• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Noise Pollution

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris

Apparently:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4662954.stm

:tweety:

The rural alarm clock
Steam engine and modern c2c train
The whistle v the horn
What's the greatest noise pollutant facing the countryside? Not planes, not yobs, it's the train horn, apparently. And amid the clamour from villagers fed up of waking to it, the rail industry is looking for a solution.

The sound of a steam engine's whistle conjures up black-and-white movie images of tearful farewells. Or for the less romantic, it's a proud symbol of British engineering.

But its modern equivalent is unlikely to be regarded with such nostalgia.

Thousands of people across the UK have complained the horns on the new sleek, comfortable and, yes, quiet trains are just too loud.

The rail industry is meeting MPs on Monday to discuss how to tackle the problem, which has been compounded by increased concerns about pedestrian safety. In December, two 14-year-old girls were killed by a train at a crossing in Essex.

It's like a form of torture
Sheila Kolstoe
Train drivers are instructed by "whistle boards" to sound their horns 400 metres before they approach certain level crossings.

The number of these boards has risen by a third in the last five years to 1,224, with another 257 to be installed this year.

Sheila Kolstoe, 57, has a whistle board at the end of her garden in Lingfield, Surrey. It's one of three to torment villagers living near that stretch of track, from 5am to past midnight.

"I've lived here since 1987 and it wasn't until the new trains were introduced that horns became a problem," she said.

"It used to be a dull noise the body could absorb, but now it's two-tone and causes stress and sleep deprivation.

"It's like a form of torture. Imagine every time you go to sleep you get woken up every 20 minutes by a noise louder than a pneumatic drill."

17,000 complaints

Residents in Leicestershire have the same problem. Janet Barkby lives a quarter of a mile from a foot crossing in Barrow-on-Soar.

"It's got louder, the length of the noise has got longer and it's a more piercing sound than it used to be. Safety is paramount but when you consider it's only a foot level crossing and it's not very busy, it seems a little over-the-top."

The Noise Abatement Society says it has received 17,000 complaints in the last couple of years, from right across the UK, and describes train horns as the worst noise pollution facing the country, the equivalent to standing behind a jet engine.

Villagers in Lingfield, Surrey
It's torture, say Surrey villagers (pic courtesy of the Surrey Mirror)
A person one metre away would damage their hearing instantly, said Deborah Withington, a professor of auditory neuroscience at Leeds University, who has researched the impact of the new horns.

"It can be as high as 130 decibels, although in people's back gardens, from a realistic distance, it's more likely to be 70 or 80 decibels.

"People won't suffer definable hearing damage but there will be a huge annoyance based on sleep deprivation and their quality time being messed up. Even in between horns, people are on edge, waiting for it."

So what's the solution?

Peter Ainsworth, MP for East Surrey, has proposed a motion in Parliament, backed by 70 MPs, which calls for train companies to install the broadband horns used in the US, at a cost of £700 each, or revert to the old horns.

Before heading into Monday's meeting with Network Rail, he said: "Either we move to a broadband version, which has a narrow range of fire, so to speak, is heard by far less people and directs the noise down the track to alert people in danger, or we replace the horns with quieter ones.

Flowers at Elsenham in Essex
Foot crossings have claimed lives
"Everyone's used to having horns at crossings but there wasn't a problem until they replaced the trains.

"The new trains are much quieter but their horns are a serious problem for thousands of people up and down the country, and it needs to be addressed urgently."

Guidance on horns is issued by the Rail Standards Safety Board which revised the rules in 2003 in response to complaints.

It said horns need no longer be used going in and out of tunnels, and lowered the minimum decibel level from 120 to 112.

Spokeswoman Diana Lucas said in cases where there was clear visibility on a straight railway track, there may be no need for a horn, but it was up to Network Rail to assess the risk at each crossing and decide what form the warnings would take.

Some crossings could have flashing lights and a klaxon, as well as the horn sounded by the train driver.

"We know there are a number of locations where there are problems but equally there are locations where they don't cause problems," she said.

"The question is whether issues can be resolved locally or if technology enables changes to be made right across the network. The industry is looking at that at the moment."

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AJP

Someone said in that news report- ' It's like a form of torture', I say shut uP!! Trains need horns or they wouldnt be there! These people would be the first to complain if someone got ranover on tracks if no horn was sound :roll:

Why are 66's horn and HSTs horns very deep, (apart from Jordys film of a shed) :lol:

metrocammel

Well thats Electrostars for you... rubbish... !! :D

At last the "old trains" are being praised!

I like the idea of "fitting the old horns to the new trains", does that mean we'll see "Southern" fitters going down to Shoeburyness to nab the horns off the condemned slammers and bodging them on the roof of the 377's!?! now that would be funny...

voyagerdude220

Established Member
:lol: i'd like to see that..

I personally like the 220/221s horns most.

The quietest ones i've noticed are 156s, although i do like them anyway.

The "worst" one (oooops i meant best, so people won't hear them alot ;)) are the class 57/3s, because they appear to be a high-pitched horn that isn't very loud.

Jim

Established Member
voyagerdude220 said:

The lights would wake them up more :lol: ;)

voyagerdude220

Established Member
lol edit: I forgot to include an important sentance:

The railway was up & running before the people moved into their houses, so it's their own fault!

Jim said:
voyagerdude220 said:

The lights would wake them up more :lol: ;)

AJP

Exactly,People in Donny are complaining about planes but it used to be a RAF airport with even noisier planes :roll:

Stupid its a noice that lasts for seconds just like thunder or a bus or even a car passing.

Established Member
The railway runs passed my dads garden the only people hotting up are people that knows that my dad lives there.

Guinness

Established Member
Chris said:
Peter Ainsworth, MP for East Surrey, has proposed a motion in Parliament, backed by 70 MPs, which calls for train companies to install the broadband horns used in the US, at a cost of £700 each, or revert to the old horns.

How fast are these Broadband Horns? 150k, 512k, 20mb?

TheSlash

Established Member
Chaz said:
Chris said:

How fast are these Broadband Horns? 150k, 512k, 20mb?
Thats what i couldn't understand "Oh we want to fit these new broadband horns that give a narrower directional area" :? :?:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
They should complain to the council for siting their houses near a mainline.

These people are the sort that complain that a train leaves 23 seconds after the minute past the hour it is timetabled to depart (it's still on time!), or they complain that there is no grit on their private driveway or something. These people need lining up on top of a piece of 3rd rail, with the juice switched on...Yes, that might shut them up.

andrewmay

I do agree that train horns are louder on modern trains but what would happen if this motion is passed and someone gets killed because they didn't hear the train there will be an uproar from the public. This is happening after various accidents at level crossings have injured or killed people and safety around certain level crossings is being questioned.

Safety is paramount on the railways these days and this seems to be a step backwards and I can't see it happening.

I've got to admit though that I'd like to see what it was like if the old horns were returned to the modern trains. Would be funny to hear a class 47 horn then see a 66 round the corner although that would make me think a decent train was coming which could be annoying.

Dennis

Established Member
Royalscot said:
Right scrap all factories, planes, cars, trains and everything else and back to the farm. This experiment of civilisation is obviously not working, we'll occasionally starve to death and be killed by plagues but at least it will be quiet. :roll:

Except for the crowing cockerels at 3AM!

O L Leigh

Established Member
"Not in my back yard!" :x :x :x

We whistle for a reason, and actually whistle less now than we did before. They also happen to be loud for a reason.

I had to toot up leaving Southbury the other evening because of Tango's on the line ahead. Because it was the only Cl315 with a decent horn on it, I got some woman moaning at me as I pulled away. Tough sh*t, love. I don't much care that I pissed you off because I prevented two deaths.

one TN

class 313

Established Member
I remember a phew months back people were moaning about "southern" 375's horns. The people said that the air horns (wich were on the slammers) were not as loud as the electric horns. so why dont TOC's put air horns on the newer trains?

Sprog

Established Member
one TN said:

We whistle for a reason, and actually whistle less now than we did before. They also happen to be loud for a reason.

I had to toot up leaving Southbury the other evening because of Tango's on the line ahead. Because it was the only Cl315 with a decent horn on it, I got some woman moaning at me as I pulled away. Tough sh*t, love. I don't much care that I pissed you off because I prevented two deaths.

one TN

F*ck 'um.

Why should the railways compromise saftey just to pander to the general public.

That ruling mentioned in the previous pages should, and probably will, be thrown out of the commons instantly :roll:

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Good :D , because i like being tooted at by drivers, although I don't see many 315s in my area ;)

one TN said:

one TN

Sprog

Established Member
spm_43030 said:
F*ck 'um.

Why should the railways compromise saftey just to pander to the general public.:roll:

I repeat..................:tool:

Nick W

Established Member
Too be honest new trains have louder horns which is annoying when you're in a station and are startled by a horn....

Status
Not open for further replies.