was a unit which left a few minutes before the XC was due. Thankfully it was routed into 10 and we left a couple of minutes down.

So the cause of the chaos at Cardiff? A local ATW train ran though points damaging signalling equipment. The eventual knock on effect was trains queued as far back as Swindon apparently.

Anyway my train home was 221144, the first time I had had it since it had been reformed from it’s 2 car status. A good and enjoyable day. I got six winners and travelled 597 miles. As for my turbo? It’s back in the Reading area! Doh! I’ll leave you with an old picture from the last time I had 221144…

20110611-Central Rivers-221144(2) by Steven Booth, on Flickr

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.