• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern 319s

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeGJ1984

Are the 319s used on most of these services run by Northern:

Liverpool Lime Street to Manchester Victoria via St Helens Junction
Liverpool Lime Street to Manchester Airport via St Helens Junction and Manchester Piccadilly
Liverpool Lime Street to Manchester Oxford Road via Warrington Central?

Are 156s ever used on these routes (I'm hoping to get one or more 319s on Saturday 7th May)? Or are they all 319s? Are they any diagrams available?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

1D53

Established Member
The route via Warrington Central is not electrified so that will be diesel. The vast majority of services between Liverpool - Airpor/Victoria/Wigan NW/Preston are Class 319.

Established Member
Not on the Warrington Central route as it is not electrified yet. Yes to all of the above but unsure about any services still booked for DMUs as I think there maybe one or two at the extremes of the day but 319s should be the main daytime traction Mon-Sun unless any fail.

319s also do Liverpool - Warrington Bank Quay , Liverpool - Wigan / Preston.

Last edited:

fowler9

Established Member
You could spend a couple of hour just travelling up and down between Lime Street, Edge Hill, Wavertree Tech Park, Broad Green, Roby and Huyton and get a fair few. Just get on and off wherever suits to get another going the other way. Most of the services out that way should be 319's

Bevan Price

Established Member
The route via Warrington Central is not electrified so that will be diesel. The vast majority of services between Liverpool - Airpor/Victoria/Wigan NW/Preston are Class 319.

A few Liverpool - Manchester Victoria services are still dmu - I suspect this may be to get units between Liverpool & Newton Heath depot without using ecs movements. A couple of weeks ago, a Class 150 on the 07:42 from Lime St. was sent to Southport after arrival at Manchester Victoria.

Loop & Link

A few Liverpool - Manchester Victoria services are still dmu - I suspect this may be to get units between Liverpool & Newton Heath depot without using ecs movements. A couple of weeks ago, a Class 150 on the 07:42 from Lime St. was sent to Southport after arrival at Manchester Victoria.

Only a DMU on a Saturday.

Every service Lime St-Man Vic is an EMU Mon-Fri.

On a Saturday nearly everything is an EMU except the Bank Quay's. And 0742/1642/1737 Lime St-Man Vic. Plus a trip to Blackpool for obvious reasons.

Last edited:

D365

Veteran Member
So they will be like they were in 1989? That's OK, they were fine then.

The 319/3 units that have gone to Northern were completed in 1990, so if restored to "1989 condition" there wouldn't be much left... ;)

AM9

Veteran Member
The 319/3 units that have gone to Northern were completed in 1990, so if restored to "1989 condition" there wouldn't be much left... ;)

OK accepting the semantics, they would go back to their NSE build but in whatever livery their TOC decides on. It's more a reply about any expectations of air conditioning, converting to ac traction, 2+2 seating etc.., - none of which was part of their "as new standard".

tom1649

OK accepting the semantics, they would go back to their NSE build but in whatever livery their TOC decides on. It's more a reply about any expectations of air conditioning, converting to ac traction, 2+2 seating etc.., - none of which was part of their "as new standard".

I must be the only person who prefers opening windows to AC.

MML

Top of my wish list would be to replace those awful seats. :roll:
Loads of padding yes, but so low your knees always become rather entwined with the person sitting opposite. Too much of an invasion of personal space for my liking. I'd prefer the upright seating on the Class 377. Having said that, the seats are so comfy when returning on a late night service with hardly anybody on-board. The only problem then was not falling asleep and missing the stop. :D

Last edited:

Mordac

Established Member
Are there any plans to start running the Liverpool to Preston services with 319s when more arrive?

notlob.divad

Established Member
Are there any plans to start running the Liverpool to Preston services with 319s when more arrive?

Most of those are run by 319s that is why it runs to Preston and not on to Blackpool. However you do still get the odd train and Sundays through to/from Blackpool which are DMU and if there are issues with 319s they will put a couple of sprinters on in place.

Statto

Established Member
Top of my wish list would be to replace those awful seats. :roll:
Loads of padding yes, but so low your knees always become rather entwined with the person sitting opposite. Too much of an invasion of personal space for my liking. I'd prefer the upright seating on the Class 377. Having said that, the seats are so comfy when returning on a late night service with hardly anybody on-board. The only problem then was not falling asleep and missing the stop. :D

Agreed the seats are awful & don't match up with the windows.

Mordac

Established Member
They are using them on that service now

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Most of those are run by 319s that is why it runs to Preston and not on to Blackpool. However you do still get the odd train and Sundays through to/from Blackpool which are DMU and if there are issues with 319s they will put a couple of sprinters on in place.

Fair enough, I don't go to Preston often enough to notice, and they are show up as timetabled for Sprinters in RTT, but I guess that is so one can stand in in case a 319 goes belly-up (which seems to be quite common)?

tom1649

Agreed the seats are awful & don't match up with the windows.

There's a lot of hate for the BR Ashbourne seats on here but I find them more comfortable than many new seating types. Perhaps it's because I'm not very tall.

Status
Not open for further replies.