• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

North Country/East Rover

Status
Not open for further replies.

Craig

Established Member
Repost of the message I posted in this thread which was the subject of some draconian moderation IMO... :roll:

How did this meet go? I was considering joining you on Monday for the Metro, but I was busy unfortunately.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

T

Tom

No draconian moderation there, the discussion in forum meets is strictly for planning forum meets ONLY.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Sorry about that, but just to clarify the Forum Meets section is only to plan future meets not to discuss them. Tom checked with me first and I said that, as tomorrow is the last day it can be locked.

As for how it went...

Monday - Basically everyone cancelled!

Tuesday - TPE, Scott didn't turn up, a few others cancelled, so only 2 of us on it, but it was a good trip. Got the North Berwick 90s done, saw several enthusiasts taking photos along the route but not many on the train. I have some videos that may be uploaded shortly! We were held for about 20 mins at Drem for an HST to get in front :? , but very odd as we'd have got to Edinburgh before it anyway! :? Still made all connections though.

Wednesday - A great day! Again a few people failed to turn up, but the NYMR was excellent, and the timings all worked out okay. We also got a Class 47 charter from York to Donny at the end of the day for £5 each, after some friendly enthusiasts had encouraged us to ask the guard for a 'part fare'. A good value method of getting a bus to Pickering, train to Whitby/Grosmont and doing the NYMR is a 'Moorslink' ticket, but be warned not all Northern/NYMR guards have heard of it and may need showing the leaflet!

Thursday - Disaster. The 0906 didn't exist. I must admit that I now realise I had done this to Saturday timings (this was originally a meet proposed by Derek that I did the timings for a Saturday a while back that got postponed - my fault!), and due to other factors I didn't get the required train, and I went to Leeds where I got there in time for the 0949 (just!)... except that is an 0947 in the current timetable!! In the end Laverack2's train missed the connection... but that was irrelevant and he'd lost his rover and was stranded at Selby! To cut a long story short Laverack2 eventually found his rover, Tomnick and Kayedj did the Cumbrian Coast as planned and I alone did the Cumbrian Coast the opposite direction to planned before meeting others at Carlisle, and we met Tomnick at Shipley after he was badly delayed due to a cow on the line. It was a bit of a disaster really, but we made the most of it and we all got something out of it. I apologise for the timings being wrong and for missing the correct (M-F) timed trains of 0859 and 0947 respectively. :oops:

Friday was the least ambitious day. Shildon is worth visiting, and the amount of time we had there was about right. Finally got the rare line via Snaith to Goole done.

Quite a bit of time was spent at Doncaster, on various days, and on each occasion it didn't disappoint. An excellent location for seeing HSTs, freight etc.

Tomorrow is the Saturdays-only line via Kirton Lindsay and various other lines in the area.

We have since found out that Scott couldn't attend due to family reasons, and TPE didn't have the £40 for the rover.

Sorry guys about the Cumbrian Coast day. If anyone wants to do it I'll be willing to go again.

A Tyne & Wear Metro day is planned for anyone who wants to go, to replace the cancelled trip, on another day. No date is set at present though.

jd

Yorkie, perhaps you should move that to the Stories board?

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Sounds like you had fun!

How on Earth you managed the 47 tour...Lucky little (insert colourful language here) you lot were...

Where is this line you mention, by the way, the SO one? Only one I can think of in the NE is Gainsborough to Barnetby.

evil_hippo

I would come on a metro meet, right on my doorstep, but the queayside transit must have even a brief visit, it's pretty impressive now the tall ships and the associated crowds have fleed. Perhaps Gateshead Metro-Central metro.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
evil_hippo said:
I would come on a metro meet, right on my doorstep, but the queayside transit must have even a brief visit, it's pretty impressive now the tall ships and the associated crowds have fleed. Perhaps Gateshead Metro-Central metro.

How did you get back so quickly?!

I only got back at 10:30pm... but then I did go up to Driffield, and tried to go back via Doncaster to discover the ECML was closed due to engineering works!

Did the conductor query the Brigg to Carlisle ticket being valid via Hull? You really should have got Brigg to Drigg though. ;)

evil_hippo

Yes, Yorkie asked for me to tell him the conversation between me and the conductor on seeing my ticket, an Appleby-Brigg ticket being used Hull Leeds (I am not sure whether or not it was valid, but I think it was- unlike the others).

I can confirm the conversation went like this:

Conductor: Tickets please

Conductor: Thank you

I don't, by the way, that Drigg-Brigg would be valid via Carlisle, the sensible way would be via Lancaster or via Manchester.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
evil_hippo said:
I don't, by the way, that Drigg-Brigg would be valid via Carlisle, the sensible way would be via Lancaster or via Manchester.
There are few trains via Giggleswick, and via Preston and Burnley would be slow, so I don't think it's unreasonable to go via Carlisle, especially given the fare: £40.40 Y-P! :shock:

May as well get a North Country Rover, for only 20p more that is valid for the entire journey via any conceivable route you could imagine.

Nevermind, there's always Peartree to Cherry tree. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.