• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern 323s refurbishment and cascade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geeves

Established Member
I believe a siding was fettled back into use south of the station that meant a 6 car could stable out of the way at Stoke if needs be.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ic31420

If there was a clearance problem for the Manchester-Bolton-Preston route for those units, what might have been the problem?

Signalling compatibility / interference was my understanding. Apparently the new kit on the Bolton line has less immunity aiui.

scrapy

Established Member
I believe a siding was fettled back into use south of the station that meant a 6 car could stable out of the way at Stoke if needs be.
It can (don't think the siding was ever actually out of use, but not normally required) but there aren't the paths for it to be used other than early morning or in the evening.

Energy

Established Member
Just got this from the WMT Livery thread.
The 9 units which are not going to Northern staying at WMR has been a rumour for a while, nothing much has come of it and there hasn't been any evidence of them planning to keep the 9 323s. Its not really related to Northern as they already have enough EMUs.

warwickshire

On Moderation
They may be cleared but there is no booked work and they definitely haven’t made unplanned appearances.

They may have been on Man Picc-Hazel Grove services, but zero chance of them going to Blackpool or Preston via Chorley only Piccadilly and Liverpool sign 323’s (for now) and only Piccadilly Drivers (not guards) sign Preston-Hazel Grove in its entirety + 323’s. Liverpool only sign the Preston-Blackpool + 323 combo section.
Yes 323 most certainly do work the local services only between Manchester Piccadilly and hazel grove. Especially the last services that work and start from Manchester Piccadilly.

SansHache

Signalling compatibility / interference was my understanding. Apparently the new kit on the Bolton line has less immunity aiui.

Class 323s were authorised for interim service operation on the Bolton route on 17th May 2019 with certification for full service operation following on 11th July 2019. There were no particular issues with Class 323 compatibility on this route. The only area with limitations for Class 323 operation was Manchester Victoria where there were potential issues with specific track circuits. This has subsequently been resolved.

Once the additional Class 323s come north from the West Midlands I would expect them to become more common on the Bolton route.

jonnyfan

The main restriction on 323s operating along the Bolton route is the lack of crew training, only the Piccadilly drivers that sign the Bolton route to Preston sign 323s. Victoria and Blackpool crews do not sign 323s. And Piccadilly conductors do not sign the route to Bolton so no 323 in passenger service can operate up the Bolton route. Lots of training needed to get 323s on the Bolton route

childwallblues

Established Member
The main restriction on 323s operating along the Bolton route is the lack of crew training, only the Piccadilly drivers that sign the Bolton route to Preston sign 323s. Victoria and Blackpool crews do not sign 323s. And Piccadilly conductors do not sign the route to Bolton so no 323 in passenger service can operate up the Bolton route. Lots of training needed to get 323s on the Bolton route
Liverpool drivers sign 323s but not the Bolton route. Do Wigan drivers sign the 323s as they probably sign Bolton-Preston?

jonnyfan

Training will be prioritise the 195s and 331s, as well as the 769 Flex units - I suppose once that's done, attention will turn to 323s so that the additional units from WMT can be brought in and the 319s phased out. Maybe towards the end of next year we will see some 323s via Bolton

ic31420

Class 323s were authorised for interim service operation on the Bolton route on 17th May 2019 with certification for full service operation following on 11th July 2019. There were no particular issues with Class 323 compatibility on this route. The only area with limitations for Class 323 operation was Manchester Victoria where there were potential issues with specific track circuits. This has subsequently been resolved.

Once the additional Class 323s come north from the West Midlands I would expect them to become more common on the Bolton route.

Cheers

My recollection was probably pre mid 2019.

BigGB

In theory it could be done with route/traction conducting but I can't think of any reason why control would bother arranging that.

Status
Not open for further replies.