• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern £10 Rail Offer on again 23/09/19 to 24/11/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cumbrianbill

I've just been to buy 10 copies of the same paper for 5 days out. Is it time to bring the community together and list prices. In the Newcastle area they have Reach tickets in the Journal which costs £1.60 and in the Chronicle which costs 80p. Guess which one I bought? The Journal does appear in various outlets in Carlisle, near where I live, but I made the trip to Hexham for my tokens. How much do the other Reach and Johnson Press papers cost, and now that the name of the paper appears on the tokens will one be caught out using a Johnson Press token on a Reach application form?

Harpers Tate

Established Member
Sheffield Star 83p; three coupons needed = £2.49 per ticket/group of tickets

Karl

On Moderation
I just buy 12 copies, and the cashier looks at me as if I'm mad. I rip the tokens out and leave the copies outside as freebies.

AntoniC

I have been buying 3 x 85p copies of the Liverpool Echo for the last 4 days ( I will be buying another 6 copies tomorrow !) which has caused great confusion at the MtoGo shop at Liverpool Moorfields !.
I will have then enough for 6 vouchers , which I will be sharing with my Dad.

I have been buying 3 x 85p copies of the Liverpool Echo for the last 4 days ( I will be buying another 6 copies tomorrow !) which has caused great confusion at the MtoGo shop at Liverpool Moorfields !.
I will have then enough for 6 vouchers , which I will be sharing with my Dad.

As I understand it, if you have 12 tokens, you already have enough for 6 tickets, as the Reach offer only requires 2 tokens per form.

LeylandLen

Manchester Evening News (Reach ) requires 2 tokens per ticket, paper cost 85p (so £1.70)
Lancashire Evening Post requires (JP) 3 tokens, paper cost 83 p (so £2.49 )
Leyland/Chorley Guardian(JP) , weekly papers, also 3 tokens, paper cost £1.30 (so £3.49)

so its MEN for me ...I assumend it was 3 tokens whatever the paper ..

Last edited:

D.K.TAYLOR

Where do you get a MEN around here Len? I'm in Brig.
I was in Manchester Monday nipped in the local Sainsbury's for the MEN but i could not see any tokens in so used my 10p northern ticket to Liverpool and were in the Liverpool Echo

gc4946

Yorkshire Evening Post (JP) requires 3 tokens per ticket, paper comes out Mons-Sats, cost 85p per issue, tokens available daily until 12 October (so £2.55)
Already obtained 6 tokens, enough for my travel needs.

Last edited:

geoffk

Established Member
For completeness:
As I understand it, if you have 12 tokens, you already have enough for 6 tickets, as the Reach offer only requires 2 tokens per form.
Yes, I was concerned when I read three tokens above. I have two from the MEN and the accompanying text clearly states two tokens. I wonder why that is and whether it will cause confusion/arguments when buying tickets. So is it a separate application form for each newspaper group?

Camden

Established Member
Isn't the Manchester Evening News now one of those free papers that they hand out on the street?

gc4946

Yorkshire Evening Post (JP) requires 3 tokens per ticket, paper comes out Mons-Sats, cost 85p per issue, tokens available daily until 12 October (so £2.55)
Already obtained 6 tokens, enough for my travel needs.

Advert, dated Saturday 28th September in Yorkshire Evening Post

Attachments

• YEP Northern offer 28 Sept 2019 001.JPG
    YEP Northern offer 28 Sept 2019 001.JPG
    566.1 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

geoffk

Established Member
Yes. And it clearly says on the form how many tokens are needed. It used to be two tokens for all of them, but it changed in 2017.
Have downloaded my form and it all looks OK, except that the spaces where tokens have to be attached are too small! No doubt I can get round that.

Shotton

Does anyone have any experience getting a ticket issued at Chester?

Ideally, I'd like to issue the ticket on the morning of travel, however, if I'm likely to encounter a problem I will go in advance.

Cheers.

J.C.

Does anyone have any experience getting a ticket issued at Chester?

Ideally, I'd like to issue the ticket on the morning of travel, however, if I'm likely to encounter a problem I will go in advance.

Cheers.

I've had them issued at Chester without any trouble at all.

(Related, but off topic: I travelled from Halifax to Chester direct on 29 May this year on a day when Halifax station had no electricity due to a fire in a nearby mill and so the ticket office was closed. Both conductors on the train (there was a change on the way) were very reasonable and allowed me to travel to Chester without any difficulty and buy the ticket there because they can't be issued on the train. I anticipated problems, but problems there were none!)

Shotton

I've had them issued at Chester without any trouble at all.

(Related, but off topic: I travelled from Halifax to Chester direct on 29 May this year on a day when Halifax station had no electricity due to a fire in a nearby mill and so the ticket office was closed. Both conductors on the train (there was a change on the way) were very reasonable and allowed me to travel to Chester without any difficulty and buy the ticket there because they can't be issued on the train. I anticipated problems, but problems there were none!)
Cheers. In that case I'll get the ticket issued on the morning of travel.

J.C.

I've bought all my tickets on the train from the guards.

If you did Karl, that's a great result.
However the two conductors I encountered told me they couldn't sell them, so buying on the train isn't something I'd advise anyone to rely on.
The terms and conditions are here: https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/jpimedia
Condition 7:
Affix three tokens from participating newspapers to the application form and take to any staffed station within the Northern network. The tickets for this offer cannot be purchased on trains. (My bold.)

JC

geoffk

Established Member
I used my ticket last Wednesday to travel Littleborough - Leeds - York - Hull - Sheffield - Hope Valley - Manchester - Littleborough.
A question - is this ticket available without the newspaper vouchers and, if so, how much would it cost? I can't find anything on Northern's website.

Shotton

I did indeed manage to get the ticket issued, and what a brilliant ticket it was.

Travelled on Saturday, covered the S+C and Cumbrian Coast + Furness lines in one day, as bit of 195 action from Lancaster to Preston and a VT advance Preston -> Warrington got me back in Chester just after 21:00.

Status
Not open for further replies.