• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

North East - things to do in a day..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chapeltom

Established Member
Hi all

I was planning to head to Richmond Town F.C, that's North Yorkshire on Saturday but the weather looks as though it'll put pay to that! However I've advances that arrive in Darlington at 1026 and depart at 1925, which gives me time to kill if the game is off.

I'm interested in History and the North East (north/east of Darlo) is not somewhere I've been on my own. Even travelling I've only done Darlington to Newcastle/York to Middlesborough/Middlesbrough to Whitby in terms of track. Anyone suggest anything I can do? Never been to any town up there, any suggestions?

Ta

Tom

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bevan Price

Established Member
Hi all

I was planning to head to Richmond Town F.C, that's North Yorkshire on Saturday but the weather looks as though it'll put pay to that! However I've advances that arrive in Darlington at 1026 and depart at 1925, which gives me time to kill if the game is off.

I'm interested in History and the North East (north/east of Darlo) is not somewhere I've been on my own. Even travelling I've only done Darlington to Newcastle/York to Middlesborough/Middlesbrough to Whitby in terms of track. Anyone suggest anything I can do? Never been to any town up there, any suggestions?

Ta

Tom

Darlington to Bishop Auckland, with 2 hour break at Shildon to visit railway museum ?

Established Member
Have you been on the Tyne and Wear Metro? Could have a trip on that, stop off at Tynemouth for fish and chips and have a look at the station market. If you have a DaySaver, it is valid on the Shields Ferry from North Shields to South Shields. Good museum to have a look at would be Arbeia Roman Fort, around a 15-20 minute walk from the ferry:

http://www.twmuseums.org.uk/arbeia.html

After that you can get the Metro to either Sunderland or Newcastle to connect back to trains to Darlington.

Status
Not open for further replies.