• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

North West 4 in 8 Rover- Syphons, Skips, Cats and the Quest for 403!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Day 1
The time has come, time to get away from work and chill, I needed this break and boy, don't you just hate waiting for that little trip to get away, the closer it gets the longer the days drag.
Anyway I'm up for 3am on Monday morning, my bodies saying, beeedddd, go back to bed but my heads going, yessss lets get ready and get outta here.

I do the 3 S's, then fill the flask, make some breakfast, wolf that before double checking everything and at 05.15 I'm in the taxi to Central Station, 05.23 Im stood on the South End of platform 3, noting 67003 is the thunderbird, awaiting a very much required(1 of my last 4 required red sheds) 66186 on the Tyne Yard-Pontland Burn coal, which conveniently, I'd been told the night before it was on and it duly arrived much to my delight within 5 mins of being there meaning I could now go for a peruse round WH Smiths and get a coffee.
Eventually I made my way over to platform 7 and shock horror 142088 is sitting there, however there's a jock rail 156 coupled to it, I walked beyond said bouncey castle and saw 1 5 6 4 5, is it 7, please be 457(my last jock rail 156 required for sight), in a second my hopes lifted, only to dashed equally as quick when I saw 8, close but no cigar, still 156458's still a winner for haulage.

The original plan was to go to Dumfries but 37409 had been replaced by 37402 and 37401 had duly been replaced by 423, both were winners and techniquest had informed me 402 was a bit of a beast, so I was looking forward to riding behind it, so lo and behold the Dumfries move was shelved. It's of no secret that I like either 156's or travelling on the Tyne Valley line, so I get a table seast(to myself) nearest the cab of the 156 for the first but equally as enjoyable first part of the trip. although when we left it was still dark, so I set about doing some bookwork, mainly checking to see if I've actually clicked some VTEC coaching stock, as usual I hadn't, I underlined a couple of cops from the previous week, 66623 and 66758 plus 66186 and afterwards, set about watching the world go by as people came and went at variuos parts of the journey to Cumbria.

I bailed at Carlisle to basically nothing, bar 158904, nowt round the back and nothing in the the North end bays until winning 37402 pulled in. I got a table seat in the back coach and listened to it thunder out of Carlisle, sweet jesus, what a departure, however the driver, much to my disappointment, only had a couple of flurries with the power handle in the DBSO, so it was rather a quite sedate blast over to Barrow, however leaving Harrington and again at Sellafield, he went for it, big style, that's more like it. Sellafield co-incidentally, was rammed with about 8 37's this morning, of which I got about 5, none required however.

Arrival into Barrow, I bumped into 37423, fresh from the 10.04 outta Preston, it's a winner but that's for the 14.36 to Carlisle,unfortunately, I wasn't waiting round for that, I was going down to Lancaster on the 12.10, I was hoping winner, 156429, that was parked up in the sidings, would form this, however it wasn't and the 12.10 was cancelled due to a train fault, Bollocks!!!! Not a great start and even better when dud, 156448 Bram Stoker, the creator of Dracula, pulled in on the next train outta there, now last outing, this unit surprised me, as it was my last HT 156 required for haulage, now its following me, guess you could say(cue drum roll) it's becoming a pain in the neck.

Anyway off we trot, down the other side but no less picturesque side of the Cumbrian coast, passing a recently tidied up Carnforth, I managed to note a few things, namely 57001 and my first 47 requirement since, well chasing the ones renumbered probably, with long standing requirement 47787 and a few bits of coaching stock, thank god for dictaphones. Into Lancaster and by now it's well after 1pm and I'm thinking, bait time, I scoff half my sarnies, a big packet of walkers spicy mix ups(highly reccommended by the way) and a mars bar, washed down with coffee from whats left in the flask on the train. I need to get to Preston and check into base camp, I walk over to platform 4 and on the opposite platform, arrives one of my required re-numbered pendos, oh happiness and more good news, winner 350405 gets the dubious honour of taking me to Preston, where after a good scout round taking numbers, cops aplenty too, I go find my base camp, The Ashwood Hotel, to check in. 500 yards later Im there, the land lady is very pleasant and on first impressions everything looks fine, the rooms nice and clean, plenty tea, coffe and milk and the bathrooms very nice too, all in all I'm very pleased indeed. The beds fine by me but wether the RailUk forums Trip and Planning Bed Grading Inspectors will approve I'm not sure:lol::lol::lol:

I dump my mobile house(holdal) off my shoulder and dump it in the wardrobe, taking my essentials in my havasack and after a quick coffee, I make back to Preston Station, to get over to Manchester, for a certain skip on the Loco hauled Llandudno turn, everyones told me it's 67014, so please god,it's not changed.

AR(All round, sight and haulage)Winner 319362 whisked me off to Wigan, for my maiden voyage on a 319, have to say, I like them, not as much fun as the starships but fun none the less. From Wigan 350401 speeds me off to Manchester Oxford Road, where I'll veg a bit to see what's coming and going, I'd no sooner bailed the 350, when 66542 was copped on a liner presumably off or to Trafford Park, countless others of NH's finest went into the cop book too, I was waiting for the Norwich-Liverpool 158's to debunk to Piccalilly, when 66596 got added to the cops list too. Winners 158855/158847 were taken for the short hop to Piccalilly, to be in place for the 16.50 Llandudno turn, whilst vegging and copping one here and there, the set duly arrived and departed with my penultimate required skip 67014, result!!:D:D:D:D:D, big big thanks to fishquinn and the many others who'd informed me this was on, glad they never saw the need to change it, just 013 to find now.
I made my way over to Platform 14, it was rammed, with those going home, many departed on the train before but on arrival the platform was rammed again, we boaeded and the train was chocker and even more rammed at when we stopped at Oxford Road, fortuntely, I got in the front coach vestibule by the window and stayed there, with the window down, enjoying AR winner, 67014 's noise, working away at the front, many bailed at Newton le Willows and Earlestown, where a guy got on with his bike, ramming my legs with the front wheel, without an apology at first. the apology, did arrive but not until I sarcastically said, oh, it's ok mate I've got other legs in the bag, I was then treated to him, dragging whatever was on his chest and spitting it out the window, i wanted to throw him and his bike out that very same window, still I bet his mothers pleased how he turned out :roll::roll:

I left Bob Carol Gee's best mate and his bike at Warrington. Firstly I was in need of a ciggy and secondly, some food, it took me a while but after trooping into Warrington for a chippy, noting that the locals have a fondness for the combo of grey sweat pants and parker coats, now I'm no Gok Wan but sorry folks, it aint a good look at all, I didn't find a chippy or see the shop that sells an abundant supply of sweat pants and parkers but much to my relief I found McDonalds, firstly I used the loo and ordered an XL big South African burger with bacon with fries and a coffee, the coffee, through nothing but sheer greed, I nearly took the skin off the roof of my mouth by attcking the coffee with a big gulp, in about 10mins flat the food was demolished to a pile of crumbs, it actually took longer to order an recieve than it took to eat:roll::roll: and hastily made my way back to the Station.

I hadn't considered what to do next, so I waited to see what materialised, 92032 ran light through the station and duly copped whilst pondering my next move. AR winner 390129 made my mind up, quick spin to Preston before sampling one more bit of 319 action between between Preston and Wigan.

I bailed 390129 and straight over the bridge onto a waiting AR winner 319363 back down to Wigan, before bailing that through the subway and onto another AR winner 319382 back to Preston. By this time, its about 9pm and after my 3am start, Im admitting to myself, that I'm starting to flag very quickly, however as I'm about to make headway up the ramp out of Preston Station towards base camp, two dogboxes on platform 5 spark into life, hang on, what they doing? I walk up the ramp to the departure screen and see they're on the Barrow turn, so it's across the bridge and camp myself on the rear dogbox, they're both winners 153331 and 153363 and enjoy some DBT up to Lancaster, for a 20 minute fester before winner 390112 ends whats been a tiring but excellent first day.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
47403:2324923 said:
Day 1
The time has come, time to get away from work and chill, I needed this break and boy, don't you just hating waiting for that little trip to get away, the closer it gets the longer the days drag.
Anyway I'm up for 3am on Monday morning, my bodies saying, beeedddd, go back to bed but my heads going, yessss lets get ready and get outta here.
I do the 3 S's, then fill the flask, make some breakfast, wolf that before double checking everything and at 05.15 I'm in the taxi to Central Station, 05.23 Im stood on platform the South End of platform 3, noting 67003 is the thunderbird, awaiting a very much required(1 of my last 4 required red sheds) 66186 on the Tyne Yard-Pontland Burn coal, which conveniently, I'd been told the night before it was on and it duly arrived much to my delight within 5 mins of being there meaning I could now go for a peruse round WH Smiths and get a coffee.
Eventually I made my way over to platform 7 and shock horror 142088 is sitting there, however there's a jock rail 156 coupled to it, I walked beyond said bouncey castle and saw 1 5 6 4 5, is it 7, please be 457(my last jock rail 156 required for sight), in a second my hopes lifted, only to dashed equally as quick when I saw 8, close but no cigar, still 156458's still a winner for haulage.
The original plan was to go to Dumfries but 37409 had been replaced by 37402 and 37401 had duly been replaced by 423, both were winners and techniquest had informed me 402 was a bit of a beast, so I was looking forward to riding behind it, so lo and behold the Dumfries move was shelved. It's of no secret that I like either 156's or travelling on the Tyne Valley line, so I get a table seast(to myself) nearest the cab of the 156 for the first but equally as enjoyable first part of the trip. although when we left it was still dark, so I set about doing some bookwork, mainly checking to see if I've actually clicked some VTEC coaching stock, as usual I hadn't, I underlined a couple of cops from the previous week, 66623 and 66758 plus 66186 and afterwards, set about watching the world go by as people came and went at variuos parts of the journey to Cumbria.
I bailed at Carlisle to basically nothing, bar 158904, nowt round the back and nothing in the the North end bays until winning 37402 pulled in. I got a table seat in the back coach and listened to it thunder out of Carlisle, sweet jesus, what a departure, however the driver, much to my disappointment, only had a couple of flurries with the power handle in the DBSO, so it was rather a quite sedate blast over to Barrow, however leaving Harrington and again at Sellafield, he went for it, big style, that's more like it. Sellafield co-incidentally, was rammed with about 8 37's this morning, of which I got about 5, none required however.
Arrival into Barrow, I bumped into 37423 off the 10.04 outta Preston, that would for the 14.36 off Barrow, I wasn't waiting round for that, I was going down to Lancaster on the 12.10, I was hoping winner, 156429, that was parked up in the sidings, would form this, however it was cancelled due to a train fault, Bollocks!!!! great start even better when dud, 156448 Bram Stoker, the creator of Dracula, pulled in on the next train outta there, now last outing, this unit surprised me, as it was my last HT 156 required for haulage, now its following me, guess you could say(cue drum roll) it's becoming a pain in the neck.
Anyway off we trot, down the other side but no less picturesque side of the Cumbrian coast, passing a recently tidied up Carnforth, I managed to note a few things, namely 57001 and my first 47 requirement since, well chasing the ones renumbered probably, with long standing requirement 47787 and a few bits of coaching stock, thank god for dictaphones. Into Lancaster and by now it's well after 1pm and I'm thinking, bait time, I scoff half my sarnies, a big packet of walkers spicy mix ups(highly reccommended by the way) and a mars bar, washed down with coffee from whats left in the flask on the train. I need to get to Preston and check into base camp, I walk over to platform 4 and on the opposite platform, arrives one of my required re-numbered pendos, oh happiness and more good news, winner 350405 gets the dubious honour of taking me to Preston, where after a good scout round taking numbers, cops aplenty too, I go find my base camp, The Ashwood Hotel, to check in. 500 yards later Im there, the land lady is very pleasant and on first impressions everything looks fine, the rooms nice and clean, plenty tea, coffe and milk and the bathrooms very nice too, all in all I'm very pleased indeed. The beds fine by me but wether the RailUk forums Trip and Planning Bed Grading Inspectors will approve I'm not sure:lol::lol::lol:
I dump my mobile house(holdal) off my shoulder and dump it in the wardrobe, taking my essentials in my havasack and after a quick coffee, I make back to Preston Station, to get over to Manchester, for a certain skip on the Loco hauled Llandudno turn, everyones told me it's 67014, so please god,it's not changed.
AR(All round, sight and haulage)Winner 319362 whisked me off to Wigan, for my maiden voyage on a 319, have to say, I like them, not as much fun as the starships but fun none the less. From Wigan 350401 speeds me off to Manchester Oxford Road, where I'll veg a bit to see what's coming and going, I'd no sooner bailed the 350, when 66542 was copped on a liner presumably off or to Trafford Park, countless others of NH's finest went into the cop book too, I was waiting for the Norwich-Liverpool 158's to debunk to Piccalilly, when 66596 got added to the cops list too. Winners 158855/158847 were taken for the short hop to Piccalilly, to be in place for the 16.50 Llandudno turn, whilst vegging and copping one here and there, the set duly arrived and departed with my penultimate required skip and AR winner 67014, result!!:D:D:D:D:D, big big thanks to fishquinn and the many others who'd informed me this was on, glad they never saw the need to change it, just 013 to find now.
I made my way over to Platform 14, it was rammed, with those going home, many departed on the train before but on arrival the platform was rammed and even more rammed at Oxford Road, fortuntely I got in the front coach vestibule by the window and stayed there, with the window down, enjoying the skips noise working away at the front, many bailed at Newton le Willows and Earlestown, where a guy got on with his bike, ramming my legs with the front wheel, without an apology before I said, it's ok mate I've got other legs in the bag, I was then treated to him, dragging whatever was on his chest and spitting it out the window, lovely, bet your mothers pleased how you turned out :roll::roll:
I left Bob Carol Gee's best mate and his bike at Warrington. Firstly I was in need of a ciggy and some food, took me a while but after trooping into Warrington for a chippy, noting that the locals have a fondness for the combo of grey sweat pants and parker coats, now I'm no Gok Wan but sorry folks, it aint a good look at all. I didn't find a chippy or see the shop that sells the aforementioned clothing retailer that sold an abundant supply of sweat pants and parkers but much to my relief I found McDonalds, firstly I used the loo and ordered an XL big South African burger with bacon with fries and a coffee, the coffee, I was starving, through nothing but sheer greed, I nearly took the skin off the roof of my mouth by attcking the coffee with a big gulp, in about 10mins flat, actually took longer to order an recieve than it took to eat:roll::roll: but I walloped the grub down and hastily made my way back to the Station.
I hadn't considered what to do next, so I waited to see what materialised, 92032 ran light through the station and duly copped whilst pondering my next move. AR winner 390129 made my mind up, quick spin to Preston before sampling one more bit of 319 action between between Preston and Wigan.
I bailed 390129 and straight over the bridge onto a waiting AR winner 318363 back down to Wigan, before bailing that through the subway and onto another AR winner 319382 back to Preston. By this time, its about 9pm and after my 3am start, Im admitting to myself, that I'm starting to flag very quickly, however as I'm about to make headway up the ramp out of Preston Station towards base camp, two dogboxes on platform 5 spark into life, hang on, what they doing? I walk up the ramp to the departure screen and see they're on the Barrow turn, so it's across the bridge and camp myself on the rear dogbox, they're both winners 153331 and 153363 and enjoy some DBT up to Lancaster, for a 20 minute fester before winner 390112 ends whats been a tiring but excellent first day.
You weren't impressed with my home town then?:D

When I first started reading, I was assuming you were walking towards Warrington Central. There is a chip shop near there, but I have to agree that town isn't the best for chippys!

Established Member
You weren't impressed with my home town then?:D

When I first started reading, I was assuming you were walking towards Warrington Central. There is a chip shop near there, but I have to agree that town isn't the best for chippys!

Its alright but the Parker and sweat pants is just plain weird :lol::lol:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Bloody hell what a first day!

I know the feeling about waiting for a trip, the last few days and hours drag like mad! Then excitement kicks in once work is done and sleep can be an issue!

To do all that after such an early start is insanely good going! I'll have to try that hotel one day, I'll let you know what I think of the beds when I do, but it's sure well located for bashing!

Glad you found 402 to be a bit of a beast!

I look forward of course to more reading of your epic trip when it's ready!

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
Nice reporting, the ride past the Carnforth depot is fun. If you need any numbers for the demic parcels stock, I photographed most of it last month and I doubt it has moved - start here and click right!

cls

Really enjoyed your write up and looking forward to day 2 :D

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
That sounds like a corker of a first day! I am looking forward to the next instalments!

Established Member
Day 2
After a good nights kip, the alarm went off at 7am, I put the kettle on and done the usual what people do, made myself a coffee, sat on the edge of the bed and pondered todays moves, after a cooked breakfast ofcourse. I had the obligatory shower and made way downstairs for breakfast.
A short while later I've a pot of coffee, a glass of Apple Juice and a cooked full english and two slices of toast to devour and devour I did, fanastic start to the day.

After a quick ciggy, I packed the havasack and made up a flask of coffee with the coffee and milk provided in the room. 20mins later via the shop for a bit of a supply raid, around 8.30am, I'm stood at a rather packed Preston, with Virgin Rail staff explaining something to a lot of irate folk, the trains aint going anywhere and I'm curious to know whats going on but the staff are far too busy explaining to commuters and business folk for me to get a word in edgeways, thankfully techniquest comes up trumps(many thanks for that tech) and theres been some emergency incident between Wigan and Warrington and the services were on sight.

I curse my luck but think of the persons family, what earth shattering news they're going to get today. The short hop to get some mersey rail action in for the morning, is basically knackered, I have more planned for the afternoon and evening. around 9.45 things start moving again and those trains held up, start rolling in, great for the notebook, shame about the plans. I decided I'll do the 10.04 37 up to Silverdale for a short fester and back to Lancaster on whatever unit arrives, praying for my life it aint a 142. I jump aboard the 10.04 and 37402 is in charge again, I was hoping it was 37423 but I aint complaining, it's a 37 on a passenger service after all.

However 10.04 quickly came and went, with the disruption and things moving through the blockade, we lost our path, about 15mins we were off and unlike Mondays sojourn behind a rather sedate 37402, the driver opened her up to many of the 37 cranks aboard and my utmost delight, however progress was slow, as we got held up in queues, passing Carnforth, I managed to add to the cops list with a few more coaching stock and 57315, which was nice but I was sweating on my connection at Silverdale, it was evapourating quicker than a fart in a gale, approaching Silverdale, my fears were realised, a pair of UID dog boxes promptly left, ah bollocks!!, right, quick rethink, I have no internet on my phone, so RTT options are a no go, there was no Preston-Barrow timetables left, so I decide to press on with 402, positioning myself on the right hand side of the coach using the PIS's at stations, as a guide, counting down times of next arrivals, it works a treat, by the time I get to Cark, Ive got about 20mins till a train leaves Ulverston, I depart 37402 at Ulverston for a plus 3 connection back. However that too goes belly up, the train due in at 11.46 is delayed by 10mins, then 2 mins later we're told, it's cancelled due and I quote this, "due to a puncture on the tyres on the train wheels", I'm guessing the fitter or whoever, phoned the announcer and said, it's been cancelled due a wheel flat. I've heard it all now, says a bloke on the platform. Now my plans to get some more 319 action in before this afternoons shenanigans were kyboshed too. Not the greatest of starts at all, especially as the next trains 45mins away, I could've just went to Barrow and be done with it.

I've now got 45mins to kill, so I set off into the town centre for a bit bigger supply raid and an ATM. 1Omins later Im face to face with my all time comedy heroes, well their statues, Stan and Olly better known as Luarel and Hardy, no time for sentiment, I say hello and goodbye to them, get some cash out and go in a shop, get 3 cans of diet coke, a 6 bag of walkers crisps and 3 pack of mars for the princely sum of £3, before turning heels outta there and back to Ulverston Station, into the ticket office and buy a cheap off peak return to Edinburgh from Lockerbie(where the NW Rover starts/ends) and an anytime return to Dunfermline Town(cant use off peak tickets on the train I'm after, so I'd been told anyway), for the less princely total sum of £29.80 but worth every penny. Obviously this meant using the TPX to Edinburgh but hell who cares.

I was after scratching another itch, shame these itches normally cost a fortune but hell I was after riding the Jock rail cats and a hour or so between Haymarket and Waverley, would a) put a hole in the requirements over the Border and b)increase my chances of also seeing that last scottish 156.

Still I had to get to Lancaster, nevermind Edinburgh for the 17.20 cat to Cardenden.Bang on time, dud 156479 rolled in, no seats however, so it was standing all the way to Lancaster. It was after 1 when I'm sat pondering to break the journey, if the next trains a pendo, I'd have to bail at Carlisle at least if it wasn't, I needn't have worried, the next train was from Manchester Airport to Edinburgh anyway, winner 350404 pulled in, somehow I managed to find a free unreserved table seat to myself, quickly put the phone on charge and settled back for the trip to the Scottish capital, munching away on lunch, whilst idling away looking out the window.

I got the dictaphone ready for Kingmoor, however 66548 and 66426 on a RHTT(I'd seen them the night before in Preston) blocked a fair bit of what was on view at the South end of the depot, to my surprise, ScotRail liveried cat 68006 which was a cop ofcourse, was amongst some of the other DRS loco's and it got me thinking, so whats went up to replace that one them?, secretly hoping it's 68001 and not 008, not that I'd be bothered but it's always nicer to get ones you need, anyway let's just wait and see.

I bailed at Haymarket, just as tram 252 was going past, unfortunately it's one I've seen, which is qute remarkable, remarkable in the fact, that it's the ONLY Edinburgh tram I've seen anyway:roll::lol::lol:, just my luck today I guess, in my defence, I've got enough heavy rail requirements to contend with, without chasing trams.

The hour and a bit at Haymarket flew over, seems I timed it well, as things were coming off Haymarket Depot for the peak rush hour, along with service trains already running, I certainly copped a few, I had about half an hour till the 17.20, so I decided next train into Waverley on this platform is mine, 2 mins later AR winner 170420 took me through the tunnels into Waverley.

A quick look round Waverley got a few more units in the cop list, notable loco's were 67024 and 90047, neither required but as you do in Haymarket and Waverley, I was starting to get unit blindness, I then positioned myself to see what was on the 17.05 to Glenrothes and got talking to a fellow crank, he was from Kidderminster, he'd been up with his missus for a few days and ridden behind tonights cats, last night and friday nights too. We heard the 17.05 before it showed its face, 68007 was a cop and would be my charriot back from Inverkeithing, we watched it thunder away through the tunnels, god I love the sounds these cats make, it got me a tad excited waiting for mine to come, 68003's on yours, he said, that'll do me, I replied, adding I wondered what was on because 68006 is in Kingmoor.

Sure enough winner 68003 arrived and I jumped aboard the front coach, ticket in hand to Dunfermline Town, I felt like I had the Golden ticket to enter Willy Wonkas Chocolate factory, here I stayed, in tthe vestibule and after everyone clambered aboard, I pulled down the station side window put my head out of it and got ready for the off. I got flash backs, here I stood and It reminded me of our twice a year trip to Edinburgh as a kid, the ones at the start of the 6 weeks holidays with fellow school cranks, more vivid, I could even remember the old smell from the Brewery that hung over the place, when you got off the train, it was like a, Welcome to Scotland, it stinks but you'll get used to it,:lol::lol: Back then, we'd be trying our best to avoid the gripper, trying to maximise our tickets, we'd be doing the 47/7's, NB 47's and 27's outta there, good times indeed, sadly them years are long gone, so young fishquinn, cherish the memories young sir. Anyway the rolling thunder that was 68003 broke me out of my day dream and that 20 minute spell at the window with the awesome noise these new loco's make was heaven indeed, the trip over the Forth railway bridge was stunning, it's been far too long since I'd been this way and I certaibly won't leave it as long again, especially if the 68's continue on these turns. The 68's are wonderful machine, in my eyes anyway and with drop down windows, truly awesome. I bailed off at Dunfermline Town and across the bridge awaiting a unit back to Inverkeithing for the next part of Catch scratch fever. As I write this, it suddenly dawned on me the last time I was in Dunfermline was about 18yrs previous, I was out the hobby then and I was visiting a lass I'd met on holiday, I'd made a weekend of it, to coincide with my fave Scottish football team Hearts play Dunfermline, I sat with her brother, who was a big Pars fan in the Dunfermline end, Hearts won 2-1 and it was agony having to basically sit on my hands, trying not to celebrate the jambo's goals, whilst her brother gave me abuse after both Hearts goals:lol::lol::lol:That was some weekend I can tell you:lol::lol::roll:.

Anyway, a few moments later AR winner 170395 arrived and took me down to Inverkeithing for the half hour or so fester, I chose this time to have a coffee from my flask, a bit munch on my ever dwindling supplies and a ciggy. There was a fair bit stuff trundled through, a lot I'd previously seen at Haymarket but an appearance from a voyager set me off grunbling to myself and when I was writing the notes up from my dictaphone,, I was less than complimentary about it's appearance:lol:
The emmergence of a few more cranks on the Station, well 4, 2 on the opposite platform with camera's in hand and 2 to join the train I was awaiting, told me 68007's arrival was imminent, not long after, now just winner 68007 arrived and I was perfectly positioned for the door and the very front coach and vestibule window, ofcourse head out the window, enjoying 007's rolling thunder, I still maintain, these 68's sound like a cross between a western when starting and a 47 when in full flow, whatever it is it's fantastic but I keep telling you that, it's like preaching to the converted I know, sorry but I'm hooked
All too soon it was over, I'd drained my flask so made for Costa, it went down a treat, I went for a ciggy at the top of the ramp in hope of adding 1 more of the Edinburgh's trams to the cops list, one came indeed but guess which one, yeah 252, I just stood there with my coffee and ciggy laughing, god knows what people thought of me but I didn't care, I'd 2 cats in the bag so I was happy. I made my way to the platform in hope my 350 back to base camp would be a winner, I was happy to see winner indeed 350409 in the platform awaiting to take me back to Preston, I clmbed aboard found a table seat and put my phone on charge for the largely laborious journey back, I did consider bailing at Carlisle to get another one in if for haulage to Preston but after lack of coverage on my phone, I decided against it, just as well too because tech text me and told me 2mins after we'd left Carlisle, theres nothing south after the your train. PHEW!!!!

Bailing at Preston, I was after some munch, to my joy, 2 mins away I found a takeaway, I got myself a double cheeseburger and chips plus salad and chilli sauce for a bargain £3.90 and it was gorgeous too, 5mins later, I'm in my room at base camp I was delighted to see they'd replinshed the coffee and milk in the room too, so I made a cuppa, ate my supper, done the book work, quick shower and crashed into a world of zzzzzz's till 07.30 next morning.

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Bloody hell what a first day!

I know the feeling about waiting for a trip, the last few days and hours drag like mad! Then excitement kicks in once work is done and sleep can be an issue!

To do all that after such an early start is insanely good going! I'll have to try that hotel one day, I'll let you know what I think of the beds when I do, but it's sure well located for bashing!

Glad you found 402 to be a bit of a beast!

I look forward of course to more reading of your epic trip when it's ready!

Thanks tech, much appreciated, 402's not a patch on 37409 (OH MY) Lord Hinton;):lol: I'd recommend the hotel to you all.
Tim R-T-C said:- Nice reporting, the ride past the Carnforth depot is fun. If you need any numbers for the demic parcels stock, I photographed most of it last month and I doubt it has moved - start here and click right!
Thank you Tim, thanks for the link too, very much appreciated
Kite said:- Sounds like an excellent first day :D
it was indeed kite, hopefully that wasn't you and your bike on the skip turn;):lol:Im sure your much more polite than that.
fishquinn said:- That sounds like a corker of a first day! I am looking forward to the next instalments!
Many thanks young Sir, the next day will hopefully and be up sooner rather than later.
cls said:- Really enjoyed your write up and looking forward to day 2
Again many thanks cls, glad you enjoyed it too, hope day 2 lives up to its billing :lol::lol:

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I sent that text at 2133, which was fortunate as we were running a little early on the bus home, so got my data signal slightly earlier than expected. I'm still disappointed there's nothing else even if only to Preston after the 2135.

Twitter is certainly useful for finding these things out, which is where I got the gen on the incident from, VT's Twitter feed.

So very, VERY, jealous of the Cat action you had, but not of that hefty ching! At least this visit to Dumfermline will have been better than your one to see that lass!

You sure did well on Day 2, it must be said, and another excellent read!

Kite159

Veteran Member
It was my evil twin who has a non-folding bike who currently isn't the other side of the world ;)

You managed to pull something out of a bad start, jealous of the 68ss.

Established Member
tech said:-I sent that text at 2133, which was fortunate as we were running a little early on the bus home, so got my data signal slightly earlier than expected. I'm still disappointed there's nothing else even if only to Preston after the 2135.
Twitter is certainly useful for finding these things out, which is where I got the gen on the incident from, VT's Twitter feed.
So very, VERY, jealous of the Cat action you had, but not of that hefty ching! At least this visit to Dumfermline will have been better than your one to see that lass!
You sure did well on Day 2, it must be said, and another excellent read
I thought £29.80 wasn't too bad tech, as you know I had this planned, it was going to be on the Thursday but the connection home wasn't there unfortunately, as it goes, doing it on the Tuesday, worked out much better.

Kite said:- It was my evil twin who has a non-folding bike who currently isn't the other side of the world
You managed to pull something out of a bad start, jealous of the 68s.
No need to be jealous Kite, I'm sure you'll get up there sooner rather than later, your evil twin, was major pain

Many thanks lads, very much appreciated

Last edited:

Established Member
Day 3
The day of days to check out, I'd got stuff ready before hitting the sack, so it was a case of jumpimg out of bed at the slightly later 8am, I showered and done other things of human nature before, making up my flask, getting myself a coffee in the room going down for a ciggy and Breakfast, the breakfast again was a joy, I got my usual but had a bowl of cereal first, by the time I got through it, I was bloated, I even had an extra pot of coffee.

Today's gonna be a long one for sure and wether it was the prospect of the overnighter or the early starts, late finishes had started to get to me too, probably a mixture of both but I was in a bit of a fettle with myself, my motivation today was sadly lacking, Give over and get it into to gear, I told myself, also the mobile house had to be carried today. C'est La Vie.

I checked out, thanking the land lady for an enjoyable stay and the lass who cooked breakfast, I said thank you to her too, complimenting her breakfast. I had a quick ciggy, picked up the mobile house and made for Preston Station, for today's mini attack on the Mersey Rail. I had a quick survey of what was knocking round, I did ponder the trip to Ormskirk on winning dogbox 153304, then I saw how many were attempting to clamber on and thought better of it, instead I saw winning 350408 coming into Platform 5, so I scooted through the tunnel and jumped aboard and squeezed the holdall into the luggage rack ad set off for Wigan, I wondered if I should hit Wallgate station but instead just walked down the South End of platform 1 and watched the units dip down onto the line towards it, good choice because 1 of the 2 AN 156's I'm after 156464:D:D appeared with class mate 156487, a few went by and I clicked 150277 on that route too. Not too long after I thought to myself, I'll have to get my backside into gear here, so made over the platform for the 319 to Liverpool Lime St, winner 319367 done the honours and Huyton, I clicked 319377 for sight too. Whilst on said 319367, I text tech for some advice on Mersey Rail, it was a no0n entity to me, everything on there's a winner, in the NREA, THERE'S NOT ONE UNDERLINED:oops:, his advice on the day was priceless, not to mention his patience, so I'd like to take this time out to say thanks for the info mate, many others shared info too and my debt of gratitude to you all too.

It was with great trepidation that I made my way down onto the Mersey Rail platforms, my initial plan was to go to Chester and make my way back. So I made my way to Hamilton Square first and foremost, my first Mersey Rail unit from Lime St was 508124, I found my way to the next platforms, scoring 507016 going the opposite way before another AR winner arrived in the form 508126 which I took to Rock Ferry, because I was trying to get a few in for haulage, passing Green Lane, I scored another unit. I was waiting at Rock Ferry when an announcement was made, due to a train failure all trains have been temporarily suspended and bus replacements will be provided for those wishing to travel to Chester. Well I'm sure you can imagine my response, i crossed over the bridge and had a ciggy whilst texting tech asking where the depot is. Needless to say I headed in that direction with the intention of clearing the West Kirby and New Brighton Branches, although not shack by shack, like you extreme shack scrathers just the lines. I made back to Hamilton Square on AR winner 507020, back down to the platform I origanally started at, this time I took AR winner 508134 to New Brighton, where I past the depot, scoring 507031 in the process. At the end of the line I thought I'd have a walk down to the sea front but after getting blown half to death by an icy wind, just going to the shop accross the road, I thought better of it and jumped back on 508134 back to Birkenhead North, this time 507006 and 508136 had joined the party at the depot and were duly scored accordingly. As I crossed the bridge, I noticed an Asda over the road and thought, ok, that'll come in handy on the way back. I waited for the next train to West Kirby and was treated to another AR winner 508104, this time I let the unit go and awaited my next chariot to Birkenhead North, for a supply raid at Asda. Winner 507016 done tthe honours and I sped off out the station for a supply assault, I drew some money out the ATM, Then stocked up for the night shift, 2 ham sarnies, 2 cheese and onion sarnies, 2 pasties, a pack of 4 mini pork pies, 2 bags of walkers spicy mixes, a 3 pack of mars bars, a pack of haribo's and a large bottle of coke, should suffice. I stuck them all in the mobile house on my shoulder, it now weighed about the same weight as a semi detached. Needless to say, progress was a bit slower back to the station. My mini assault on Mersey Rail was all but done, I'd cleared both the New Brighton and West Kirby branch, not huge milestones but enough for me. As I waited for the train back to Lime St, I contemplated the Mersey Rail mini mission, yeah it's not too bad, it's a bit like the metro back home, apart from the stations seem bigger and the Rolling stock's a damn sight better. I'd certainly feel a lot more confident now, to attack it on a larger scale next year. All that remained was the unit back and was rewarded with dud, yes dud 508124. Oh well, can't have them all.

Arriving into Lime St Station concourse, I got myself a coffee and then scoured the platforms for something to start making my way back on, the EMT 158's were in and a quick glance saw winner 158785 on the rear, the destination board said via Warrington Central, I hadn't ever done the line, so me and the mobile semi detached made for the 158's, winner 158785 was on the rear but AR winner 158862 was on the front, plus it was nigh on empty, so onto 862 it was. After Liverpool South Parkway the guard come round, looked at ticket, he saw NW Rover and Newcastle on it(obviously where I purchased said Rover), that stretch down here from Newcastle he asked, I then proceeded to tell him the boundaries, by thats great value aint it, hope your enjoying yourself then. Have a good day, thanks for having a valid ticket. I enjoyed the run on the 158's and EMT's are very nice indeed. I bail at Manchester Oxford Road, basically because I need a break, a quick ciggy and I grab a mars bar out the bag and pour myself a coffee out the flask and take 10mins out. I walk back onto the Station and decide whatevers next onto this platform takes me to Piccalilly, AR winner 142051:oops::o rolled in, did I get on, did I hell, in fact I swore at it, I let the tin can bounce away without me on it, taking instead another AR winner 150119 coupled up to dud 156469, now thats more like it, sure the train god was extracting the water sending 142051:oops::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I had a bit veg at Piccalilly before deciding enough was enough, I jumped aboard winner 350406 and took myself off to Preston, I'd just got up to the South end of Preston Station and noticed quite a few fellow cranks around, all seemingly looking down the platform, somethings on here I thought, maybe its a kettle or an ECS from Carnforth to Southall. imagine my surprise(and delight) when a Colas 70 showed up on the Chrik logs, I knew I'd scored it, I didn't have any for sight, just a case of which one it was, 70805 was duly scored, what a result that was.
Afterwards I departed the station for something hot to eat, now I was doing an overighter on Carlisle where they like to lock the loos as soon as the first sleeper leaves, so a Curry was certainly off the menu:lol:, so I went to the takeaway from a couple of nights ago and ordered another double cheese burger and chips, I sat in the waiting room at Preston Station and wolfed it down with a huge swig of pepsi max. Delicious it was too.

I came out the waiting room feeling more content with myself but made a huge mistake, much to my annoyance, I jumped aboatd pendo 390129 thinking it was a winner, on doing some book work on the train up to Carlisle, I realised it was a fresh dud, I'd had it Monday evening from Warrington-Preston, now I have it from Warrington-Carlisle, I also discovered that I've had 6 of the TPX 350's, on this trip, plus the 2, I already had, thats 8 out 10 for haulage(watch out Carol Vorderman, thats for the maths, not that I'm aware shes a big 350/4 basher:roll::lol:) only 402 and 403 to find, well that is till they decide to add a coach or transfer them to the Tweedmouth branch or somewhere like that and re-number them.
Anyhow I've landed at Carlisle for the overnighter, initially it's quite mild and theres the odd crank here with me but they've told me they're disappearing after the 90's disappear with the Cartics, I've been up since 8am and still relatively alive, let's see what tonight and tomorrow brings, until then,,,,,,,,,,

Last edited:

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Another 2 great days then!

I never say that the next train will definitely be mine, just in case something awful appears (like 142051!)

Established Member
Sounds like another good day, with a good first day with the deluxe 50xs :)

Another excellet day indeed kite, especially as mostly everything I saw on the Mersey Rail was a cop. Hows Japan more to the point?
Another 2 great days then!

I never say that the next train will definitely be mine, just in case something awful appears (like 142051!)
Yeah, 142051, it could happen to anyone but always seems to happen to me:oops::oops::lol::lol: i laugh now but at the time, it was like, you £^&))** what!!!! and you heap of £$!!%^&&:oops::oops: :lol::lol::lol:
Plenty requirements fishquinn, obviously adding the pre-planned trip to JockRail teritory on Tuesday, saved what started out a bad day, the Wednesday, again seen me click a fair few more the NREA, not least making a start on the Mersey Rail, the last days to do, will probably go up tomorrow evening, where I'll sum up everything at the end of the last days trip report.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Glad to have been of help, if I'd realised at the time time you'd never done any amount of MerseyRail I'd have gone into full blown details on it. Remind me if you go another time and I'll gen you up on everything I know.

Even with the issues at Rock Ferry you managed a decent little session on MerseyRail!

Those Mixups you got are hellfire aren't they? I find it almost impossible to not eat the entire packet in one sitting! Cheers for the gen on Asda near Birkenhead North, I suspect that will come in handy should I end up over that way again sometime.

I know only too well your pain with carrying an enormous amount of stuff around, done it on ALRs in 2011 and 2012, dumping it all off at the end of the trip was a huge delight!

As for the 390 you had to Carlisle, I've done that sort of thing as a result of not updating my books on the move, had it with a 455 in London once as the first move of the day. Scored it there but didn't update my NREA on the way around. Had the same 455 after many many moves that day, and I thought it was a winner. Wasn't amused when I went through my books that night!

I'm looking forward to the final part of your trip report!

Established Member
Glad to have been of help, if I'd realised at the time time you'd never done any amount of MerseyRail I'd have gone into full blown details on it. Remind me if you go another time and I'll gen you up on everything I know.

Even with the issues at Rock Ferry you managed a decent little session on MerseyRail!

Those Mixups you got are hellfire aren't they? I find it almost impossible to not eat the entire packet in one sitting! Cheers for the gen on Asda near Birkenhead North, I suspect that will come in handy should I end up over that way again sometime.

I know only too well your pain with carrying an enormous amount of stuff around, done it on ALRs in 2011 and 2012, dumping it all off at the end of the trip was a huge delight!

As for the 390 you had to Carlisle, I've done that sort of thing as a result of not updating my books on the move, had it with a 455 in London once as the first move of the day. Scored it there but didn't update my NREA on the way around. Had the same 455 after many many moves that day, and I thought it was a winner. Wasn't amused when I went through my books that night!

I'm looking forward to the final part of your trip report!

Im the same with them mix ups, once I start on them I just cant stop.
Hey the gen you gave me was top drawer mate, WHEN I do it again, I've a much better idea of what I'm doing.
As for the pendo, nothing was marked up in the NREA anyway, I do that when I get home, everything goes onto my dictaphone and when I get a chance, I write the day up, I just hadn't consulted my trip notes. Was annoying because I was passing Penrith, having written up everything for that day and was basically having a look through the cops and winners, if I'd noticed earlier I could've bailed at Lancaster or Oxlenholme.
Many thanks for the kind words regarding the trip report.

Last edited:

Established Member
The Overnighter into Day 4, Part 1

I've landed at Carlisle it's roughly 21.00, maybe after, there's sill a few cranks on the station, one elderly guy from Teeside is filming the freight trains, he was a canny soul and we got talking. I asked if he was staying all night, he laughed and said, not a chance, my mate and I are going as soon as the 90's come through with the Cartic's. He said, well, at least you've picked a night when the 90's officially replace the 92's on the sleepers, Serco are hiring them of DBS, I didn't know wether to laugh or cry, but they've had some real issues with the 92's reliability, many cranks, will be sitting with smug grins, saying, I told you so. Shame because I like he 92's.
I've got a few hours before the station doors and more importantly the toilets are locked, so I'm free to wander out for a ciggy and nip to the loo at will.

Plan for tonight is to scratch off the few sleeper coaches I need, namely 9800 and 9805 and hopefully cross off the few 90's that were re-numbered to the 90/1 series and when I got them, they reverted back, I could've just said, ah to hell with that, I've got them but I didn't. Also to stay awake and not freeze to death would be a bonus too:D:D

The plan for the early hours was to get down the Cumbrian Coast on the 05.15 and meet up at Sellafield with the 05.46 coming back, thus finishing the turns by 08.30, leaving me to feel free to do what I wanted for the rest of the day, as long as I'm back for the 21.25 out of Carlisle to Newcastle.

For a good hour freight wise there was nothing, a few pendo's, a pair of voyagers and terminating units from Glasgow Central/Dumfries, Barrow and Leeds. I was also on a watch for the TPX 350's. As I said in my previous report I've manged to get 8 of the 10 for haulage, leaving only 402 and 403 to find.

One of the last passenger trains North was from Manchester Airport-Ediburgh, I thought I'd stay on platform 4 and see what turns up on it, be a good reference for tomorrow, lo and behold it was 350402. After that departed I went out for a ciggy and nipped over the chippy, I had plenty grub in the bag but I just fancied a battered sausage and bread bun, to make a saussy sarnie with. It hit the spot too, washed down nicely with a cuppa from the flask.

Soon after a few freights wheeled in one after another, with 66528 kicking things off on a modal, before a pair of 86's rolled through, again on a modal and soon after 37602 and 37259 on a couple of flasks, fairly thrashed there way through too, before 90043 added itself to the cops list. The cartics duly arrived with 90018 and 90035, the guy from Teeside said his goodbyes and good luck and departed for his B n B.

The temprature started to dip too, so it was into the mobile semi, out came the wooly hat, my thick jumper, the jumper I had on, I used the arms as an impromtu scarf, tucking the rest into the back of my jumper. By the time the sleepers rolled in, I'll openly admit I was starting to flag, big time, First up on the Southbound sleeper, was 90042, a dud and so was the coaching stock, 90049 rolled in too on a sleeper, again no joy with the stock. Again Carlisle died a death, like it does and I was awoken up by 66951 pulling in on a coal train. I must've quickly dozed back off because the change over driver of the 66, said, you ok?, the sleepers pulling in, wether he thought I was travelling on it or just used to daft cranks like me being on the station overnight, Im not sure, however Im glad he did too because 90044 brought in a rake of sleepers that included both 9800 and 9805, ah result.

More 90's came and went, along with the odd DB shed, Colas 60087 whizzed back n forth with the Dalston Tanks and 70805 returned with the Chirk empties, shortly, around 4am, I desperately NEEDED a pee, fortunately the side door out the station had been opened and all i can say, is the lucozade bottle came into play, wipes for my hands too. All got wrapped in a carrier and deposited in a bin at the top of Botchergate st, sorry if this way to much infomation but be prepared if your gonna do an overnighter anytime soon or in the future. Shortly before 04,45 the Cartic's returned with not only 90018 and 90035 but with 90039 leading now, then shortly before 5am 90036 was added to the cops list too, as the last sleeper pulled in.

It was now over to platform 4, to see what was on the 05.15, with eyes like a certain part of a female sheeps anatomy, I saw the DBSO arriving, stopping short, 3/4's of the way down the platform, a few folk went to board and were told not to get on at the minute there's a problem, I was too busy checking the loco, yippe it's changed, winner 37422 had replaced 402. I went up to the DBSO and the guy who'd brought it in was trying to rev the 37 via the DBSO and getting very little, one of the station staff, was told a fitters on the way from Kingmoor, 5mins later he arrived, he had a go and he also got nothing either, he rang Kingmoor and the words I wanted to hear came out his mouth, they're sending a loco down to stick on the front, get in!!! I thought I heard one of the guys say,, they've just changed the loco last night because the one they took off is due an exam, I'm screaming inside, YEEEEHAAH!!!!. the fitter and his mate went back into 37422 as another 37 rolled in behind the coaching stock, it was non other than NB 37259, oh yes, that'll do me. Just then the driver was told to try again with the DBSO and 37422 erupted into life, the fitter came down and said, try it again and again 37422 erupted, the fitters mate said, we using the other one then, the fitter said, No, send it back, I walked over to the fitter and jokingly said, you git!!, you know how much you've just upset me and the rest of the bashing fraternity, he said, Sorry just doing my job, well I said, don't be so bloody good at your job, we both laughed and he said, I'll take that as a compliment:lol::lol:.

I clambered aboard, taking the nearest seat available, we left about 25 down, which meant I'd only get to Corkicle or St Bees, we fairly thrashed out of Carlisle, great noise, however, what the rest of the journey was like, I'm afraid. I can't tell you because shortly after Wigton, I conked out and had it not been for the thrashing of 37422 through the tunnel at Corkicle waking me up, I'd have probably awoke in the sidings at Barrow:lol::lol: I quickly removed the mobile house from the luggage rack and made for the door to bail at St Bees, I got off to see winner 37423 just pulling in on the opposite platform, I scarpered over the bridge up the platform and onto the front coach and into a seat, next thing I knew, we were pulling into Maryport and in the seat opposite was a woman doing a crossword. I still felt crap but at least I'd had a fair bit kip.

Day 4, Part 2
At Carlisle I went over the bridge and got a large cup of tea, at the small vendor, £1.30, it was a bargain and fantastic, strong, little bit milk and piping hot and with the last mars bar, it went down a treat. Now then, wheres 350402
I jumped aboard winner 390047 to Preston, I was gonna do Leeds and Yorkshire today but to be fair, I didnt fancy taking dud 158904 over the S&C and I really needed to liven up myself, so today folks it's gona be a bashing day, move here and there, the main aim was to find get aboard 350402, I know thats out and hopefully find 403 and clear them. Into Preston and I make for the loo, I come out of trap 2 fully changed, god knows what the guy next door thought I was up to. I got a quick wash to freshen up, quick spay of deoderant and outta of there, I was all set to do winners 156464 and 150112 to Manchester Vic but winner 350402 arrived on platform 5 going North, so I hot footed onto it and up to Lancaster, only 403 to find now, however after checking my trips notes I've yet to see it at all, over the last 4 days, so I guess, hope is all I have. of tagging 403.

I wanna get back sharpish, so whatever arrives at Lancaster is mine back to Preston, unless it's a 142 or a voyager ofcourse. I'm rewarded with dud 350410, back to Preston, I see another Manchester Airport turn, this time on Platform 2, however this ones from Blackpol North, so I know this time its a dessy but a diesel dessy, 185. I aint had one this trip, so nows as good a time as any, winner 185133 pulls in and I make my way to get on, when I'm told there's another one coming to attach up to this, Oh good, a double 185, even better, imagine the irony when winner 185143(not the forum member either, I know it wasn't he cos it never had grey sweat pants and a parker on:lol::lol::lol:) pulled in and coupled up to 133, 185143 avoided me for ages, it became my nemesis among the 185 clan and I persued it all over the North, failing at every attempt before it finally showed one glorious day in Donnie, now here it is awaiting me to climb aboard. I took these all the way to Manchester Airport, mainly because a) I've never been there and b) the Quest to see if 350403 would be around. It wasn't, however I did get my 1st Manchester tram for sight, 3074 pulled in and after seeing bloody loads, that were too far away to ID, I'd eventually nailed one, there was nothing but dud's in Manchester Airport, even the 319 was dud, I hung round for the first winner and was rewarded for my paitence when 185126 was on the run to Cleethorpes, this I took to Piccalilly.
After bailing 185126, it was a quick dash round to the next platform and onto winning starship 323230 down to Guide Bridge, down into the motor coach for the weird and wonderful screech and sounds of these wonderful EMU's. At Guide Bridge 66519 passed through with the bin liner, before what would've been a winner 142054 arrived with a trip back to Piccalilly, not for me it wasn't, I'd sooner have walked back, the guard shouted are you getting on? I replied, Not on your life mate:lol::lol:, he looked bemused, I laughed as they bounced away, am I geting on:roll::roll:. 10mins later, another starship made an appearance round the curve, I made my way to the motor coach again and climbed on board another winner 323232 for the hop back to Piccalilly.

Coming in on 323232, I noticed AR winner 390138 and one of tech's last 2 required pendo's for haulage 390016 in the platform, I bolted off said starship and onto 390138 for the ride out to Stockport, I quickly bailed off that and through the subway and onto winning EMT 158's 158866 and 158812 back to Piccalilly again, I bailed off that onto Platform 14, ran round the corner, just making it onto another pair of winning EMT 158's on platform 13b, this time 158773 and 158810 and quick as you like I'm back off to Stockport. back through the subway and after a 2 minute wait, I'm on AR winner 175115 back to Picalilly, it's now 20 to 5, so I make my way back over to Platform 14 and await the loco hauled set, ok so 67014's a dud now but I couldn't resisit one more trip to Warrington on it. If I thought Mondays was rammed, today it's doubley rammed. A good majority bail at Newton Le Willows and Earlstown but Mr Bikeman joins us again, this time he's courteous to say excuse me, to the lady in the vestibule by the door, as he's pushing his bike on, however, his cold hasn't obviously cleared:roll: , as he's soon revving his chest and hockling out the window again<(<(, oh lovely I say sarcastically, just audible enough for him to hear, he was about to rev up again, when the lady next to hm and his bike, said, please can you not do that, its disgusting and it's making me feel sick, he went pink from the neck up, I couldn't stifle my laugh and laughed out loud.

I bailed at Warrington and said bye to the skip and made my way over to the Northbound platform, I was hoping to get a 319 to Preston but there wasn't even one in, so I jumped on the pendo that had just arrived,, forgetting to check the number, it was fresh dud 390047 from this morning, to be fair I wasnt fussed, tiredness was really starting to kick in, I bailed at Preston in hope of catching 350403, no luck though, so I took winner 185114 up to Lancaster, still in hope 350403 would be out playing, however winner 390115 arrived in, so I climbed aboard for the penultimate journey of this North West Rover and promptly crashed out, till I heard the words, we'll shortly be arriving into Carlisle, Carlisle in around 5mins etc etc. I climbed off and went straight for a ciggy, I had roughly 45mins to kill, I went into the waiting room for a while before popping out to see what 156 was taking me home, it was 156448 Bram Stoker again, I went to get on only to be told by the guard, its out of service, theres another one coming, so I'm told, we were and it was still a dud, 156481 was my charriot home, just before the off a pair of 66's came in with a modal, 66302 and cop 66301, nice one to end the party I thought. I showed my ticket to the guard before Weatheral and that was it, I was actually woken up by the guard at Newcastle.

I was knackered and as for overnighters on Carlisle Station, I can catergorically say thats my very last, I did click 2 90's, out of the 10 that showed last night and with 9800 and 9805, my last 2 Caledonian sleeper coaches I required are now in the bag, Im afraid to say the railway mecca of my childhood for overnighters is just not what it was, by a bloody long chalk.

The rover itself was cracking value, I thought anyway, I've thoroughly enjoyed it and had some great locos for haulage. I managed to stay voyager and 142 free, which was a huge bonus, learnt some new routes and knowledge, especially on Mersey Rail. I'd certainly reccommend the Ashdown Hotel, the place is clean, the rooms nice too and the breakfast are delicious. The one downside, although I wasn't looking, I never seen any lifts, so be wary if your unable to climb stairs, great location though, 5mins away from the station and a takeaway about 2 mins past the station down by the taxi rank. Plenty to see in the station too, great variety, unless your from that neck of the woods ofcourse. The aim was to put a huge dint in my NH requirements and I certainly did that, I had 6 loco hauled trains, although 2 were the Jock Rail cats. I had a good variety for haulage.
Loco's 37, 67 and 68's

DMU'S 150, 153, 156 158 170 175 and 185's,
EMU's 319, 323, 350, 390 507 and 508's
I'D LIKE TO THANK EACH PERSON FOR OFFERING THEIR ADVICE either before or during this trip, Many many thanks to you all and also many thanks to all, for the kind words on the Trip Reports. Very much appreciated.
Trip results
Total cops = 144
Winners for haulage = 51
Miles travelled = just a tad over 100miles, a few bog chains and 1 lucozade bottle, I think(im not one for shacks and mileage really, I leave that to the pro's):lol::lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Excepting the tiredness, that sounded like a brilliant last day, and congrats on getting 350402 in the end! I also need 350403 for haulage (the other for me is 401). I need them both for sight too!

Kite159

Veteran Member
Another excellet day indeed kite, especially as mostly everything I saw on the Mersey Rail was a cop. Hows Japan more to the point?

Yeah, 142051, it could happen to anyone but always seems to happen to me:oops::oops::lol::lol: i laugh now but at the time, it was like, you £^&))** what!!!! and you heap of £$!!%^&&:oops::oops: :lol::lol::lol:
Plenty requirements fishquinn, obviously adding the pre-planned trip to JockRail teritory on Tuesday, saved what started out a bad day, the Wednesday, again seen me click a fair few more the NREA, not least making a start on the Mersey Rail, the last days to do, will probably go up tomorrow evening, where I'll sum up everything at the end of the last days trip report.

Amazing so far, my holiday is going too quickly :(

Sounds like another varied day :)

Last edited:

Established Member
An excellent few days, there.
I must get back to Merseyrail soon.

Cheers 55013, very kind of you to say. I had a great few days.
By the way, I must thank you for sharing the move to Dunfermline Town on the on the 17.20, unit back to Inverkeithing for the Glenrothes to Edinburgh Jock Rail Cat back, great little bit of advice, it worked a treat, so many thanks for sharing that move.
Amazing so far, my holiday is going too quickly :(

Sounds like another varied day :)

I could imagine Japan being an amazing place to visit, enjoy the rest of it, don't spend too much on all our presents, hate to see you run short of money for the rest of your holiday:lol::lol::lol:
Very varied kite, I was like a lost soul on the Mersey Rail:oops::lol: Thing is, now I feel more confident about it, I wanna go back ASAP:lol::lol:
Excepting the tiredness, that sounded like a brilliant last day, and congrats on getting 350402 in the end! I also need 350403 for haulage (the other for me is 401). I need them both for sight too!

fishquinn, I was like the walking dead after I'd done the Stockport moves.
Yeah just 403 to clear them for haulage but like I said in the trip report, I never even seen it over the 4 days.
Im slightly dissappointed with myself for not getting to Manchester Victoria but Piccalilly kept providing winners and cops galore, I'm sure Man Vic would've provided a fair few too and doing some moves out of there, would've provided winners for haulage too but it just gives me an excuse to have a bit of a mission there, when I'm next in that area.:D:D:D:D:D:D

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
A fantastic final part to the epic tale! I need 403 as well, plus 402 and 409 from the 350s before I clear the lot. Will I ever manage it? Maybe!

Shame the NB 37 wasn't needed after all, but at least you got some decent thrash from 422! I don't envy the all nighter at Carlisle, I haven't done one in years and have no intention of ever doing so again. It's exhausting and, since I've seen almost every single thing that runs through that way these days (excluding some 68s, the 88s eventually and 66953, oh and some Colas 70s) it's pointless for me now. Glad to hear you survived it OK in the end though, a medal is deserved! When I did one last I think we had a 390 stabled and open all night in the platform so a PNB was never an issue lol.

Certainly you had a really good time there, I must make sure I do a North West rover next year!

Established Member
A fantastic final part to the epic tale! I need 403 as well, plus 402 and 409 from the 350s before I clear the lot. Will I ever manage it? Maybe!

Shame the NB 37 wasn't needed after all, but at least you got some decent thrash from 422! I don't envy the all nighter at Carlisle, I haven't done one in years and have no intention of ever doing so again. It's exhausting and, since I've seen almost every single thing that runs through that way these days (excluding some 68s, the 88s eventually and 66953, oh and some Colas 70s) it's pointless for me now. Glad to hear you survived it OK in the end though, a medal is deserved! When I did one last I think we had a 390 stabled and open all night in the platform so a PNB was never an issue lol.

Certainly you had a really good time there, I must make sure I do a North West rover next year!
just as well 422 did mate, like I said, I'd never have woke up, that tunnel at Corkicle is awesome for loco's thrashing through it.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I'll bear that tunnel in mind, not been through it on a loco hauled train yet.

I assume this was your last bash of the year?

Established Member
I'll bear that tunnel in mind, not been through it on a loco hauled train yet.

I assume this was your last bash of the year?

yip fraid so, Christmas is round the corner, thats the reason, I threw a bit at this one, next outing not likely till about Feb now. 73/9 on the sleeper could be very tempting around then?
Thinking of another June/July, 3 or 4 day trip, not quite sure where to go though.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Kent Rover is my recommendation, absolutely tons you'll need down there!

Aye Christmas has been going for about 6 weeks this end, with it having really been going for gold in the last 10 days. The worst is to come, may God have mercy on us all when December arrives...

My last big trip of the year is almost here, a little over a month to go. After that I have been considering a birthday bash on 14th December (working all week after that including the birthday itself) but that one won't be owt too big.

I think we're all just about packed up for the winter now, not aware of anyone on the forum with any big trips ahead now.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
a good read - lots of movements! MUST write up my ALR soon! Overnight on a station, you must be mad ;)

A quick bit of feedback - can you break the text up into paragraphs with line breaks as it makes it much easier to read!

Status
Not open for further replies.