• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nonclemature

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HR2

Why do you guys always put 'TS' after the year number of trains running on the Jubilee, Northern etc? I know it stands for 'tube stock' but it is misleading and unecessary. Staff employed in all aspects on LUL never use that at suffix they only ever say the year followed by the word 'stock' E.G. 1938 STOCK, 1995 STOCK. If it is ever abbreviated it is just the last two numbers of the year. I.E a '59 or a '62 In the case of SSL trains it's only the designated letter that is used and never the year following. 'D' 'C' 'A' etc.

So can we use the proper nonclemature for naming LUL trains and drop this completely unofficial way of putting things please? After all you would not say that a certain loco is a 'DELTIC DL' or a '73 EL' would you? So why define tube trains that way?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Met Driver

Established Member
I picked it up from using Dave's forum - it's always been the norm over there. The 73ts ;))) equipment & fuse location book I was given on work experience also refers to the stock as "73T/S". Strange eh?

H

HR2

Must be a recent thing then because all the official docs I have [mind you donkey's years old] never say 'TS' although the acual words 'tube stock' were used on occasion. It's the same with this modern [wrong] TREND OF SAYING 'COP' stock. There was never any such stock 'CO' yes 'CP' yes 'COP' no. the trailer cars in such units were classed as COP because thay could be marshalled with either type.

So if you want to be accurate the 'TS' is wrong

Coxster

Established Member
HR2 said:
After all you would not say that a certain loco is a 'DELTIC DL' or a '73 EL' would you?
Class 73s are often reffered to as 'EDs' ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.