North West Electrification

Discussion in 'Infrastructure & Stations' started by LNW-GW Joint, 8 Mar 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LNW-GW Joint

LNW-GW Joint Established Member

2. tbtc

tbtc Veteran Member

Seems strange to me as there will be no EMUs which will be able to use the line west of Preston until the lines to/from Manchester/Liverpool are electrified. Still, good that they are starting it

3. LNW-GW Joint

LNW-GW Joint Established Member

Manchester-Preston/Blackpool will be able to run under the wires via Parkside and Wigan while the Bolton route is being wired.

4. tbtc

tbtc Veteran Member

Ah, so the Newton le Willows line is being done first? Makes sense then

(apologies, am at work, so didn't click on the document link)

5. scrapy

scrapy Member

EMU's would be able to work on the Liverpool - St Helens - Wigan - Preston - Blackpool route though. There may also be some EMU's routed Manchester - Eccles - Wigan - Preston - Blackpool, as the line through the Farnworth tunnels will probably have to be closed for a lengthy period for electrificatiion.

6. jonesy3001

jonesy3001 Established Member

Wonder what EMU`s will work the routes when the OHL work is completed??

7. gordonthemoron

gordonthemoron Established Member

8. anthony263

anthony263 Established Member

The class 319's were to be cascaded from thameslink by new stock and would either go to FGW or up to Northern.

Speaking of the new thameslink stock any idea when the 1st new trainsis likely to appear in service?

9. jonesy3001

jonesy3001 Established Member

Are northern still getting the other 323`s from LM or is that on the back burner?
    Also will TPE be getting EMU`s for the scotland services to free up 185`s for the yorkshire routes?

10. ajax103

ajax103 Established Member

If you've got this month's issue of Rail, it goes into a bit of detail about Network Rail's new ERTMS testing facility at Hertford North where the signalling tests will be performed on a 5 mile section of track leaving the other track for regular services to use.

Tied in with this, Network Rail has explained on a recent visit that a lot more drivers are to be based/working at Hertford North in connection with these tests meaning new staff accommodation is urgently needed as the existing accommodation isn't suitable.

It also says that a 313, believed to be 313123 is to be used as the test train during this period.

As to the new Greater Thameslink EMUs, I believe one will be tested on the Hertford Loop - when though I don't know but at a guess 2013 at the earliest.

11. WatcherZero

WatcherZero Established Member

Thameslink order to be announced this year with first delivery approx 24 months later. So 2013/14 though with refurb required probably not significant numbers of cascades avaliable to enter service until 2015.

12. tbtc

tbtc Veteran Member

There are more than enough 319s to run both the Thames Valley services and the Lancashire Triangle (based on current plans/ operating levels).

However the "Thameslink will have some spare 319s" + "newly electrified lines will need EMUs" = "319s go to Thames Valley/ Lancashire Triangle" equation isn't guaranteed. 319s could go elsewhere (with other older EMUs moving west/north instead)

13. ajax103

What interests me is if Southern take over the existing TL Inners (St Albans to Luton via Sutton services and run it as proposed between Blackfriars and Blackfriars via Sutton instead.

If this is the case then would we NOT see the NXEMUs on the loop as they wouldn't actually be part of the Thameslink route as such and so any rolling stock would to be Southern's responsibility and not whoever succeeds FCC.

This being the case, they might decide to keep a small fleet of 319s for the Suttons - after all the 375/6s operated by South Eastern have both AC and DC equipment and they're only used on 3rd rail routes.

As to the GN, I'm sure the basic understanding is for the 365s to stay or be replaced by 377s with the 321s and 317s moving elsewhere.

Now if 319s don't end up going to work the Lancashire Triangle, then it probably would be better if Northern or their successor asked for the 321s from FCC to bolster their own 321 fleet especially as brand new EMUs would be a rarity.

14. WatcherZero

WatcherZero Established Member

How many would be needed for commuter services on the GWML, e.g. Oxford?

15. bluenoxid

bluenoxid Established Member

*cough*

Fits in well with the governments West Coast Track Access bid for the new West Coast franchise with trains to Blackpool. Goodbye Voyagers, goodbye. <D

16. ajax103

Exactly what I was thinking by the way, :)

17. bluenoxid

bluenoxid Established Member

Pfffftttt. That's what they all say :lol::lol::lol:

18. ajax103

Not my fault, I saw the post then forgot to reply is it? :lol:

19. tbtc

tbtc Veteran Member

Fair enough, there might be a 390 or two between Preston and Blackpool each day. But the four trains an hour which currently run that route (extending to Manchester/ Liverpool/ York) are going to remain DMU until further electrification is set up.

20. swt_passenger

swt_passenger Veteran Member

The DfT's application for the new franchisee to run extra trains to Blackpool etc was turned down last week, it was part of the same announcement that binned all the open access applications - I think we had a thread on it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.