• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Non - Win NT users

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom B

Established Member
Hi All

I've been working on a little addition to my BVE route, however this will only function under Windows NT. The function isn't central to the route so other users will be able to use it.

My question is - how many people don't use Windows NT? Please post if this is the case.

NB: Windows XP is NT5.1 and will work with this addition.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tom B

Established Member
Righty, thanks for those statistics (though it does prove how many people think Win XP is a "brand new shiny" OS, rather than being a repackaged NT ;)).

Tom B

Established Member
Coxster said:
Cockfosters said:
Righty, thanks for those statistics (though it does prove how many people think Win XP is a "brand new shiny" OS, rather than being a repackaged NT ;)).
Hehe, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_NT

... there you see ;).

Basically the application uses low level keyboard hooks, but these can only be used on Win NT based systems - Win 9x does not allow this functionality, so those users wouldn't be able to use part of the addon.

The Gricer

Cockfosters said:

While I accept (especially in view of the replies you got :lol: ) the point you are making here I must say that having used NT rather more than I would have liked over the years I would argue (if I could be bothered) that XP is rather more than a "repackaged NT". For instance try setting up and maintaining a corporate network on NT4 compared to doing the same on XP pro. No contest!

Also as it was introduced in 2001 I shouldn't think that many still regard XP as "a brand new shiny" OS anyway. ;)

Frank

devon_metro

Established Member
Cockfosters said:

Microsoft also hide the fact that it runs on DOS :roll:

Tom B

Established Member
The Gricer said:
Cockfosters said:

While I accept (especially in view of the replies you got :lol: ) the point you are making here I must say that having used NT rather more than I would have liked over the years I would argue (if I could be bothered) that XP is rather more than a "repackaged NT". For instance try setting up and maintaining a corporate network on NT4 compared to doing the same on XP pro. No contest!

Also as it was introduced in 2001 I shouldn't think that many still regard XP as "a brand new shiny" OS anyway. ;)

Frank

Of course, there have been changes - I've never tried networking with NT4. But the main "new" things with XP aren't central, core bits of the system - they're networking, UI etc.

When it was introduced, it was marketed as being brand-new-a-huge-step-up-akin-to-Chicago. Rather like Vista is. Even though the latter uses about 400mb of ram only for the desktop!!

One of the things that people often say when looking at us Linux users is "why the hell does anyone want to use a command line OS" - then they are reminded how DOS ultimately powers Windoze. Of course people use Win rather than DOS because MS havn't developed DOS at all, so you can't do much with the command line that you can't with a GUI.

T

Tom

dvn1357 said:
Cockfosters said:

Microsoft also hide the fact that it runs on DOS :roll:

XP does not run on DOS. XP uses the W2K core system which provides a command prompt "emulator"

Nick W

Established Member
Am I the only user who dislikes windows?

I use Mac OS X :) way ahead of windows.

Mac OS X runs on Darwin, so much better than dos...

class 313

Established Member
Nick W said:

Well lets just say id rarther have linux then either :D but if i had a choice between mac and win i would pick windows.

Nick W

Established Member
class 313 said:
Nick W said:

Well lets just say id rarther have linux then either :D but if i had a choice between mac and win i would pick windows.

You're crazy. Windows comes with no compiler or X support. Mac can even do gnome and kde.

Windows is like a ONE 90-hauled mk3 set. Slow always brakes down, creaks, jolts, looks ugly, attempts to look better with a skin/refurb...

TAS

Nick W said:
Windows is like a ONE 90-hauled mk3 set. Slow always brakes down, creaks, jolts, looks ugly, attempts to look better with a skin/refurb...
Some people, like me, like 'one', so that makes Windows sound attractive.

Nick W

Established Member
class 313 said:
A very funny video about macs.

[MUST WATCH]

He appeares very confused. The first mac described was in the time where it was that, windows 95/98/me

or NextSTEP which was bought over by apple and made into mac os X
NeXTSTEP.UI.jpg

Then somehow he talks about the dock on new macs, now why have th edock at the top of the screen

Steve jobs has no mac errors when he demostrates new stuff in his expos, but remember the MS demostration where the computer BSODs on bill gates :D

T

Tom

Nick W said:
class 313 said:
Nick W said:

You're crazy. Windows comes with no compiler or X support. Mac can even do gnome and kde.

Not true!! Use cygwin, a Linux emulator and you have LinuxWin.

Status
Not open for further replies.