• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northampton Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrCub

BBC Radio Northampton are running one of their current 'hot topics' which comes up quite often - the new Northampton station buillding which cost £2 to buiild is yet to open, despite being finished some time ago. The old building is still being used.

So, what's going on? Does anyone know why there is such a delay if the building has been finished?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MrCub

Hahahahahaha! £2 million, of course. Although I do love the concept of a two quid station!

gordonthemoron

Established Member
the roadway between the new and old stations still seems a mess, may be the reason why it hasn't opened. Wish they'd get a move on, the temporary bridge is a pain (in my knees)

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
BBC Radio Northampton are running one of their current 'hot topics' which comes up quite often - the new Northampton station buillding which cost £2 to buiild is yet to open, despite being finished some time ago. The old building is still being used.

So, what's going on? Does anyone know why there is such a delay if the building has been finished?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-29936887

BBC News said:
The opening of a £20m railway station redevelopment has been delayed by more than a month.

Northampton station's new building was due to open on 6 October but has been delayed by "unforeseen contractual issues" with power supply, Network Rail said, apologising to passengers.

The station, named Northampton Castle, replaces the existing 1960s building.

Sally Keeble, president of Northampton Rail Users' Group, said "heads needed to be knocked together".

bILLOO

the roadway between the new and old stations still seems a mess, may be the reason why it hasn't opened. Wish they'd get a move on, the temporary bridge is a pain (in my knees)

Agreed! I hate that never-ending stairway...

mbh

BBC is saying by 12th of Jan.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-30461891

The much-delayed £20m Northampton railway station will open no later than 12 January, Network Rail has announced.

It had been due to open on 6 October, but was delayed while Network Rail worked through a "snagging list".

Area director Terry Strickland said the delay had been "frustrating," but that the station would be a "fantastic addition" to the town.

Northampton South MP Brian Binley said "bad publicity" had pushed Network Rail into solving the problem.

Operator London Midland said it had started working to move staff and equipment into the building. The company said the process normally took three to four weeks.

London Midland's head of West Coast Services, Terry Oliver, said "Our priority now is to get the station ready for our passengers."

Mr Binley, who had called Network Rail "ill-mannered and arrogant" and threatened to raise the delays in Parliament, said: "One of the people I met with gave the game away when she said, 'I am really unhappy about the bad publicity you have created for us'.

"Sometimes you have to play your cards in a pretty robust fashion."

The 2,500 sq m station building is twice the size of the old one. Firms including Starbucks, Cafe Republic, WH Smith and Enterprise car rental will move in, while new lifts and an over-bridge to cross platforms will open on Monday.

Last edited by a moderator:

gordonthemoron

Established Member
the new bridge will run into the new station building once it is open, at the moment the shutters are still down so you have to exit through the old building

xydancer

London Midland has just confirmed that the new station building will indeed open on Monday January 12.

The press release continues...

At 2,500 square metres, the new building is more than twice the size of the old station. The public areas are more spacious and far better equipped to meet the 2.8 million annual passenger footfall.

The station is fully accessible with a lift between the car park entrance and the booking hall. The booking hall leads to a new overbridge with covered stairs and lifts to all platforms.

There are eight ticket gates on the main concourse; more than double the amount in the old station building. This will help to reduce queuing time and enable passengers to move through the station and down to platforms more easily.

Terry Oliver, London Midland’s head of route for West Coast services said, “London Midland committed to opening to station within 15 workings days and we’ve not gone back on our word. We made every effort to open the station earlier, but Christmas and New Year closures affected a number of our key suppliers.

“On 14 December we delivered an extra 36,000 seats every week on Northampton train services. I’m delighted we’re now building on that success by opening the new station just four weeks later”.

The development of the new station is led by a partnership between Network Rail, Northamptonshire County Council and Northampton Borough Council. The Government has invested £10 million, while other partners – including Network Rail and Northamptonshire County Council – are meeting the remainder of the £20m cost”.

Terry Strickland, area director for Network Rail, said: “The new station is a fantastic addition to the town. Its modern design and new facilities provide a fitting gateway to Northampton and is the latest example of investment in the rail network to meet the demands of an increasing number of passengers. We have all been frustrated by the delay to the opening but I hope everyone will agree the new station was worth the wait when it comes into use on 12 January.”

Cllr Jim Harker, leader of Northamptonshire County Council, said: “The new Northampton station will be a modern, fitting gateway into the town and our county and I’m delighted that work has now been completed. The county council is pleased to have been instrumental, including our critical financial support, in making this tremendous asset for Northampton become a reality.”

A0wen

On Moderation
Perhaps LM could do something about their rip-off parking prices at Northampton now they've got a nice new station.

Sat / Sun parking is £ 5.50, which compares badly with MK at £ 5, Wellingborough £ 4 and the Thameslink stations at £ 2.

Even most of the town centre car parks in Northampton are now free on the weekend.

Geezertronic

Established Member
Perhaps LM could do something about their rip-off parking prices at Northampton now they've got a nice new station.

Sat / Sun parking is £ 5.50, which compares badly with MK at £ 5, Wellingborough £ 4 and the Thameslink stations at £ 2.

Even most of the town centre car parks in Northampton are now free on the weekend.

£5.50 does seem to be the most expensive one that LM operate (according to http://www.londonmidland.com/download/108381/london-midland-car-park-charges-from-27-may-2014/) - or is it operated by a 3rd party on their behalf?

xydancer

I believe the car park is operated by LM, but feel free to correct me on that. It's been a long time since I used it.

Phase II of the redevelopment includes a new 1,300 space multi-storey car park on the site of the old station building, and that will have level access to the booking hall. My understanding is that this is being paid for by Northampton Borough Council, although no decision has yet been taken on who will operate it. But even if it is the Council, I suspect it's not going to have similar charging to the town centre multi-storey car parks (which are indeed free on Saturday and Sunday - and for the first 2 hours in the week).

Phase III is due to see the removal of the existing car park and the construction of commercial and light industrial properties.

davetheguard

Established Member
Has the proposal by the local council to rename it Northampton Castle now been dropped?

xydancer

The renaming idea still gets referred to in the Northampton Chronicle & Echo, but I'll be amazed if it ever happens officially.

The cynic in me says it has more to do with local politicians looking for reasons to get their names in the press than anything else.

I have to say that - for the moment at least - I find the new building rather bleak and stark. Things should improve when the coffee shops proper and WHS open, though.

What is a pain now (at least when it's cold or wet or both) is that there's no waiting room on platform 1, used for most London-bound services, the old one having been closed in readiness for demolition. I assume a new one is all part of phase II.

As an aside, looking one stop north, Long Buckby is due to get a new station building (at last!) to replace the present portakabin. It's part of the deal for the housing development that side of Station Road that has recently been approved by Daventry District Council. The plans also include a significant extension to the car park.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.