• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Non Multi stickered trains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

323 Class

I was in Manchester Piccadilly yesterday and my attention was drawn to a yellow sign in the cab window. It was about A4 size with a cross running corner to corner with the words NON MULTI.
Can anyone explain this?
Incidentally this train 323231 is the unit that had the collision with a car on the track whilst doing Stoke to Manchester some years ago.20190517_122813.jpg 20190517_122807.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
It can’t be used in multiple, possibly at that end only, due to a coupling or electrical fault. Fairly self explanatory, I’d have thought, and it’s placed exactly where a driver of another unit can’t miss it.

Tempest3K

GC180's used to regularly have them in the window (haven't seen many recently so not sure it's still the case)

Highlandspring

Established Member
I work with the man who came up with the idea; he got an award and hefty ex gratia payment for it.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Indeed. Units can have to run with a cab “boxed in” due to cab defects such as GSM-R, TPWS etc.

So not just if it's an EMU with a motor or motors out then?

That's what came to mind at first, I think I saw such a sign on a 314 possibly.

_toommm_

Established Member
A couple of the 185s had them when they had their lights upgraded to the new LEDs - something to do with interference with the TMS i believe? Unsure as to whether they still have them or not....

Highlandspring

Established Member
So not just if it's an EMU with a motor or motors out then?

That's what came to mind at first, I think I saw such a sign on a 314 possibly.
ScotRail don't use Multi-only stickers, the restriction is just applied in Genius. Don't know about other TOCs though.

jamesst

My toc classes multi only units as non split and will put a label on the drivers desk in the buried cabs as such

Ih8earlies

ScotRail don't use Multi-only stickers, the restriction is just applied in Genius. Don't know about other TOCs though.

TPE stopped using them for a while as well and had a virtual system in place.

But after more than a few incidents where coupling up went wrong they brought the labels back in again.

aleggatta

Shattered windows, broken heating, etc. too.
Also traction faults and even (not quite sure how it happened) a unit being released multi only due to compressor failure (a 377, one compressor per unit) don't know how my old supervisor got away with that one!

Status
Not open for further replies.