• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern 10p Tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

melena

Maneged to get a Doncaster to Bridlington & return for 20p. Sale now seems to have ended.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HSP 2

Thanks for this. I'm hopeful of going up the Settle-Carlisle. I've tickets Lancaster to Leeds and then a connection Leeds to Carlisle, but I'd far rather spend two hours in Skipton (where I've never been) than have forty minutes in central Leeds. No good though if I end up having to spends two hours on Skipton platforms waiting for my connection! Or even worse, a penalty fare for being where I'm not meant to be!

I've bought a ticket Leeds to Skipton also (for 10p why not?) but the timings are all askew. :(

2 Hours in Skipton find the good pie shop near the town and go back to the station.
Keighley has the preserved railway.
Bingley has the locks.
Kirkstall Forge has the Abbey .
So lots to see on the line.

SteveM70

Established Member
2 Hours in Skipton find the good pie shop near the town and go back to the station.
Keighley has the preserved railway.
Bingley has the locks.
Kirkstall Forge has the Abbey .
So lots to see on the line.

And Saltaire has Salt’s Mill if you fancy looking at David Hockney stuff and having a nice brew

woodhouse122

Maneged to get a Doncaster to Bridlington & return for 20p. Sale now seems to have ended.
i managed to blag a return to there from sheffield,plus a trip to Scarbados and another trip to Hull .will be nice to get some cheap 170 mileage in :)

kieron

Established Member
It hasn't ended yet, as you can still find them in the ticket search thing by asking for slower routes. The promotional page has gone, though, so it won't be long.

Class195

113A75C3-1D60-4D22-8D54-0690DCC50475.jpeg
Thanks for this. I'm hopeful of going up the Settle-Carlisle. I've tickets Lancaster to Leeds and then a connection Leeds to Carlisle, but I'd far rather spend two hours in Skipton (where I've never been) than have forty minutes in central Leeds. No good though if I end up having to spends two hours on Skipton platforms waiting for my connection! Or even worse, a penalty fare for being where I'm not meant to be!

I've bought a ticket Leeds to Skipton also (for 10p why not?) but the timings are all askew. :(

I’d suggest having the two hour break in Skipton.

There’s much to do in this historic North Yorkshire town but I'd heartedly recommend a walk to the castle and then down to the canal via the famous Skipton pie and mash shop.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Eg: buy 10p Stoke-Manchester and board at Congleton?

I’ve not heard anything but as you can imagine it’s incredibly tempting, don’t want to end up needing the Disputes & Prosecutions thread though!

I started a Crewe to Manchester at Sandbach during the last wave of 10p tickets. The guard was a bit offhand but not overly so.

palmersears

Established Member
Got New Mills Central to Doncaster (with a split at Sheffield) for 40p so I can get some more IETs in the book of sights. Only issue is they aren't appearing in the Northern app, so I'll have to ring them next week to get them to push them through.

Blinkbonny

Happy to say I encountered nothing but helpfulness from staff in my attempt to do this today. (i.e. stop short Lancaster to Leeds: Start short Leeds to Carlisle.)

But for those of you naysayers who said there was nothing to do in Skipton for two hours: shame on you! It was an excellent stop over for a sunny winter's afternoon.

Canal, Medieval church and Castle! Though I must admit if you took away the charity shops the high Street would be sadly depleted.

As an aside what an act of cultural vandalism it would have been to close the Settle and Carlisle.

HSP 2

Some of the things that I remember about my firsts visits to Skipton in the 1970s with my DAD (gone but not forgotten).
Was the pie shop.
Then it was seeing the old Pullman coach body that was in use as a rest room railway mans club, how DAD got us access I don't know!
Going over the S & C for the first time on the Thames Clyde Express IIRC it was a class 45 all Mk1s apart from a Gresley buffet car, sat in that for some of the run but the hard plastic seats were not up to DADS standard so we went into a "proper" coach. Then it was back to Preston behind a pair of D400s (class 50s) over Shap.
Then it was into the chippy at Preston near to where the Station pub is now for stake and kidney pud. and chips.
A very good day out, I do do it now and again but some things are missing. I'm 60 and writing this has got tears running down my face and I don't care who know it.

Status
Not open for further replies.