• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

North Downs Line 1970s/1980s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whistler40145

Established Member
In the 1970s/1980s, what was the main Motive Power used on local North Downs services?

At any time did a 4/8TC+33/1 ever work these services?

Also, when CrossCountry services (prior to Virgin) were routed over the line, did any 31s, 33s, 50s & 73s work in place of 47s?

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?mavz1f

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ctyerkes

For local services class 206/3R/'Tadpole' DEMU units were the norm, until they were replaced in the early 1980s by class 119 Gloucester DMMUs.

I am as positive as I can be that 33+TC never worked the route, and certainly not on any regular basis.

In the 70s and 80s the line between Guildford and Reading was used by quite a number of long-distance workings up from Portsmouth to the Midlands and beyond. Cross-country/inter-regional services were usually worked by 47s, but I also recall seeing 33s and I think 45s may also have worked services. I don't recall seeing 31s, 50s or 73s on passenger workings. In the early 70s I think you'd have found 24s/25s and diesel-hydraulic 'Warships' on services all the way from Reading through to Redhill.

I'm sure I've missed something out!

Status
Not open for further replies.