• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

North Norway & Sweden Railways

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Good evening,

Does anyone know if when travelling on the line from Bodo through to Trondheim, are there any reversals of direction enroute, some maps indicate there maybe at Faukse, but it may just be they way they are drawn?. Has anyone ever done that line? It looks a good route running along the coast.

I have travelled a couple of times on the Line from Oslo to Bergen which was great and also from Trondheim to Oslo which was ok.

I would also like to do the line from Narvik to Sweden and on the summer only Swedish "Inland Line" maybe one day I'll get there.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
The Bodo line doesn't have a reversal en-route, its an amazing trek with a huge variety of scenery although nothing as impressive as the Bergen line.

I did it a few years back, I believe that nothing has changed since and the train is still formed of a Di4 and fresh air stock - which is much better than the more modern aircons for photography. There are a couple of stops en-route which are long enough for a quick phot and we stopped at Fauske long enough for a leg stretch to break up the ten hour run.

http://87015aewn.wordpress.com/2011/06/21/norway/

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
If you can find an hour or two at Fauske, there's a side trip to the narrows at Salstraumen, a channel between 2 fjords. Due to the tide differences the turbulence effect can be spectacular.

Actually - looking at it on the map it's just as easy from Bodo.

Last edited:

Established Member
Line at Fauske is a through road, no reversal from Trondheim to get to Bodø. The line was the expected junction point of the far north line which was never built. My last trip up there was on a two-car DMU! It was no 142.... very comfortable, with food on board. We did hit a reindeer :(

The Nor-way Busekspress up to Narvik is a good one for sightseeing, it takes about six hours and is comfortable, goes on a few boats too. At Narvik, I used the very scenic Ofoten line up the hill and into Sweden, crossing at Rifsgransen, bizarre having people skiing along the platform; I went passed the beatiful Abisko lake and on as far as the city of Kiruna, and then back to Narvik. Following day carried on Northwards in Norway to Tromsø with Norwaybuseksprsss, and finally to my last stop Alta.

ex-railwayman

I haven't done that particular route personally, I only did The Flåm Railway in summer, several years ago, when I was in Bergen on holiday. Any train journey is worth it for the scenery alone and the Norwegians are very welcoming, but, prices can get a bit expensive for daily requirements.
You're making me jealous now, do you want someone along to carry your bags.....:D

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I haven't done that particular route personally, I only did The Flåm Railway in summer, several years ago, when I was in Bergen on holiday. Any train journey is worth it for the scenery alone and the Norwegians are very welcoming, but, prices can get a bit expensive for daily requirements.
You're making me jealous now, do you want someone along to carry your bags.....:D

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.

Only if you are paying for both of us....:D

coxy410

Hi has anybody got any knowledge on the daytime di4 diagram and how many years it may go on for. i went there in 1999 and had some great haulage with di3 and 4 a plenty not to mention other stuff paired with di3's.
I went back in 2004 with wifey and didnt really have much gen, i knew the di3's were long gone and could get the di4 on overnites.
I wrongly assumed the rest was them rancid units, so we took a trip half way up the bodo line and back, i think molsjon (spelling may be wrong) with a unit and back. Half way up the line we passed a hauled set with di4 and was gutted.
I want to go back again in winter and see if i can get some daytime di4 action.

Established Member
The daytime pair of Bodo trains 471/472 is still a Di4 and hauled stock but their are supposed to be refurbished aircons entering service this summer - presumably it is fairly safe for the longer term with money being put into the stock. They did get rid of it and replace with a DMU at some stage however the local Borg and Hilde didn't take well to the downgrade and the hauled stock was reinstated after only a few months.

Wish I'd had some Nohabs up there... still should hopefully get one in Kosovo next month :D

KingBBoogaloo

Pushed for time, I flew from Bodo to Narvik, insted of the bus. It was one of the greates flights Ive take, we flew close enough to the mountains to see people climbing them but far enough away to miss them!

Narvik airport is a bit of a shack, literally, two wooden shacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.