• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

North East Round Robin

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrapy

Established Member
When I check NRE for fares for a day return from York to Carlisle on Saturday it shows a North East Round Robin to be the cheapest ticket.

I need to do both the outward and return legs via Newcastle as I'm meeting somebody. NRE still said this was the cheapest ticket. However under the ticket description it says it is valid for a circular journey on the East Coast Main Line and the scenic Settle & Carlisle line.

So it seems unclear whether it is valid to return via the outward journey route, even though NRE journey planner shows it to be valid. Anyone know for sure?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tony_mac

Established Member
It seems unclear; National rail does mention that it is for a circular journey, but the Northern leaflet says
'You can take the train in any direction, getting on and off wherever and whenever you please.'
which implies you can come back the same way.

The York-Darlington bit is always expensive; it's cheaper to split at Northallerton but that cuts down the options.

mikeg

Established Member
Well there's no way of the guard knowing if you've already been one way and are coming back the other (as long as you don't bump into the same guard twice), as the ticket is printed as a day ranger. This contrasts to some other round robins, notably the Ffestiniog round robin, which is printed as an out and rtn portion, with one being supposed to switch to the return portion after using the Ffestiniog railway.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Whilst the Round Robin permits travel all the way around the loop, I am not aware of any restriction on it being used for only part of that loop nor on it being used for travel over part of the loop more than once. Neither am I aware of anyone being challenged when using it in those ways.

As it is available on other operators' trains (and not just Northern's), I would hesitate in advising any one to use it for multiple journeys on other operator's trains (eg Newcastle - York and back with East Coast 4 times in one day!) but I cannot imagine Northern being concerned if travel is only along part of the route and back again (even if that was 80% of the loop in one direction followed by the same 80% of the loop in the opposite direction).

Your York - Carlisle trip and back will be fine.

Established Member
I'm sure the East Yorkshire Round Robin used to say 'valid in one direction only', so you could'nt go from York to Hull and back to York without going via Scarborough. This was on one of the first versions that came out a few years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.